opening day archery buck

antlerradar

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-05 AT 08:01PM (MST)[p]I located this buck about the first of Aug. He and some of his buddys were feeding on a large open ridge in the mornings and bedding in the thick timber on the north side of the ridge when the sun came up. I decided my best bet was to get to the top of the ridge before light, find the buck and try to get into postion for a shot when he went to bed down. That is just how it worked and I was able to take him at less than 30 yards.
He is my first archery buck and my best over all. The antlers have a spread of just over 30, a gross of 190 and a net of 180 with the velvet.

Antlerradar

arthayes91205.jpg

Thats a great deer, you should be proud of yourself. A deer of that caliber is quite an achievment for anybody, but even more so with a bow. Scott/couesbitten

That's a smoker buck, especially with a bow! Congratulations on a record class buck. Thanks for posting.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Nice buck!! Congratulations.

How long did it take you to find him he looks a bit bloated?

what camo pattern is that ??? I like it.

Very, VERY, good buck.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Excellent buck my friend!

Way to pattern him, it definitely paid off!
Congratulations!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Great buck! absolutly amazing! Congrats!

Kirby

When in doubt, floor it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you find a big stick.

He only went 100 yard before he went down. I watched him fall and he rolled another 50 yards down the the hill. I dressed him and pulled him the rest of the way down the hill to some shade. I then walked back up the ridge and down the other side to the pickup(about a hour and a half walk). Moved the pickup to a closer axcess a point and got some help to get him out. By now it was 95 dgrees out and I left the camo in the pickup. He was also getting stiff and that my be why he looks bloated. Had him home, cut up and in the freezer by three oclock.

Antlerradar

WOW! what a way to start your archery off! Congrat's on a fine trophy,thank's for sharing.

No Gut's...No Story!!!

Great looking buck. Nothing beats the rush of getting in on big bucks like that with just a bow in your hand. You'll be hooked on bow hunting now.

Saskman

Great buck and a great story, plus a super way to start your bowhunting career. Congrats and thanks for sharing the picture and story.

Very nice! I hope to get the one I am looking at this year, looks just like it except for the 8 inch dropper off the left side.

absolutely a beautiful buck, congratulations again on your first bow-kill deer!

that is just one more reason for me to make the trip down to visit you and see your stuff...

Aaron

Some of my freinds have said that the buck could be number one or two in the state records for velvet. I don't have a book so I don't know. Also some of the velvet got torn off some of the points when he rolled down the hill. Will this make a difference?

Antlerradar

Great Buck! Congrats again! Keep him around for a while so I can get a first hand look.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom