Old English Shotguns

joesikora

Long Time Member
I have been looking at old shotguns I just seen a F. beasly 20ga but it was
made in 1895 would it be safe or would it just be an ornamen?

Joe

Does it have Damascus barrels? If it does, it will be a great wall hanger and unsafe to shoot with modern ammunition. Many of the shotguns of that era were made with Damascus barrels.
RELH

There is still a “F Beesley” making shotguns in London. You should buy me one. :cool: I’ll take these:

Only 82,000 pounds. What is that, just north of $100k? They have a contact page and I’m sure would love to help you.

Last edited:
There is still a “F Beesley” making shotguns in London. You should buy me one. :cool: I’ll take these:

Only 82,000 pounds. What is that, just north of $100k? They have a contact page and I’m sure would love to help you.
Did you guys see that beautiful wood stock? Wow!
joe

Bluehair the best gunstock walnut comes from Turkey. It is also the most expensive. The walnut grown in Turkey grows at a more slower pace due to the arid climate and most of the trees not being irrigated. As a result the wood is more dense and very small pores. also the minerals in the soil results in more coloration of the wood. I refer to it as "Marblecake".
I worked for a master gunsmith for about 2 years on weekends and several days a week after getting off my normal job as a LEO.
He built custom rifles starting with a walnut blank and ending up doing the hand cut engraving. I have had Turkish walnut blank in my hands that cost that gunsmith $2,000.00 to buy for one walnut blank. To me it is one of the most beautiful woods in the world and the supply is drying up driving up the cost even more.
Also the older shotguns had leaf springs as coil springs did not come into vogue until the last 40-50 years as they are more dependable when it comes to breaking as the leaf springs were prone to do if the heat treatment was done incorrectly.

RELH

Yup, that wood is expensive. I’ve paid a couple of times to get fancy stuff. We used to have wild walnut trees where I’m from in AZ. They’ve about all been poached now though.

My modern era Perazzi has leaf’s. Fast trigger but you better have spares.

Yup, that wood is expensive. I’ve paid a couple of times to get fancy stuff. We used to have wild walnut trees where I’m from in AZ. They’ve about all been poached now though.

My modern era Perazzi has leaf’s. Fast trigger but you better have spares.
I have some MO walnuts trees on my place if we have to take a few down when we harvest white oak I’ll let you know if you need a piece

Joe

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom