Opening Day Taker, or No?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I'll set the scene..... It's opening day of your high country rifle hunt. You burned 7 points for the tag. You didn't get a chance to do any scouting, but from your online chatting, you're thinking he's probably a pretty good one for the area. He's down there at 290 yards. Are you taking him or passing hoping for something that looks like it'd be better eating? :) Or bigger antlers?

I'm sending one his way. Don't pass on first day what you would be happy with on last day. Especially with no scouting. He is a great buck.??

As I have said before, there are many guys on here that are better hunters and killed a lot of bigger deer than me. But for the average guy, with no scouting and, your hearing he is probably a pretty good buck for the area, within 300 yards. I am offering him a dirt nap.

Then I am going to sit back and relax a few days with my boy and friends who were on the trip with me.

That's a mature buck fellas. Not the biggest ever but a proper buck to let the air out of. Very likely I would shoot. He won't be exceptional on score but will likely score and frame out a little bigger than most would judge him at. Very large body on that deer. Deep chest. Big Belly. Big fat ass. Both ears have splits. Waddle on his jaw. Bang!

I'm pulling the trigger without doubt! As someone else wrote on this site, "I'm a meat hunter that identifies as a trophy hunter."

Not sure if he’s worth 7 years of waiting but in today’s world he might be as good as it’s gonna get. He’s plenty mature I agree with that. Might regret it but ...... Boom

He appears to have some growing left to do on his tops. Looks like a big, older buck. I like him, therefore, I shoot him... given your scenario.

I'd let my Dad shoot him. I don't need another pisscutter set of antlers hanging in the rafters. Kidding.

Depends, Can I shoot him out of the window?

But seriously, that buck would be my new personal best...No Question.

I'm an NR. So I'm holding out for a forkhorn :D :D

Just kidding guys...He's going down. No questions asked.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom