Omega stuck primer

Kooper1021

I was shooting my omega this weekend and my primers are sticking in the breach plug. Not sure what the cause is or how to fix it. I am shooting 150gr 3 pellets of Pyrodex with the 300gr powerbelt areolite. Has anyone else had this problem.
Thanks

Different primer this time?

Sometime all it takes to fix is changing your primer. Some are longer, some shorter ect.

The reason it is happening is blowback pressure. Your load creates a lot of pressure. So if changing primers doesn’t work another “fix” would be to install a shim washer under the primer to seal it better. That makes a tighter fit and usually solves the problem.

Last edited:
You still haven’t answered the question.....have you have shot that same load and NOT had the primer problem??

I’ve got three Omegas. This happens to me very occasionally. Simple fix - change the breech plug and or primer type.

Yep I use several different omega plugs( all the same), in some the primer is tighter.
Can't tell why it sticks now, But order a couple more plugs and have a backup in case this happens during your hunt.
Try some new 209 primers too see if the batch you got is fault.

Last year I shot at a 4 point with my omega. I missed at 184 yards. He didn't know where the shot came from and started walking straight toward me. I couldn't reload because of a stuck primer. It came to 80 yards before it heard me fidgeting to get the primer out. I ended up with a way better buck later in the hunt but was pretty discouraged at the time of not getting a second opportunity on that buck.

I've always used Winchester .209 primers and that was the only time I've had a stuck primer.

I was shooting my omega this weekend and my primers are sticking in the breach plug. Not sure what the cause is or how to fix it. I am shooting 150gr 3 pellets of Pyrodex with the 300gr powerbelt areolite. Has anyone else had this problem.
Thanks
Either switch primers or switch breechplugs.

I'm assuming yours are CCI, not CCI-M as in Magnum primers.
My choice these days are Winchester 209s.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom