Opening day Bear success

Nice job coloradoboy! From the pic it would be interesting to know the age of that bear.

#livelikezac

>Nice job coloradoboy! From the pic
>it would be interesting to
>know the age of that
>bear.
>
>
>#livelikezac

I had him sealed at the DOW office this morning, should know his age here before too long. His teeth didn't show signs that he was past his prime in any sense.

Coloradoboy

That's a nice bear.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

>Great bear! Congrats.
>
>What's the specs on that rifle?
>What bullet were you shooting?
>

Nothing to crazy, just a lot of time spent at the range and the reloading bench. Rifle is a browning xbolt long range in 26 nosler
Vortex Viper hd 6-24 on a Talley 20moa base, Hawkins precision rings
Load is a 142 grain nosler accubond, 80.5 grains of rl33, fed 215 primer with a muzzle velocity of 3280. People don't always realize what a factory rifle is capable of with some TLC.

Coloradoboy

How'd that Accubond do on him as far as penetration and expansion? I'm considering using them for elk because they shoot so straight in my rifle. I've always been a partition fan, but these accubonds really shoot nice groups. My only question is how they do on big game. Thanks.

Longshot, I dumped a 6X6 Bull in Unit 61 in very short order with an '06 using 165gr Accubond. Same with Whitetails here at home. I love them for accuracy as well as getting the job done.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-18 AT 08:51AM (MST)[p]The long range accubond has been a solid performer in this gun. I typically shoot bergers in most my guns but they don't do well at shorter ranges with the higher velocity rounds like the 26 nosler. I'm getting consistent .375 to .4 in groups with noslers. I shot him dead in the chest looking at me at 860 and he dropped instantly and tea kettled down the mountain about 10 times. I didn't gut him out to see the internal damage but I think a one shot drop at that range was proof enough for me. I'm guessing he's around 450 plus pounds. My taxi is guessing he's around a 20in skull.

Coloradoboy

Thanks for the accubond info guys. I has suspected they would do well on heavier game and this is evidence.

Nice looking bear too.

CO Boy,

What was the bear eating? Acorns? I was up this weekend and the bears in my area were not on the berries. I may be early or they are in the acorns?

>CO Boy,
>
>What was the bear eating? Acorns?
> I was up this
>weekend and the bears in
>my area were not on
>the berries. I may be
>early or they are in
>the acorns?

All the bears I seen were gourging themselves on berries. Every pile of scat I came across was full of berry pits.

Any one else find it funny that as hot and dry as we were this year I am being told by my clients that the acorns and berry crops are crazy.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-18 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]Awesome huge western bear. I also killed opening day in archuleta county but about half the size of yours. The choke cherries and acorn crop is off the charts. Gona be a lota bruins on tha smoker this year. Congrats! Oh yeah mine fell to the deadliest mushroom in the woods at 15 yards

The RoseHips in 61 are more numerous than I've ever seen them. My guess is it is a survival response to drought, poutting out lots of seeds for survivial.

Hasbean

>Any one else find it funny
>that as hot and dry
>as we were this year
>I am being told by
>my clients that the acorns
>and berry crops are crazy.
>

What do you think their excuse will be this year when the bear problems in towns start? Wildfires?

#livelikezac

Great rifle and choice of components.

Have you seen any carbon buildup in the 26 with RL33? I'm running it in my 28 and it's a great powder. Just gotta stay after the cleaning.

A little but nothing to extreme. I started the gun out with Hodgon US 869 and got good groups but wanted to move to a temp stable powder. Retumo just caused to much pressure and 50bmg shot well but not as well or consistent as rl33. My 28 nosler loves rl33 also.

Coloradoboy

Congrats, on a great bear! Sounds like an impressive shot too! I'm glad you're doing your part to thin some of the bears out there.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-18 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]Congrats on a great bear ! They don't get much bigger then that....

>My taxi just green scored him
>at 21 1/8 for anyone
>who's wondering..
>
>Coloradoboy

Wow!

#livelikezac

Great Bear.... Congrats!!!

I could guess a couple places in Mesa County that bear came from but it doesn't matter.

Nice bear.

Great photo and a great bear. I can shoot really well at about 1/3 that distance! Nice job.

>Great photo and a great bear.
>I can shoot really well
>at about 1/3 that distance!
>Nice job.

+1!

Congrats CB!

Awesome looking bear. Did you do a rug or mount.
Hope to see the finished deal.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Looks like a big bear. That's neat. Long shot I'd say. I don't think I could even scare anything at that distance.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

>Awesome looking bear. Did you do
>a rug or mount.
>Hope to see the finished deal.
>
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I'm going to have him full bodied

Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-18 AT 08:10PM (MST)[p]>Looks like a big bear. That's
>neat. Long shot I'd say.
>I don't think I could
>even scare anything at that
>distance.
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>@mm_founder on Instagram
>LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
>on Facebook!

Yes it was a poke. I don't go out looking for shots like that but I put serious time and effort into being able to make shots like that and I know when to take and when to not. Yes of course I would of preferred the 50 yard shot but in thick oakbrush country with only 15 minutes of light left with a solid rest and no wind I had to make it happen. (I recovered him in the morning) might not be everyone?s fancy I get that.

Coloradoboy

Beautiful bear in great country.

Congratulations!

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom