On the fence, Wyoming

mulebuck

Which would you rather hunt, region G or 34 (limited quota)?
Just looking for some persuasion on deciding which area to apply for. Non-resident with 9 points. Thanks for any direction.

Probably depends on what kind of hunting you like. 34 will be less crowded and easier hunting. G will most likely offer bigger caliber bucks with more work involved. I've never hunted either so what do I know though?

Thanks grizz. That's kinda what I assumed. Our dad is 78 so leaning towards 34.
Still interested in knowing what the hunting pressure is like in G. With horses, is it still possible to get away from the crowds? I never realized there were unlimited resident tags until recent. That eventually has to take a toll on quantity/quality and hunter experience.

Thanks grizz. That's kinda what I assumed. Our dad is 78 so leaning towards 34.
Still interested in knowing what the hunting pressure is like in G. With horses, is it still possible to get away from the crowds? I never realized there were unlimited resident tags until recent. That eventually has to take a toll on quantity/quality and hunter experience.
I don’t think this day in age your gonna get away from the crowds, limited tags would be best bet for fewer people but think in those areas the people will be where the deer are!!!

If you are putting in as a party you could go hunt the high country in G and then come back down and hunt the low country in 135 on opening day (oct 1) with your dad. There’s probably bigger bucks in 135 than 34. Not bad access for an old man. Just saying

34 would be a much better hunting situation for an older, less mobile individual than G. G can be a good hunt, but you need to put some physical work in getting to the deer. I elk hunted in some of the more accessible areas of G last year. The deer numbers were pathetic.

I don’t disagree with the above statement. Of course big bucks are shot close to the road every year in G, but I wouldn’t go into that hunt with that expectation... not even close.

Everybody seems to think big bucks simply simply can’t be found in G and H unless you’re on the very top of the mountain, as far away from the pickup as you can get. There’s a lot of lunker bucks living close to the road. Not right next to the road. But not far from it. People walk and ride horses right past them in the dark every morning headed for the top of the mountain.

Hunt the transition areas towards the end of the season and you’ll be amazed at what you see. Probably a better chance of getting a decent buck in G than 34.

But honestly I’m sure your dad gives two chits about hunting a big buck. He’s just stoked to go hunting with son....

One of the biggest bucks Ive ever saw was crossing the road in W low country checker board.
Throw in some private in the mix and you never know what you will find. Especially with good genetics.

My dad drew a Region G tag last year. He didn't hunt from a horse, just stayed low due to physical health. Every trailhead was packed with trucks and horse trailers. There's no getting away, even with horses (I'm sure some can). Take the easier area, relax with the old man, and make some memories. Take lots of photos of those you are with. If you come away with a buck, that's just the cherry on top. Good luck.!!

ps We saw few deer on my dad's hunt. It was quite warm, but he did have a good opportunity at a couple of mature deer, but in the end, he came home with a tag in his pocket. One buck was a real giant, but he was on what we thought was private land. Wish we had OnX looking back, just to have been sure.

Deercountry, how did you do? Post a pic of your buck. PM me if you want as I am considering hunting there this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom