OnX “Safety Zones?”

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
E-scouting for an upcoming deer hunt and seeing a lot of “safety zones” on OnX. Can anyone explain them or point me to what they are in the regs? Thanks.

E-scouting for an upcoming deer hunt and seeing a lot of “safety zones” on OnX. Can anyone explain them or point me to what they are in the regs? Thanks.
I don’t believe I’ve ever seen one. Can you show us what you’re seeing?

Are you near military installations?

Not near military…

160BD2EC-DB0C-45BE-86AF-85E47EAC6372.png

Hmmmm. I only have the premium content in CO right now, but haven’t seen that around here. I did a quick look in NM and didn’t see that.

If you pm me something with a reference point, I wouldn’t mind looking to see what it says. I promise I won’t be headed to your honey hole in NM and your secret is safe with me.

This has me curious.

I've seen those and I think they are just areas that are near homes or other areas that they don't want people shooting. The one's I've seen are usually associated with HMA's.

Check the New Mexico Game and Fish map. I've found it is usually more up to date with some of NM unique rules and regs. My bet is that is some type of land swap with a landowner.

Check with the applicable land manager in this case BLM. I ran into this in CO last year as the BLM had designated an area as a no shooting zone in a popular OHV trailhead area on the border of town...

Horniac

Download the 'CarryMap' app. NMDGF uses it and shows more detail on closed areas.

Was told about it by the local Sgt (supervisor) in my area when I asked about a closed area prior to a deer hunt.

There seems to be a legitimate reason for all the safety zones that I'm familiar with.

I know of a "safety zone" that you can't hunt next to a prison. I think it makes sense they don't want a guy packing a gun 100 yards from the prison fence.

I actually know the exact spot you show in your picture. There are actually "military exercises" that take place there on a regular basis. Send me a PM and I could share some basic information about deer in that area.

Not sure why it's labeled "safety zone", but I think that picture is of the unitzed ranch land swap during hunting season. Some of the public land is off limits to hunt, but in return they opened up private land

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom