ONE FOR THE “AGES”

BUGLEnmIN

Very Active Member
I’m usually not one on to do a big write up , in this case I wanted to share this .
My dad(61 years young) drew his first bull tag in ten years this year! This man is one of those old , gritty type cowboys, who no longer recognizes the world around him. He was so happy to learn he drew a tag! We immediately begin planning scouting trips, hunting plans etc. I then realize my wife drew a bull tag on the opposite end of the state! The mixed feelings of excitement and sadness set in. This is the man that has never missed one of my hunts in 36 years ! At the same time I am going to go with my wife that’s a no brainer ! So we found ourselves in a bit of a pickle! So my brother , brother in-law , my sister , and my best friend all decide THEY’RE GOING TO GO WITH DAD for the weekend at least. My dad being my dad said he’s going two days early and staying til the end , help or no help.
So we all lay out our Arsenal of rifles and ask him which one he wants to shoot this year, he goes into his closet and pulls out his “old faithful “.
Model 94 30/30 that he bought when he was 18 . We thought he was messing with us Until we realized he was for real! The unit he drew is mostly open country ! After much dispute there was no changing his mind! “ IF ITS TO FAR FOR ME TO SHOOT WITH MY RIFLE , I JUST WONT SHOOT “ he says!
He also opted to take the oldest horse we have , having 14 young ones to chose from!

Opening weekend goes by and everyone is heart broken to leave him with no bull ! Hot dry weather has made the elk nocturnal! One night a huge bull was watering in the coral with horses but once daylight would crack the elk would prove to be ghosts!
My friend decides Sunday he’s staying with pops! So I feel a little better knowing he’s there with him! After endless miles on horseback, and on foot Tuesday mid day rolls around and no bulls ! So my friend and dad take a trip to some new country and minutes before sunset they lay their eyes on 3 bulls! They make a stalk and my friend offers my dad his rifle with a scope to see better , stubborn of course he declines! Another day with no bull! Frustrated my friend calls me and says “ We had bulls in range but you’re dad won’t put down that pea shooter ?”
Dad wanted to prove that skill, and persistence can still prevail! Not not the million dollar camo or optics but true grit !
so after a call that night I pleaded with him to pick up the other rifle for the last day of the hunt ! Of course he says “ NO SIR “
They head back to the same general area on the last morning of the hunt. I get a call from my friend at 7:30 a.m. I saw it was him calling and immediately realized it’s to early to hear from them ! I answer and my friend Ecstatically says “ THE OLD MAN JUST HAMMERED A BIG ONE”
My first question was really? Followed by what did he shoot it with?
he say the effin pea shooter! The happiness that over took me at that moment is indescribable!
So hats off to the man that I admire most( after Jesus Christ) I love you pops and thank all those years you stayed in a tent for 16 days in the middle of the wilderness helping me ,and for always being the person I count on most! CONGRATULATIONS from the bottom of my heart ❤️
A big thanks to my family for all the help ! To my best friend for sticking it out with him in my absence!
I’ll post what happened on my wife’s hunt soon!

DC801424-3B89-458D-88FE-70F792876802.jpeg

I am looking for a taxi who can mold and fix the right side ?
CFC70DE1-F9C6-44A4-818E-4CE5F2324C95.jpeg

3D210761-D7A7-4897-9CA7-3973C71F76AE.jpeg
136DB1D4-7C27-47C8-A4A3-5A75A4371B3B.jpeg

E9A367A9-9AF0-4C34-8556-7389689EDDAE.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s the way those old timers are tough as hell. My dad is 83 and said that’s it I am done hunting. All I have now are beautiful memories. Continue to enjoy that partnership thanks for sharing

That's awesome! Congrats to your dad and his pea shooter!

Also, Congrats to your friend for sticking it out with your dad!

Bugle, congratulations especially to your dad and you. They don’t make them like that anymore! Enjoy him and his blesings every day which I know your do!

That is awesome he stuck with it. We need more like him to get this country back on track. I am only 51 but am a hard head just like your old man. lol and my 22 year old son just laughs but gets it just like you do. glad you did the post

That is awesome he stuck with it. We need more like him to get this country back on track. I am only 51 but am a hard head just like your old man. lol and my 22 year old son just laughs but gets it just like you do. glad you did the post
You’re exactly right!

Congratulations thanks for the story and pictures!

I’m usually not one on to do a big write up , in this case I wanted to share this .
My dad(61 years young) drew his first bull tag in ten years this year! This man is one of those old , gritty type cowboys, who no longer recognizes the world around him. He was so happy to learn he drew a tag! We immediately begin planning scouting trips, hunting plans etc. I then realize my wife drew a bull tag on the opposite end of the state! The mixed feelings of excitement and sadness set in. This is the man that has never missed one of my hunts in 36 years ! At the same time I am going to go with my wife that’s a no brainer ! So we found ourselves in a bit of a pickle! So my brother , brother in-law , my sister , and my best friend all decide THEY’RE GOING TO GO WITH DAD for the weekend at least. My dad being my dad said he’s going two days early and staying til the end , help or no help.
So we all lay out our Arsenal of rifles and ask him which one he wants to shoot this year, he goes into his closet and pulls out his “old faithful “.
Model 94 30/30 that he bought when he was 18 . We thought he was messing with us Until we realized he was for real! The unit he drew is mostly open country ! After much dispute there was no changing his mind! “ IF ITS TO FAR FOR ME TO SHOOT WITH MY RIFLE , I JUST WONT SHOOT “ he says!
He also opted to take the oldest horse we have , having 14 young ones to chose from!

Opening weekend goes by and everyone is heart broken to leave him with no bull ! Hot dry weather has made the elk nocturnal! One night a huge bull was watering in the coral with horses but once daylight would crack the elk would prove to be ghosts!
My friend decides Sunday he’s staying with pops! So I feel a little better knowing he’s there with him! After endless miles on horseback, and on foot Tuesday mid day rolls around and no bulls ! So my friend and dad take a trip to some new country and minutes before sunset they lay their eyes on 3 bulls! They make a stalk and my friend offers my dad his rifle with a scope to see better , stubborn of course he declines! Another day with no bull! Frustrated my friend calls me and says “ We had bulls in range but you’re dad won’t put down that pea shooter ?”
Dad wanted to prove that skill, and persistence can still prevail! Not not the million dollar camo or optics but true grit !
so after a call that night I pleaded with him to pick up the other rifle for the last day of the hunt ! Of course he says “ NO SIR “
They head back to the same general area on the last morning of the hunt. I get a call from my friend at 7:30 a.m. I saw it was him calling and immediately realized it’s to early to hear from them ! I answer and my friend Ecstatically says “ THE OLD MAN JUST HAMMERED A BIG ONE”
My first question was really? Followed by what did he shoot it with?
he say the effin pea shooter! The happiness that over took me at that moment is indescribable!
So hats off to the man that I admire most( after Jesus Christ) I love you pops and thank all those years you stayed in a tent for 16 days in the middle of the wilderness helping me ,and for always being the person I count on most! CONGRATULATIONS from the bottom of my heart ❤️
A big thanks to my family for all the help ! To my best friend for sticking it out with him in my absence!
I’ll post what happened on my wife’s hunt soon!

View attachment 15933
I am looking for a taxi who can mold and fix the right side ? View attachment 15931

View attachment 15929View attachment 15930
View attachment 15932
One of the best stories I've heard this year!! Great job bud!!! Saludes and congrats to your pops!

Thank you toro! Last of a dying breed ! As if I couldn’t respect the man more, I somehow do now! Most people won’t or don’t understand it, but I’m sure you guys here do!
D09DBEE1-0535-4A52-A28D-856FDA2DE8FB.jpeg
I sent him this picture a minute ago and told him I’m getting my rifle ready for my deer hunt ? he says “Now your learning “!

Best father/son story I've come across on MM. I to have crossed paths with men cut out of the same mold as your pops. Love your expressed deep love and respect for your dad , only to be surpassed by your love of Jesus.

Still as happy for him today as I was the day it happened! Sadly servehim, the mold is breaking! We can sill hold onto it with teaching our own children!

Yes sir, the world is changing. We should not fear that as God is still on His Throne, The Best is still yet to come . Great story with the family, it would be a privilege to meet your dad someday. I grew up in Carlsbad in a ranching community, Hershall, Harley, Winston all men cut from the same mold . Had a ton of fun with those men in my early years. They pushed me out of my comfort zone in order to grow me . Gave me roles of responsibility that i didn't thing i could handle, i had to live up to their expectations cause i respected them so much, I'll bet you understand what I'm say. Love those guys !!

Scott, I’m sure they will my friend! I spend a ton of time there this year so let me know if you need any help!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom