Old cars

Here's one of mine...all original with the straight six motor..1950 model..The Eagle Bar car show is coming next month if anybody is interested..

1950 GMC 1 Ton.jpg

My dad's "work" truck at the service stations he owned from the early 60s into the early 80s was a 1947 Chevy.

I bought a 1946 Willy's jeep in the mid-60s, completely rebuilt the 4-banger in it & then sold it in 1978. Here it is waiting for paint.

post-82-1189639812.jpg

I towed it behind a 1953 Ford panel truck for several years. I converted the truck to 12V & replaced the staight six with a rebuilt 292 out of 1959 Fairlane.

My grandfather w/his Kaibab buck. Truck in the background

popdeer.jpg

Truck & jeep together
post-82-1189639802.jpg

The truck after a paint job. The jeep also got a coat of the same orange paint. The name on the front fender was Miss Carriage.

post-82-1189634739.jpg

Last edited:
I found a photo of my Willys after it was painted.

post-82-1189639820.jpg

This is another oldie I owned circa 1962-63 just before I bought the '53 Ford truck. It's a 1950 Chevy 'woody' station wagon that's was in pristine condition. This was my first mule deer hunt in AZ.

post-82-1189639861.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of old cars...

Although these aren't the actual ones, they are near identical to the first two I owned.

The Ford Vic was red & white until I wrecked it a bit at school in Dayton, Ohio. So when I had it repaired I had them 'nose' & 'deck' it, then paint with 15 coats of black lacquer. It had the long cruiser skirts on it.

From this:
58580vick.jpg
To this:

30459black.jpg

41442ch101316684312x.jpg

The other car I owned at the same time was this little gem -- a 1956 'Bird with a 312" engine & 3 on the floor. I towed it behind the Ford when we moved to AZ from NJ in Jan. 1962.

84606sl1600.jpg

My Dad bought a brand-new 1956 Ford Fairlane when he got out of the service in New York City..and drove it all the way back home to K.Falls, Or with me and Mom in it too..it had a 390 Thunderbird with overdrive and duel exhaust..1973 it blew a head gasket just before I was starting to drive and they couldn't afford to get it fixed and sold it for $300...in its day that thing could haul ass and was built like a tank..

My Dad bought a brand-new 1956 Ford Fairlane when he got out of the service in New York City..and drove it all the way back home to K.Falls, Or with me and Mom in it too..it had a 390 Thunderbird with overdrive and duel exhaust..1973 it blew a head gasket just before I was starting to drive and they couldn't afford to get it fixed and sold it for $300...in its day that thing could haul ass and was built like a tank..
My dad probably had a hand in building that car, but I'm pretty sure there was no 390 engine or dual exhausts in 1956. Only factory engines were a straight six or one of three V8s, of which the largest was 312 cu. in. The 352 & 390 engines came later. So your dad's 390 had to be installed at some later year.

If that engine was available, I can guarantee our 1956 would have had one in it. My dad worked for Ford, first at the plant in Edgewater, NJ until it closed, then as a forman on the assembly line in the Mahwah, NJ plant. Back then, he was able to order from a local dealer and personally shepherd every one of our new cars (1949-54-56-61) along the line, making sure every possible upgrade was added. We owned the '54 & '56 when I started driving in 1958. My dad drove the 54; I drove the '56 then. The '56 became mine outright after he bought the '61 & moved to AZ.

I bought the T-bird from a friend for $1500 with the money we received as gifts when we got married in NJ in Oct. 1961. After we moved to AZ, I had it painted Bahama blue, which was a Cadillac color. Sold it a year later for $2,500 to make a downpayment on a new house. I've been kicking myself in the head ever since. :ROFLMAO:

Ironically, when we bought a house in AZ after returning to AZ from CO in 1979, one of our neighbors worked at the Sanderson Ford dealership and had completely restored a 1956 T-bird to like new condition. He even had disassembled it so he coud have the entire chassis sandbasted. I remember him telling me that he had to pay about $200 for the rubber gasket around the rear window of the hardtop. When he died in about 1990, I asked his wife about the car. She said the dealer where he had worked offered her $75K for it, so she took it.

Last edited:
If I Remember Right?

The 390's didn't show up until 61-62?
Yeah, that's about the time. Prior to that there were several V8s larger than the 312. I'm pretty sure the Edsels had either a 352 or 360 in them. After the 390, Ford came out with the 427, which was the darling of the racing world for a while.

Last edited:
Yes!

427 Fords Are BAD-ASS!
I forgot to mention that my dad's '61 station wagon that he drove to AZ towing a loaded 5x12 U-Haul had the 352 in it.

On the way out to AZ with my '56 towing the T-bird, I blew a piston ring somehwere in Louisiana. For the rest of the way, I used almost as much oil as I did gas, but I sure killed a lot of mosquitos along the way. :rolleyes:

It was kind of funny because the day after we arrived in Phx, I went out to drive it to my dad's service staion to work on it. It woudn't start that one last time. Wound up towing it there with a chain.

It was as good as new after a complete rebuild. My wife drove it for another 1 1/2 yrs. but finally made me buy something with AC. With our 3rd kiddo due in a few months, we opted for a used 1962 Mercury wagon. I had the Ford panel truck then. In a fit of stupidity, a couple years later, we traded the Merc in for a used '69 Camaro Super Sport with a 396 engine and a 4-speed manual. It was quick & pretty -- all decked out in silver with black stripes all over. Looked something like the one in the photo at the end but also had stripes on the hood. Not quite a family car, however.

That was about the same time I bought my first new truck -- a 1/2/-ton, 2-WD '71 GMC. Then we did a brandy new '73 Pontiac LeMans & a 3/4-ton 4X4 '73 Chevy and so on and so forth. All our vehicles over the last 50 years have been new ones.

1627431037292.png

And of course the money pit. While it now has a 408 full roller, I have the original 302 laying around somewhere.

Incidentally, there really isn’t such a thing as a “numbers matching” Bronco as the engine serial numbers aren’t matched to the frame VIN. Besides all original like mine :ROFLMAO:, the closest thing to numbers matching is to have the glove box door where many of the build details are recorded.View attachment 45054
Hey Blue... what size lift and tires are you running? That's a nice looking Bronco.. I have a 73 that I have had for years.. No Rust, new paint, new Transmission, and new 302.. now that kids are getting older it's time to start working on it again

Nice!! Love all modified cars and trucks. Had a 05 Duramax modded with over 600hp at the rear. Bought all the parts for it while in Iraq. Now we have armed EPA agents (fricking hippies) raiding shops that help sell these parts.

Hey Blue... what size lift and tires are you running? That's a nice looking Bronco.. I have a 73 that I have had for years.. No Rust, new paint, new Transmission, and new 302.. now that kids are getting older it's time to start working on it again
That’s a 4” suspension lift with a 2 inch body lift. The body lift is handy when swapping engines and trannies and such.

The tires are 36” swampers. Bias ply. Not exactly highway friendly. I’m going to some 35’s soon. It’s all I can do to lift one up on the spare tire carrier anymore.

And theres no way I’m beating one of those big bastards off of a beadlock with a rock when I’m on the trail. Time to simplify.

That’s a 4” suspension lift with a 2 inch body lift. The body lift is handy when swapping engines and trannies and such.

The tires are 36” swampers. Bias ply. Not exactly highway friendly. I’m going to some 35’s soon. It’s all I can do to lift one up on the spare tire carrier anymore.

And theres no way I’m beating one of those big bastards off of a beadlock with a rock when I’m on the trail. Time to simplify.
Nice!! I hear you there. Would you mind posting a side shot of your Bronco?

Hey ODW!

You Shoulda Kept That Silver Car!:D
Yeah, that one & the T-Bird. I would have been rich really early in life instead of poor late in life. :ROFLMAO:

I can't recall the exact year, but sometime in the early 1980s, I bought my oldest son a used 1969 Charger w/ 383 engine-- one of ones that has become sort of a classic now. He had it all repainted & reupholstered. Then he was driving north to Durango, Co & blew the engine on the Navajo Res. near Cameron, AZ. Luckily our insurance paid for a tow all the way back to Phoenix. He did a complete rebuild at my dad's station. He sold it in 1986 to buy a Nissan 4x4 King Cab like that one I had with the first Nissan V6 rather than a 4-banger.

Just bought me a nice project! 1969 Chevrolet K20, 4x4, 4SPD, PS, PB 350 cid.. it runs great but it's very low geared.. I'm super excited tho! ?

25800.jpeg

Back to the drawing board; oil pan has metal stuff in it and it appears as though the bearings are shot. Everyting from the intake up, including the heads, look nearly untouched. Short block on order.

Ax3CDx1.jpg

I turned 14 in 1961..... this is a clone of our family car. My Dad never had the patience to teach me to butter bread, so teaching me to drive was out of the question. I’d been driving farm vehicles for years so there wasn’t a lot I didn’t already know. Regardless, when I turned 14, I asked for the keys.

In those days, anyone with a drivers license could be your mentor passenger. By buddy was 16 and licensed.

I just figured all cars were the same in those days. I soon learned they weren’t. I had to defend the family honor at lot on those warm summer nights in 1961. That sucker would go like a hawk on a duck.

It’s pure coincident I-didn’t kill myself and 3 or 4 other jokers that summer.

Sure wish I had it in the drive way again.

B574F5CB-C5F9-4D6D-9140-66F6331CC671.jpeg

Hey doc?

You Over Tac it?
Nope, shitty build. I thought I had a blown head gasket. Nope. The block is not reliable enought to keep me happy. Pistons are probably ok, cam is not, rocker arms are not, crank might be...I just decided to order a new short block.

I did not know until today how much a blower kit or these aluminum heads were. Crap. They looked in really good shape and look nearly unused.

I Think We Best Get doc a REV-LIMITER!:D
I used the vapor coming out of the driver's side oil breather as a guide. Took my laser heat gun and put dots on the heads, block, radiator and radiator shroud...in multiple places. Never got a reading higher than 182.

Yet there was high pressure water shooting about 10 feet high.
I placed a welding blanket over the radiator cap and used it to shield me from any hot water, in case you are wondering, Homer.

Hey Lumpy?

Did it have a 312 V-8 in it?
The guy that bought if from my Dad said it did. He took it to Calgary and entered it in drag races. Don’t know how he did but he went every weekend so I’m guessing he was enjoying himself. It scared the sh-t out of me more than once. I could hardly touch the brake. LOL

I used the vapor coming out of the driver's side oil breather as a guide. Took my laser heat gun and put dots on the heads, block, radiator and radiator shroud...in multiple places. Never got a reading higher than 182.

Yet there was high pressure water shooting about 10 feet high.
I placed a welding blanket over the radiator cap and used it to shield me from any hot water, in case you are wondering, Homer.
Head Gasket......

hmmmm.....just trying to think of what else could pressure the cooling system since you said it wasn't heat....
Same here; head gasket was my first thought. I looked at both gaskets but couldn't see a fault. BUT the mech said two of the head bolts were not tight. Doesn't matter as the motor will be made whole in a couple weeks. Summit racing shipped a block on Saturday.

uh....probably unrealistic......but was that loose headbolt so loose it was raised high enough that that rocker arm could reach it???

Same here; head gasket was my first thought. I looked at both gaskets but couldn't see a fault. BUT the mech said two of the head bolts were not tight. Doesn't matter as the motor will be made whole in a couple weeks. Summit racing shipped a block on Saturday.

I sooooo want that motor in my ‘72 gmc.

I'd Surely Check Rocker Ratio's!

Length of Push Rods!

Rocker Adjustments!

Are any of the Rocker Studs Bent or Broke?

It lives. FINALLY got the pushrods, got the last few bolts to round out the supertrapp diffuser and the last few bolts from header to block installed. Every bolt attached to or in the motor is new. Once the guages get installed and and a little break in...back on the road in time for another blizzard.

FkPLx6H.jpg

$250 for this; all to avoid detonation/pinging. Motor compression is about 9 to 1. The folks from Holley/Weiand told me, given my motor, aluminum heads, blower, carbs etc. I was close to 16 to 1 effective compression ratio. This will help the blower turn a little slower and drop the effective compression ratio to about 12 to 1.
$370 for a drive belt.

$250 for this; all to avoid detonation/pinging. Motor compression is about 9 to 1. The folks from Holley/Weiand told me, given my motor, aluminum heads, blower, carbs etc. I was close to 16 to 1 effective compression ratio. This will help the blower turn a little slower and drop the effective compression ratio to about 12 to 1.
$370 for a drive belt.
Hell yea!

Don't remember a 325 horse engine, but you're right about the L34, L78 and L89. I was infatuated with the 1967 and know way more about that year car. mtmuley
My first car was a 65 Impala SS. 325 hp with a Muncie 4 speed. Scary for a 15-16 yr old

My first car was a 65 Impala SS. 325 hp with a Muncie 4 speed. Scary for a 15-16 yr old
This was exactly like my Dad’s when I was 14, with a learners permit. We were allowed to drive with anyone with a drivers license. My buddy was 16.

That sucker was like greased lighting. Can’t believe I never wrecked it.

We had one paved road in our community. Winding gravel roads where as wild as it gets in 1961. lol.

CBB607A0-E8D1-4CAC-AF2B-06FE22E0AFB0.jpeg

My dad told me the only cool car he ever had was a 32 Ford with the flat head V8. He bought it just before he got drafted into WWII. He parked it in his dad's garage and when he got out, he couldn't wait to take it for a spin. While he was gone his sister drove it and wrecked it. Things went downhill from there.

My dad told me the only cool car he ever had was a 32 Ford with the flat head V8. He bought it just before he got drafted into WWII. He parked it in his dad's garage and when he got out, he couldn't wait to take it for a spin. While he was gone his sister drove it and wrecked it. Things went downhill from there.
32 Ford huh, “if you’re gonna loose, may as well loose big.” ?

'76. I'm the 2nd owner. had the 360 in it but I built a 428 CJ for it and put a gear vendor between the 4spd and the T case. fun to drive but I seldom do.
I'm the 2nd owner of a '74 that had 30k mi. on it when I bought it in '84. Speedometer has rolled over several times since. It had the 360... now a 390. Needs an upgrade on the engine again

Pretty hard to beat the 390 . that's what I'd have done if I hadn't had a 428 in the barn. it's amazing how many new parts are still made for the FE's, you can build most anything it's just a matter of how much you want to spend.

Pretty hard to beat the 390 . that's what I'd have done if I hadn't had a 428 in the barn. it's amazing how many new parts are still made for the FE's, you can build most anything it's just a matter of how much you want to spend.
The power steering took a dump probably 25 yrs. ago so I just took it off... keeps my arms in shape. I wouldn't mind replacing it, I think they called it power assist. Haven't needed or looked for any major parts in a long time but I have bought a few parts from LMC. I should just look for another truck to rob parts from as needed. Wouldn't mind dropping a modern crate engine in it

That scout looks long, is that the Traveler version ?

Mule, if you want to fix your power steering check out the kit from Benchworks. it replaces all the Bendix power assist crap with an integral system . it's not cheap but it's a fantastic upgrade every high boy needs.

That scout looks long, is that the Traveler version ?

Mule, if you want to fix your power steering check out the kit from Benchworks. it replaces all the Bendix power assist crap with an integral system . it's not cheap but it's a fantastic upgrade every high boy needs.
Yeah - not cheap but they're in my own hood... Thx much!
I see your high boy still has orig. chrome hub/assembly, hard to find those. They suk, after you've packed the bearings a few times the flanges get smashed so you keep tightening them to prevent leakage which makes it worse. First world problems lol.

Yes those original Spicer hubs are kind of a pain. but I love the looks of them. I saw an NOS complete set for sale a while back, $2500 .

Yes those original Spicer hubs are kind of a pain. but I love the looks of them. I saw an NOS complete set for sale a while back, $2500 .
Jeezus that's insane. I have 1/2 of a new set I've yet to install. Still have my spicers that I'm nursing along

Are these worthy to post on here?
A few months ago bought a basket case missing the 2stroker.
I cut/lowered engine cage portion and fabbed up new engine mounts to fit in a 4 stroker. I had to have clearance for head/three speed gear box.
Forgive some of the rough welds, I only have one hand.
I usually despise Harbor Freight but reviews were good on their new stroked 6.5 hp motor so tried it out.
I wanted the old school look so I fabbed up a wire pulley/belt guard.
Motor worked like a charm and I can’t believe where you can take these things.

4B89C3A5-B730-424E-880A-EF777F07B71F.jpeg

6FD69A20-7C11-4B53-88D5-94C301D06014.jpeg

BAE1035D-0D12-4A9A-A112-80AEBE707E95.jpeg

2B0CC908-99BE-4EC0-AB32-0F7CBD1BC8C0.jpeg

DFCD98CD-7FDE-41CA-B18B-8EF5D05CAC9A.jpeg

085147C3-2667-4612-901E-6884B28F0298.jpeg

A6DE57D5-C3D1-44A4-8E9F-1F019C4CEC83.jpeg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom