Only 2 hours and 10 minutes ~~ OTC?

My friend has been trying all day to get a tag today and it gets to 322 and locks up and he has to start over. Sounds like a joke again this year. I am glad that I drew my LE archery elk tag this year so I do not have to deal with the mess. Good luck to those that are trying to get a tag.

I went to Walmart and picked one up, had to wait in line for about 40 minutes but not to bad. Still 12,000 tags available at 10:00

My friend has been trying all day to get a tag today and it gets to 322 and locks up and he has to start over. Sounds like a joke again this year. I am glad that I drew my LE archery elk tag this year so I do not have to deal with the mess. Good luck to those that are trying to get a tag.
That happened to me too. So I ran down to the store and bought it in person. Not so easy if your a non resident.

I just logged on out of curiosity to see what the wait was. I was in immediately. Look like there are just over 1000 tags available still. I guess everybody got their tag or gave up?

Yep. logged on at 7:30. 2760 in line on two computers. they froze twice and at noon was at 653 frozen. Sister could get in on her computer and got a total of 11 for our group. Another of our party got tiered of the BS and went to Smith and Edwards and walked up to counter, no wait and purchased 3 tags.

Last hour can log on and immediately get in and purchase. Only 791 tags left at 3:46pm.

What a stressful morning. Figure it was no elk hunting for us this fall. Kind of a joke. People behind you in que and they get tags bought and you freeze up and never get in.

113 tags left at 5:25. Going at a rate of about 400 an hour. Probably be sold out by 5:45pm

Our muzzleloader elk hunting group will be 19 strong this year!!! Great time on the mountain with family, friends, great food and a awesome wall tent camp. Filling tags are a bonus.

113 tags left at 5:25. Going at a rate of about 400 an hour. Probably be sold out by 5:45pm

Our muzzleloader elk hunting group will be 19 strong this year!!! Great time on the mountain with family, friends, great food and a awesome wall tent camp. Filling tags are a bonus.
19??? What unit will you be on so I stay out of your way? I like hunting and maybe 3 people. I don't even know 19 people.

20201024_131928.jpg

20201024_131856.jpg

That's a damn fine camp!!
Set it up on Saturday or Sunday before the opener and cut all the fire wood and stack it in front of tents, inside of tents and at main fire pit. Have a couple stay on mountain and the rest of us return throughout the day on Tuesday. If late after dark it is ready to go. Spend the whole 9-day hunt on he mountain.

Hope the fire ban is lifted before November for you guys. Who has OCD in your family to stack that wood so meticulous? It would take me 9 days to set the tent up and 9 more to cut the wood.

This is my younger brother at our camp last year. We didn't see any elks. A few deer came through camp on the 14th day after the season ended, I think it had ended.

Screenshot_20210713-183651_Chrome.jpg

Hope the fire ban is lifted before November for you guys. Who has OCD in your family to stack that wood so meticulous? It would take me 9 days to set the tent up and 9 more to cut the wood.
Hope. Last year we were good with the tent stoves and spark arrestors from the start. The main camp fire was banned until Monday AM. Rifle hunts had it ruff with fire ban.

Yep. logged on at 7:30. 2760 in line on two computers. they froze twice and at noon was at 653 frozen. Sister could get in on her computer and got a total of 11 for our group. Another of our party got tiered of the BS and went to Smith and Edwards and walked up to counter, no wait and purchased 3 tags.

Last hour can log on and immediately get in and purchase. Only 791 tags left at 3:46pm.

What a stressful morning. Figure it was no elk hunting for us this fall. Kind of a joke. People behind you in que and they get tags bought and you freeze up and never get in.
This is why it probably should go to a draw.

We came past your camp on the last day and wondered if you guys were staying the whole winter to use up those stacks of wood?

Nice to have plenty when we cut and stack it a few days before the hunt starts and not have to worry about it. Plus pretty fast with a dozen+ guys and don't have to worry about chainsaws during the hunt.

Last year fire ban really cut down on enjoying the camp fire in the evenings and our wood usage.

Several of us bring home alittle and the local guys load up the left over to burn all winter at their homes in town. Helps them out.

Shadow. Stop in and ask for me and introduce yourself. I've been hunting elk out there since I was 16. Currently 60.

Glad to read this early AM that all got the tag they wanted , more or less.

Damn nice looking camp set-up Mr.!!!

Robb

If the DWR's online system was squared away with little to no wait these tags would have sold out in under 4 hours easy. It was the queue and waiting that pushed the sale out time passed 5PM. What if you are not available because of work or whatever in those precious hours (lazy guys who work for a living!)

If you think it is going to get better in the future you are wrong. If the system stays the same guys are going to have to take a day off to get their elk tag (they kinda already do). Camping in front of the DWR offices/sporting goods stores overnight. Black Friday nonsense but for hunters. Just so the DWR can say we have OTC rifle tags. You can get that tag as long as you aren't LaZy I guess.

It's that or go unlimited rifle tags and I would be totally against that even though that is what the DWR wants to do ($$$). Imagine 30k+ elk hunters stuffed into the any bull areas! Talk about a crappy hunting experience

I would be ok with unlimited if it was HAMS weapons only--that would be self regulating kind of like the archery elk unlimited is now.

Draw is always an option and probably the most 'fair'. Isn't that what we use to distribute all of the other tags in the state?

No option is good at this point (OTC, Draw, Unlimited). Hope the DWR makes the right call that is not revenue based.

If the DWR's online system was squared away with little to no wait these tags would have sold out in under 4 hours easy. It was the queue and waiting that pushed the sale out time passed 5PM. What if you are not available because of work or whatever in those precious hours (lazy guys who work for a living!)

If you think it is going to get better in the future you are wrong. If the system stays the same guys are going to have to take a day off to get their elk tag (they kinda already do). Camping in front of the DWR offices/sporting goods stores overnight. Black Friday nonsense but for hunters. Just so the DWR can say we have OTC rifle tags. You can get that tag as long as you aren't LaZy I guess.

It's that or go unlimited rifle tags and I would be totally against that even though that is what the DWR wants to do ($$$). Imagine 30k+ elk hunters stuffed into the any bull areas! Talk about a crappy hunting experience

I would be ok with unlimited if it was HAMS weapons only--that would be self regulating kind of like the archery elk unlimited is now.

Draw is always an option and probably the most 'fair'. Isn't that what we use to distribute all of the other tags in the state?

No option is good at this point (OTC, Draw, Unlimited). Hope the DWR makes the right call that is not revenue based.
Everyone I know that was working yesterday was able to get a tag. While we might need to go to a draw in the future, we are not there yet. If you wanted a tag you had plenty of opportunity to get one.

If you didn't get a tag, and you wanted one you didn't put any effort into it, That is lazy. It was not difficult to get a tag.

Well I knew it was going to sell out adding roughly 3500 more tags didn't help hell it didn't even make it till the next day If the system was working flawlessly it would of been sold out by noon.

This will go to a draw if something doesn't get done about this now. the last thing we want to happen is it to end up like the GS deer look what of a mess that is...

We need to shut down some LE units, and open them up to General season any bull period. I know that doesn't settle well with people especially the ones that have a lot of LE ELK points in the draw. But we are heading down the same road as the GS deer is.

But let me ask you this are you going to be okay with not having a elk tag in your pocket every year while your waiting to draw a LE elk tag? because if this goes to a draw in ten years GS elk will be just like deer 3 to 4 years to get a tag or worse....

we are already pissed we can't have a deer tag every year or even every other year in our pocket....

Everyone I know that was working yesterday was able to get a tag. While we might need to go to a draw in the future, we are not there yet. If you wanted a tag you had plenty of opportunity to get one.

If you didn't get a tag, and you wanted one you didn't put any effort into it, That is lazy. It was not difficult to get a tag.
difficult is a pretty subjective term but I think most folks would agree that the current process is stressful and time consuming.

Is it a good use of hunters time to park in front of a computer for hours or take their chances at a store? I don't think it is.

You are correct that if one made it a priority then one could obtain a tag. I think those that said this was a one time thing last year have been proven wrong. Like I said, I don't like any of the options and everyone has a preference--I respect yours. I would rather we have that status quo than it goes unlimited rifle

Imagine if there wasn't an online system. Just vendors selling tags. A few hundred computers tied to the DWR watching sales. Traffic gets spread out. And, tags wouldn't sell out that fast, as all the guys "working", would have to go to a vendor.

You fix the issue by elimination of online sales, not adding more.

And yes, those who want it most, get it.

Imagine if there wasn't an online system. Just vendors selling tags. A few hundred computers tied to the DWR watching sales. Traffic gets spread out. And, tags wouldn't sell out that fast, as all the guys "working", would have to go to a vendor.

You fix the issue by elimination of online sales, not adding more.

And yes, those who want it most, get it.
The ole jump through hoops method! Still preferable to unlimited tags. I can image all the spring bars and wall tents set up in front of the DWR offices and license vendors the night before! Would be a regular party! ?

We made a last minute decision to go after spike tags this year but I did log in around 4 pm, after the rush ended just to see what was left and could have hit the trigger and in seconds, had one of the 370 left at that time.

We made a last minute decision to go after spike tags this year but I did log in around 4 pm, after the rush ended just to see what was left and could have hit the trigger and in seconds, had one of the 370 left at that time.
Yep from 1pm on very little to zero waiting on internet to purchase elk tags. After last year people will continue to panic/be pro active and buy the as quick as they can on first day. I know I will. Going to the store appeared to be the fastest method.

General season spike tags going on day 4 and selling the last 2000 is going very slow. 2069 Thursday at 9:15pm. Today still has 580 left. Shouldn't be any complaints on getting a spike tag. If there is it is just plain forgot about the getting on and purchasing one. Hope everyone that really wanted one has done so. Good luck hunting this fall.

Sold out at 6:30pm. Took over 4 days to sell last 2000 tags. Anyone that wanted one had no problem getting one. Good luck hunting this fall and post up the photos of camp, family, friends and if successful those also!!!

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom