One Shot Cancelled? Hopefully forever?

elks96

Long Time Member
Just saw this today. Maybe this silly event will end and the tags will forever go back to public!!!

There's more than just covid going on to make them have an "emergency meeting". This whole sham is on life support and I think this "hunt" has become toxic. I cant see how anyone with a legitimate business or anyone trying to ensure their good name would want to participate.

If I were a Governor of Wyoming and had any political ambitions beyond being the Governor, I wouldn't be seen anywhere near the lander one shot event...let alone participate in it.

What exactly is it ??

My version, a bunch of rich guys are given 80 free prime antelope tags, they then go out in teams and try to kill antelope as part as competition with goal of only using 1 shot per animal. They do not in the name of raising money, but at a huge cost in opportunity for public hunters...

They are pretty short to women as there are no women allowed to participate and from what I can tell if you don’t kill with one shot you have to dress up like an Indian squaw.

It seems to me that there's enough private land opportunities in eastern Wyoming that they could find a way be do the contest without taking public tags.

The losing men's teams dress like squaws and dance. I do believe they have teams of women too. They had to do that to be inclusive. I wonder if the losing women's teams have to dress like braves.

My version, a bunch of rich guys are given 80 free prime antelope tags, they then go out in teams and try to kill antelope as part as competition with goal of only using 1 shot per animal. They do not in the name of raising money, but at a huge cost in opportunity for public hunters...

They are pretty short to women as there are no women allowed to participate and from what I can tell if you don’t kill with one shot you have to dress up like an Indian squaw.

The only ones limited to "one shot" are the 24 actually in the event. The remaining 56 tags are given to past shooters and those tags are in some of the best pronghorn units in central Wyoming. If you participate in the one show event, you're given the opportunity to get one of the 56 tags every year. Some guys from the past shooters club have held tags for 10+ years in a row.

From 2008-2018, 45 people have received 5 or more tags. Listed below are the recipients and their
resident state at the time:
10 Tags:

Richard Tempest- Utah
George Ranta- Colorado
James Brown- Texas
John Mayfield- California
William Froelich- California
William Froelich- Texas

Irwin Lott- Washington
Kurt Lesh- Colorado
Robert Puette- California/Nevada
Robert Stutler- Arizona/Kansas
Russell Terra- California

Edward Spoljaric- California
Gregory Bergen- Nebraska
Kenneth Choulber- Colorado
Lawrence Brouse- Washington
Timothy Kelly- Georgia/Tennessee
David Bowman- Colorado
Matthew Mead- Wyoming

Frank Jezioro- West Virginia
James Silvestri- Nevada
John Jackson- Florida
Justin Young- Colorado
Stephen Coonts- Colorado

Jerry Yarborough- Kansas/South Dakota/Texas

Byron Meyer- California
Daniel Stone- California
Jay Sandler- MichiganKevin Lesh- Colorado/New York

John Hickenlooper- Colorado
Paul Stewart- Colorado

5 Tags:

Boyd Sharp- Washington
Cotton Jones- Wyoming
Edd Davis- California
Erhard Weis- Colorado
Jeffrey Ranta- Colorado
Legrand Kirby- Texas
Mark Block- Georgia
Nathan Powers- Utah
Reed Larson- Montan/Washington
Steve Shaw- Washington
Wendell Cramer- North Carolina
Bruce Mountain- Iowa
John Shipper- Colorado

It seems to me that there's enough private land opportunities in eastern Wyoming that they could find a way be do the contest without taking public tags.

The losing men's teams dress like squaws and dance. I do believe they have teams of women too. They had to do that to be inclusive. I wonder if the losing women's teams have to dress like braves.
so you are saying there are special tags for private property????....since when??

The only ones limited to "one shot" are the 24 actually in the event. The remaining 56 tags are given to past shooters and those tags are in some of the best pronghorn units in central Wyoming. If you participate in the one show event, you're given the opportunity to get one of the 56 tags every year. Some guys from the past shooters club have held tags for 10+ years in a row.

From 2008-2018, 45 people have received 5 or more tags. Listed below are the recipients and their
resident state at the time:
10 Tags:

Richard Tempest- Utah
George Ranta- Colorado
James Brown- Texas
John Mayfield- California
William Froelich- California
William Froelich- Texas

Irwin Lott- Washington
Kurt Lesh- Colorado
Robert Puette- California/Nevada
Robert Stutler- Arizona/Kansas
Russell Terra- California

Edward Spoljaric- California
Gregory Bergen- Nebraska
Kenneth Choulber- Colorado
Lawrence Brouse- Washington
Timothy Kelly- Georgia/Tennessee
David Bowman- Colorado
Matthew Mead- Wyoming

Frank Jezioro- West Virginia
James Silvestri- Nevada
John Jackson- Florida
Justin Young- Colorado
Stephen Coonts- Colorado

Jerry Yarborough- Kansas/South Dakota/Texas

Byron Meyer- California
Daniel Stone- California
Jay Sandler- MichiganKevin Lesh- Colorado/New York

John Hickenlooper- Colorado
Paul Stewart- Colorado

5 Tags:

Boyd Sharp- Washington
Cotton Jones- Wyoming
Edd Davis- California
Erhard Weis- Colorado
Jeffrey Ranta- Colorado
Legrand Kirby- Texas
Mark Block- Georgia
Nathan Powers- Utah
Reed Larson- Montan/Washington
Steve Shaw- Washington
Wendell Cramer- North Carolina
Bruce Mountain- Iowa
John Shipper- Colorado

two William Froelichs......interesting

htf do you get in this club....I'm game

so you are saying there are special tags for private property????....since when??

No special tags. I'm saying they could continue doing One Shot on private ranches in eastern Wyoming. There's lots of units with easy to draw tags. Plus most of the participants should be able to pay trespass fees.

The current system takes 80 tags from areas around Lander. Plus up to another 80 for a separate ladies hunt.

Last edited:
No special tags. I'm saying they could continue doing One Shot on private ranches in eastern Wyoming. There's lots of units with easy to draw tags. Plus most of the participants should be able to pay trespass fees.

The current system takes 80 tags from areas around Lander. Plus up to another 80 for a separate ladies hunt.
gotcha....thanks

I'm sure after the recent bad press over offensive practices at the One Shot, it was more than Covid that got teams to cancel. If they are good at anything, the 'Good Ole Boys" in Lander try to stick to their message, no matter how little truth is laced in it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom