OIL by Friday?

good luck boys. if i draw my deer tag this year ill be in the OIL pool moving forward. then i can have a whole new draw to see "not selected" in next year

I’ve always looked at this in the glass half empty way, thinking that OIL draw is a disadvantage as you only get one chance at a YES, while now I see the advantage of having only one potential NO!

Come on SHEEP tag!

I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company in August a couple years ago because Idaho wouldn't refund my NR sheep app.

Might take a while this year. They're trying out a cutting edge new process, they're gonna double check the results before they release them! Last year they had the public proof it, to save on labor costs.

Just gave me an idea that would increase draw odds and revenue. How about no refunds? See who’s serious about a tag then :unsure:

Just gave me an idea that would increase draw odds and revenue. How about no refunds? See who’s serious about a tag then :unsure:
I bet it would get the odds in double digits anyway on some of the OIL hunts. That is some serious cash to throw out there at 2700 ish dollars I think it was this year. Would be still be worse odds than putting $2700 on black twice, 25 percent odds on that, and then paying for Canada. Even at $1000 a tag but no refund would really be interesting. I bet I spend that on raffles every year anyway. I applied for one of the more "easy" to draw but physical moose units along the MT border this year after about 15 years of trying for SE units, here is hoping ?.

(n)

Draw Results Schedule​

Controlled Hunts Results Posted
Spring BearEarly March
Spring TurkeyMid-March
Moose, Bighorn Sheep, and Mountain GoatEarly June
* Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear, Swan, and Turkey - First DrawingEarly July
Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, and Fall Bear - Second DrawingLate August
It is the responsibility of the hunter to find out whether he or she was successful in drawing a controlled hunt.

(n)

Draw Results Schedule​

Controlled HuntsResults Posted
Spring BearEarly March
Spring TurkeyMid-March
Moose, Bighorn Sheep, and Mountain GoatEarly June
* Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Fall Bear, Swan, and Turkey - First DrawingEarly July
Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, and Fall Bear - Second DrawingLate August
It is the responsibility of the hunter to find out whether he or she was successful in drawing a controlled hunt.
Where did that come from?

OutdoorWriter isn’t the only person capable of cut/paste off fish and game website. I like checking multiple times a day it reminds me of that famous Jim Carey movie line!

Pretty sad that the state of Nevada is going to run a much more complicated draw in 10 days, not 10 business days, 10 total days, meanwhile IDFG can’t even get us results on the simplest of draws in 16 days

Pretty sad that the state of Nevada is going to run a much more complicated draw in 10 days, not 10 business days, 10 total days, meanwhile IDFG can’t even get us results on the simplest of draws in 16 days
Look at Wyoming elk…NR have to apply in January for a May drawing. Thing is they give a May 19 date for when results will be available. Not this guessing game “by early June” when some years it is as early as May 13 (2021). They want to have trust in their system? Be transparent and consistent. Why does my application show a NR fee in the info part of my application? FnG said they “are aware” of the incorrect fee statement, doesn’t mean my resident application was counted as NR. It doesn’t give me good feelings about the group running this outfit.

Look at Wyoming elk…NR have to apply in January for a May drawing. Thing is they give a May 19 date for when results will be available. Not this guessing game “by early June” when some years it is as early as May 13 (2021). They want to have trust in their system? Be transparent and consistent. Why does my application show a NR fee in the info part of my application? FnG said they “are aware” of the incorrect fee statement, doesn’t mean my resident application was counted as NR. It doesn’t give me good feelings about the group running this outfit.
Mine shows the nonresident fee too, hadn’t paid any attention to it up to this point, probably how things like 14 extra nonresident tags awarded and taken back happen??‍♂️

Last 7 years - OIL results dates:

5/13/2021 (over-issued to NR)
5/15/2020
5/17/2019
6/08/2018 (new contracted vendor)
5/17/2017
5/17/2016
5/15/2015

Look at Wyoming elk…NR have to apply in January for a May drawing. Thing is they give a May 19 date for when results will be available. Not this guessing game “by early June” when some years it is as early as May 13 (2021). They want to have trust in their system? Be transparent and consistent. Why does my application show a NR fee in the info part of my application? FnG said they “are aware” of the incorrect fee statement, doesn’t mean my resident application was counted as NR. It doesn’t give me good feelings about the group as running this outfit.
I also noticed the Nonresident fee and called too make sure I wasn’t in the Nonresident draw pool. They said something about it not being entered in correctly but it wouldn’t have any affect in the draw. I don’t feel good about it either!!!!! You’d think a draw that simple wouldn’t be a **** show every year!!!

IF&G has egg on their face with the way tags are issued. Starting with Nonresident issuance of the deer & elk tags in November to the no confidence in a cleanly run draw for OIL tags. They should do something positive to give everybody confidence in the issuance of tags!!! I also believe they should set a release date that’s 10 days after the last day to apply, and release the results on that date!

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, with a draw as simple as they have going they need to actually put everybody’s name in a big bucket and hold a live drawing event complete with pancake breakfast/big lunch, they could raise extra money for conservation as a lot of hunters would attend and spend $10-20/plate. An added benefit is everyone would get to see the process and I would have more faith in that than I do their computers. Maine does it with their moose draws or did last I knew. Another benefit to doing it that way is it would cost pennies on the dollar compared to what they are paying to have somebody write a simple random number generator program for them now.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, with a draw as simple as they have going they need to actually put everybody’s name in a big bucket and hold a live drawing event complete with pancake breakfast/big lunch, they could raise extra money for conservation as a lot of hunters would attend and spend $10-20/plate. An added benefit is everyone would get to see the process and I would have more faith in that than I do their computers. Maine does it with their moose draws or did last I knew. Another benefit to doing it that way is it would cost pennies on the dollar compared to what they are paying to have somebody write a simple random number generator program for them now.
They could have that screwed up in the first 5 minutes!

what a bunch of simp ass bitches! The date for results is June 10, you knew that when you applied. Everyday before that is actually a gift from the IDFG.
Yes, it really doesn’t make a difference if they come out May 13 or June 10. The date, however, has never been June 10. If they want to make it June 10, then draw the line in the sand, don’t release them early. I didn’t mind waiting 4 months to get the “unsuccessful” for Wyoming elk. They had a specific date the draw results would be out. No daily checking. Trophy species include so few tags, it could be done in days. But we get this “results by early June” which is a bit broad. But I agree, not a big deal.

Look at that…woke up to an email with the Wyoming elk results, one day early. All I got from IDFG was an email asking me to buy super tags…maybe after the moose results?
Don’t forget your appreciation post for the IDFG for getting the results out weeks in advance.

and they are always up before the posted date online!
wasn’t it just 4-5 years ago they actually missed that results deadline, same year they extended the application period in the deer/elk/antelope draw because people complained they couldn’t log on and apply on June 5th

Jeez! I looked at this thread and didn’t notice much of it was from 2022. I started checking for results.

I thought I used up all of my luck pulling the only non-resident Wyoming area 2 mountain goat tag after the non-resident tag cuts but apparently I still had considerable luck left, I drew non-resident moose in area 55. Two OIL tags in the same year, this should be incredibly fun. I already put in for 5 weeks of vacation at work and have more if I need it.

I thought I used up all of my luck pulling the only non-resident Wyoming area 2 mountain goat tag after the non-resident tag cuts but apparently I still had considerable luck left, I drew non-resident moose in area 55. Two OIL tags in the same year, this should be incredibly fun. I already put in for 5 weeks of vacation at work and have more if I need it.
Congratulations

I still say they should make it non refundable to apply. Look how many of you guys can’t go a couple weeks with out your money back! Think how good the odds would be with everyone who isn’t serious enough to pony up for a chance dropping out

Last edited:
I still say they should make it non refundable to apply. Look how many if you guys can’t go a couple weeks with out your money back! Think how good the odds should be with everyone who isn’t serious enough to pony up for a chance dropping out
Just because i wonder where my refund is doesn't mean I have to have the money. I just think it's wrong to not refund promptly like all the other states!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom