OPENING MORNING SANDIAS

coryb

I got my buck opening morning before 7:30. It's my first deer with a bow and I'm thrilled. I'll get a full story and pictures up in the next few days.

Hope it's going good for the other January hunters.

Cory

Congrats. We've seen quite a bit here in 2c, tough getting close on them.

Congrats. I saw a guy gutting one out from across a canyon. I bet it was you. I also saw 6 other hunters. 8 total counting me and my buddy.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-14 AT 10:19AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-14 AT 08:21?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-14 AT 04:58?PM (MST)

Here is the buck I shot in the Sandias on opening morning.

After scouting the southern end of the mountain for months we made a last minute change to hunt the west side of the mountain. NMWapiti33 put me in contact with a friend of his, Steve, who was looking for someone to shoot a buck that had been wounded during the youth hunt last month. He has been going up everyday since and has found the buck almost everyday in the same spot and taken many pictures and videos of him. The buck was hit in the front left shoulder and has since been limping although in the last week he has been chasing does and going about business as usual.

Several days before season a lion hunter ran dogs through the area and the buck disappeared. We went up two days before season and saw other bucks but no luck finding the one we were looking for. I was disappointed as I had really become excited to shoot this buck. The day before the hunt Steve sighted the buck again and we thought we could make it happen.

On opening morning we walked to the spot we had been glassing from and found a herd right away. After a few minutes we had glassed several bucks in the herd and decided to make a stalk. My brother in law, Willie, set up on a trail to the west of the herd and I circled wide to the east. As a was crossing the ridge to drop in on them all I could see was the does and they were starting to get itchy. I was about 100 yards above them when they started to walk up the canyon, away from Willie. I thought I had blown it and decided to make some quick ground to at least turn them towards Willie before it was too late. I hadn't gone far when this guy jumped up from under a tree at 35 yards. He was behind the tree and all I could see was the tips of his antlers. I quickly ranged some points in the clearing behind him and got ready. He started walking quartered away and heading left towards the opening and I drew my bow while he was still behind the tree. Once he hit the opening I grunted and he kept walking. I grunted louder 3 times and he just kept walking. Just as he was at the end of the clearing and I was getting desperate I yelled at him and he stopped just before leaving the lane.

I let it fly at 42 yards and his side exploded with blood. He bolted straight away from me but made an immediate u turn when he encountered some boulders and headed straight for me. I thought he was charging me and I fumbled to nock another arrow as he flew past me at 6 yards. He made it about 80 yards and hit the ground after leaving a highway of blood up to 15 feet wide. All of this happened before 7:30 am.

As we were dressing him we had deer walking up to within 100 yards including a much bigger buck than this that Willie made an unsuccessful attempt to get to.

This was not the buck we were after but it turned out he was also wounded and had a completely ruined front right shoulder with a puncture wound through his shoulder, out his armpit, and into his ribs. The entire shoulder was bruised and discolored.

The other buck is still on the hit list as are the other big bucks we saw, so hopefully one of the other 3 of us with tags can get it done too.

9851img_2425.jpg

1921img_2435.jpg

Right on bud! Thats a nice deer! It wasnt me that came through but if he was on a mule it was probably my buddy. Good luck to the rest of your group!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-14 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]He was on a mule. Give me a call and I will give you those gps coordinates.

Cory

Congrats , what a great buck and awesome story! I seriously got all jacked up reading this....Wished I had a tag for sure but since I don't this is the exact type of read that helps fuel the fire!Happy New Year and again big time congrats...Thanks for sharing it....

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom