Omega .50

sheephunter

While the subject of this gun seems to have ellicited some lively discussion, I'd just like to answer the questions of those that have posed them. I first saw the Omega at the SHOT Show in January and was intrigued to say the least. This gun truly is revolutionary with the falling block design. Since that time, both my wife and I have aquired new Omegas and shot them extensively. I shoot mine with 150 grains of Pyrodex (three pellets) and a 240-grain XTP bullet. At 100 yards it shoots about 1.5 inch groups. My wife shoots her's with 100 grains of Pyrodex (two pellets) and can make three 240-grain XTP bullets touch at 100 yards.

The trigger is incredible and acts much like a set trigger. When the hammer is cocked, the trigger moves rearward in the trigger guard. It is very crisp and reminds me of any fine centerfire rifle. It comes with Tru-Glo sights but I have mounted a 4x scope on mine. I can't see any problem shooting animals at 150 yards with this set up.

So what is with the deletion of your posts on the original thread?!!!!!!!!!!!!! As I recall, your posts did not contain foul language or any personnal attacks on Bluelk. This is a private site and Brian and Bluelk have the right to do what they want with it, but I am a little soured at the idea of deleting someones posts under these circumstances. There are posts that are damn near slanderous in nature and accusatory beyond belief and they continue to be shown. A woman from Nevada accused of poaching the new muzz bull and her brothers ripped over it and it was up as of this a.m. Bluelk is saying that his integrity was attacked and he will not "tolerate" it, but we can't even read sheephunters posts to see his side of the thread and he is being made out to be some jerk. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give us a little credit to make up our own minds and Bluelk, you were tough enough to ride that trip this summer so get back on here and finish what you started. That is, moderating the forum. Please. I'm done for now.

I dont know what omega you have but the one I have and the ones I have seen has nothing to be desired. The trigger on my red rider is better than the trigger on the omega.

You are the second person that I've heard complain about the trigger. What is it that you don't like about it? I know it is a little heavy but I have found it very crisp.

Sheephunter: This sounds a lot like an ad for the gun. Could it be that you get some money from promoting these guns? Just curious.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I do some work with T/C yes but that does not include anything to do with this site. I really like the gun. It's the first muzzleloader that has got me excited in years.

I too like the Omega, and the trigger is a little stiff, But it is a shooter so I will keep shooting it with a good scope on it the bullets will almost touch at a 100 yds. I have no problem shootin this gun at 200 yds and hitting what I'm aiming at.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-02 AT 10:24PM (MST)[p]This is to Gator or anyone else who owns a T/C Omega.

I'm brand spankin new to muzzleloading and am just trying to firm up which .50 cal I should get. I think I've zeroed in on the T/C Omega, because from all I've heard, it sounds like a great shooter and also has that 28" (vs. 22 or 26) bbl. so the potential is there for more accuracy (Lord knows I need all the help I can get).....

My question is simply this; Which of the Omegas did you get (nickle or blued bbl, synthetic stock or ?) and why did you make the choice you did? My only concern is maybe the blued bbl being a little more subject to rust than the stainless, and would have more glare in the field. Any advice/your opinion would be appreciated much. Thanks.

Hi Free:

Both my wife and I shoot a stainless barrel with the laminate stock. I don't see a problem with the blued barrel if that's what you prefer. You just need to take care of it. I think the laminate stock looks so awesome. That was the only reason we chose it.

You are correct about the 28" barrel being an advantage and with no action, the gun is still shorter than other muzzleloaders with a 24 or 26 inch barrel.

Thank you, Sheephunter (and Mrs. Sheephunter). I think I'm sold, and like you, really like the look of the black/grey laminated stock with the stainless. As handsome as that is, the camo/ss is also pretty slick looking. Decisions, decisions......

Thanks again for your response back, looks like I'm a Cabelas phone call away from joining the ranks of you guys with smokepoles. Now if I can only decide which one.................

Hey, good luck with whatever decision you make but be warned, muzzleloader hunting is very addicting and can cause otherwise rational beings to do irrational things. We may not be the sanest lot but we do have fun.

I too shoot the Stainless in Camo It was the only one in stock my buddy has 2 blue one they all shoot the same nice and tight groups with a heavy bullet, only problem we had was get a shorter front sight but T/C send out 3 at no cost so we could sight in far out.The stainless tales longer to break in but that some of the fun working up a goood load, I use 100 fff 777 and a 240 gr sabot or 120 ff 777 and 240 and it workes great. Good luck I think you will like this gun, shoot my first buck this year 184 yds one shot, got one coyote 240 yds one shot, I also missed one at 200 so I guess it works out.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-02 AT 09:32PM (MST)[p]Thanks all you guys for your help. I ordered the Omega .50 stainless bbl with the laminated stock (yeah, I chickened out, but that camo sure looks great....had a real hard time trying to decide between them) on Friday from Midsouth shooters supply (heck of a great price on it, beat Cabela's by 55 bucks!).

Gator.........you shot a muley at 184 yards with the muzz? With a sabot or a conical? I'm asking cause I don't believe I will be able to shoot sabots out of it on my 1st deer hunt with it (so I might as well get used to shooting conicals). I'll be using it in the Colorado early season. So what I'm wondering is if anyone has shot conicals out of an Omega yet or has it been strictly sabots? If so, what type of conicals and what weight with about how much powder gives a decent group? Anyone work this out yet or have you all been strictly using sabots in it?

Thanks again fellas for your help, I can't wait to get this beauty!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom