Old Pyrodex & Old 209 Primer’s

brutus54

This has been asked before but it looks like it’s been a while. I have some old Pyrodex RS. 1/3 of a opened Bottle. That is at least 30 years old. And a brand-new sealed bottle may be close to 20 years old. And some old CCI and Winchester 209 primers. That might be 20 years old. Now these have been in my gun safe all this time. And I did get my rifle out and shoot it about five years ago on a hunt with no issues whatsoever. So before I get it out this summer and do some more shooting. Has anybody had any issues with older power and primers like this before? Next year I think I’m gonna burn some general Utah deer points and get the old girl out again. Used to be my favorite hunt but Utah’s Deer hunting has gone downhill. And I spend all my money and time in Colorado nowadays. Plus if it matters I shoot a an old Thompson Black Diamond 50 Cal. Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Last edited:
Should be no issues with either as long as they have been cool and dry. I’d start with the opened bottle and transition to the un-opened bottle to confirm sight settings, drops and to hunt with. That said, I’d personally ditch the Pyrodex and buy some fresh 777 or BH209.

Should be no issues with either as long as they have been cool and dry. I’d start with the opened bottle and transition to the un-opened bottle to confirm sight settings, drops and to hunt with. That said, I’d personally ditch the Pyrodex and buy some fresh 777 or BH209.
I haven’t been in the loop with these new powders. So what are the benefits? I think I read somewhere that they burn cleaner and are more accurate? Not to mention I’ll have to take a second mortgage out on the house to buy them. That is if I can find them.?

There’s 777 available lots of places and it’s only $25-$30 a bottle. It was the standard before Blackhorn. Very consistent-sized granules, more energetic, less fouling and easier to clean than black or Pyrodex. Depending on the primer you use you may get a “crud ring” of build up in the bore near the base of where the bullet is seated. No big deal. Just swab or brass brush it out every few shots. Still lots of guys shooting it especially in percussion rifles like Whites (although it ignites more reliably in many 209 ignition rifles). Big step up from Pyrodex.

Blackhorn 209 is the new standard. It is more energetic, essentially no fouling (so basically no cleaning), very consistent and very little smoke. Way better than any other option. Tough to find any these days though.

There’s 777 available lots of places and it’s only $25-$30 a bottle. It was the standard before Blackhorn. Very consistent-sized granules, more energetic, less fouling and easier to clean than black or Pyrodex. Depending on the primer you use you may get a “crud ring” of build up in the bore near the base of where the bullet is seated. No big deal. Just swab or brass brush it out every few shots. Still lots of guys shooting it especially in percussion rifles like Whites (although it ignites more reliably in many 209 ignition rifles). Big step up from Pyrodex.

Blackhorn 209 is the new standard. It is more energetic, essentially no fouling (so basically no cleaning), very consistent and very little smoke. Way better than any other option. Tough to find any these days though.
Thanks for the information.?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom