One For The Books

B

Border

Well, I guess we finally lucked out.The state of Maine only puts 1 to 3 bears in the Boone and Crockett books annually.We treed a real nice bear the last day of season last year that one of our hunters from Florida took.The guy called me last night and said he got an offical measurement on it.It went 20 and 2/16.This should make the yearly book.The Maine Skull and Antler Club (minimum 18 inches) said it is currently #1 in the state for 2002.This was the first bear this hunter had ever seen. we had worked this bear several different times last season before finally getting it up.If you guys want to see a picture you can check it out on my web site page http://borderpond.com/2002_photos.htm It is the first bear you come to with the couple from Fla.Not the greatest picture though.

Way to go dude!!! We don't have a real high population of bears here in Utah... but big? You better believe it!!

I looked in the most recent Boone and Crockett record book, for the whole country.

All time biggest black bears ever taken? Utah is still sitting at #1 and sitting again at #5 or #6 all time. Both of them skull pickups. Neither was harvested.

Boy, I'd like to catch one of those big boys before he died of old age. :)

Way to go again!! -Dawg

Yes, its pretty hard for a bear to get real big in Maine.They go into hibernation about the end of October usually.They dont come out till the end of April/beginning of May.Thats 6 months that they are dormant.Hard to put on much size that way.There also isnt much in the way of crops in most of Maine either.Takes a lot of berries and beech nuts to fill up a bear !!
This particular bear wasnt real big weight wise.It was the last bear we took near the end of October.It had zero fat on it.Last year was the strangest year anyone here can remember when it came to bears.There were bears still out roaming around into the first week of December.That never happens here.Abundance of nuts was the reason we think.It made it awfully hard to tree bears during hunting season.They just seemed to run and run.

Just got the offical word.That bear is the #1 bear for 2002 in Maine.Maine Skull and Antler Club President said it was almost an inch bigger than the next place bear.Hunter will get his picture in the MASC book,story about the hunt,plaque for the wall.etc... Hes pretty pumped.Booked a week with me in 2004 too.Havent heard from B and C yet but it should be in the yearly book there too.Not a big deal some places for some guys I guess but I was pretty happy too.I never cared or thought much about records and stuff before(have only ever had one other bear measured) but its pretty cool when you are a part of someones trophy making it

Border,
Congratulations, and a job well done. Soounds like you and the hunter will have memories that won't soon fade or be forgotten.

It sure can't hurt business either. the only drawback is, now the pressure is on. Everyone you book now is going to want one a little bigger.

Great Job, Keep It Up!!!!!!!!!!KT

Congratulations on your hunter's success, it sure dispels the notion that dogs can't stop a really big bear. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom