Ollin Digiscoping Review

KobyMosley

I recently purchased an Ollin Digiscoping mount from the Western Hunting Expo in Salt Lake City. I have been a long committed user to the other Utah company, PhoneSkope, but I began finding their system to be outdated and frustrating. A few of the things that I did not like about their system was the fact that the adapter they used fit very snugly to the eye cup of my Vortex spotting scope. This was awesome for when I was actively taking video, but with their bulky design I had to take it off every time I wanted to look through the spotting scope. Once I tried attaching my phone to the adapter it would always move my spotting scope, so then I would have to relocate my target that I was trying to film. You can see in this image how bulky the adapter and the phone case for PhoneSkope's system is.
download.jpg

I was pleased when I started using Ollin's new magnetic design because it eliminated all of these issues. Their new phone case design is sleek and fits easily into your pocket so that you do not have to remove the case each time you are hiking through the hills. The use of their magnets allows you to align your camera to seamlessly capture photos and videos without moving the alignment of your spotting scope system. You can also keep their eyecup on your spotter because the slimmed down design allows you to glass with free mobility. These are some images I took of some Big Horn sheep rams right after my purchase, guess it works haha!
IMG_5007.jpg

I recently purchased an Ollin Digiscoping mount from the Western Hunting Expo in Salt Lake City. I have been a long committed user to the other Utah company, PhoneSkope, but I began finding their system to be outdated and frustrating. A few of the things that I did not like about their system was the fact that the adapter they used fit very snugly to the eye cup of my Vortex spotting scope. This was awesome for when I was actively taking video, but with their bulky design I had to take it off every time I wanted to look through the spotting scope. Once I tried attaching my phone to the adapter it would always move my spotting scope, so then I would have to relocate my target that I was trying to film. You can see in this image how bulky the adapter and the phone case for PhoneSkope's system is.
View attachment 103012

I was pleased when I started using Ollin's new magnetic design because it eliminated all of these issues. Their new phone case design is sleek and fits easily into your pocket so that you do not have to remove the case each time you are hiking through the hills. The use of their magnets allows you to align your camera to seamlessly capture photos and videos without moving the alignment of your spotting scope system. You can also keep their eyecup on your spotter because the slimmed down design allows you to glass with free mobility. These are some images I took of some Big Horn sheep rams right after my purchase, guess it works haha!View attachment 103013
AH….MEN
62A84C81-E5D0-46BC-8F67-029C9E98273B.jpeg

I think Phone Skope is going to have a problem with this Ollin option and a couple others that have hit the market. I dislike the Phone Skope product for the same reasons you mentioned. It worked fairly well in its day and was really the only option, but these new companies have improved on the functionality in a way that is hard to ignore.

I recently got the Ollin setup and have been overall pleased. I have found that the magnets are not strong enough to hold an Iphone X perfectly Horizontal. It slowly slides down to about 15 degrees below level. If phone is mounted vertical, no issues.

I really liked the idea of the ollin, but sent it back as it sits too proud for viewing thru my kowa 884 while wearing glasses. If they can minimize the thickness of the objective portion that stays on the scope it wouldn't reduce the eye relief as much and I would likely buy again.

They need to kick it in gear and start making them for more optics. I would love to buy it.
You are correct Chad! I was going to buy one for my Leica spotting scope, when I was at the Expo. They told me that they were working on it. I was impressed with it.

I contacted Ollin 4 days ago via their website.....used the "contact us here" feature. Asked about 2 of the spotters I have and adapter set ups for my iphone X. I have yet to hear a peep from them. I need answers before I jump in and spend the ridiculous $174.99 for a plastic cover and a magnet. Anyone else have any issues with customer service?

I contacted Ollin 4 days ago via their website.....used the "contact us here" feature. Asked about 2 of the spotters I have and adapter set ups for my iphone X. I have yet to hear a peep from them. I need answers before I jump in and spend the ridiculous $174.99 for a plastic cover and a magnet. Anyone else have any issues with customer service?
Only a sucker pays retail. Best way to get response is from their Instagram page. DM them there.

They're on sale this weekend so I picked up their phone case and adapter from a local retailer. I brought my spotter with me to ensure the right fit as they had a Gen 1 and Gen 2 version of the adapter.

So far, it seems like a stout unit. It holds up my Samsung S21 just fine in a horizontal position.

You can dig around the internet and find their phone #. That’s what I did. It’s not advertised on website because they only have a few people working for them (or so that’s what I think). I called and go right through. And another time I called they didn’t answer but to my surprise they called me back and said “we missed your call”

To the guy that said his iPhone won’t work horizontally - that happened to me and I turned it 180 degrees to the other horizontal position and it worked. Now I kno to do it that way each time if I want to use horizontal mode.

Im using on BTX and they said in July (this month) they are releasing the NL pure bino adapter.

Anyone know if you can just buy a new magcase when you get a new phone.....or do you have to buy a new scope magnet as well? That really doesn't make sense but when I went to go buy a new phone case for a new iphone 14, I couldn't find a way to just buy that. Still wanted me to choose a scope to fit it to and charge the $174. Thanks.

You can buy just the case from GoHunt. https://shop.gohunt.com/products/ollin-phone-case?variant=43177733226690. The iPhone14 is listed towards the top of the phone list. Their most recent sale just ended but the regular price of $39.99 seems reasonable and consistent with everywhere else.

If you're not in Vegas but will find yourself there in the near future, they have a brick and mortar shop if you want to double check fitment and ask questions. I was there a few days ago to pick up a case for my older Samsung Galaxy.

You can buy just the case from GoHunt. https://shop.gohunt.com/products/ollin-phone-case?variant=43177733226690. The iPhone14 is listed towards the top of the phone list. Their most recent sale just ended but the regular price of $39.99 seems reasonable and consistent with everywhere else.

If you're not in Vegas but will find yourself there in the near future, they have a brick and mortar shop if you want to double check fitment and ask questions. I was there a few days ago to pick up a case for my older Samsung Galaxy.
Thanks for the info. I wonder why they don't have that as an option on their site.

$39.99 is very reasonable for a different phone case IMO.

I gave my set up its maiden voyage in my front yard today looking up the street about 1/4 mile. I think the system is nice. However, it won't be ideal being out hunting with the phone OUT OF ITS CASE when not being used to film. I guess I'll just need to be careful while out in the field. Would be nice if they could make an adapter that fit multiple scopes but that would mean less money in sales. Good product as far as I am concerned.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom