Opinions Needed NR Archery Elk 16pts

ChubbyTuna

I'll be 50 next year and it seems with the point creep that I'm falling behind instead getting closer to a premium tag. I was hoping that unit 61 might be within reach but looks like I'm still 7-9 years out. I'll be tent camping near the truck and I like to hunt solo DIY. I do plan on using a packer to help me if successful. I have a nice 320 bull and would love to have a chance to beat that but would choose opportunity over quality if I had to. Can you guys recommend a good unit that I can draw this year.
Thanks so much.

I think 76 is your best option for a public land hunt. I think it took 12 points for NR. There's just not a lot of top tier units in CO. Unit 10 is 20 plus points same for the 1,2,201, 61.

I do not play the points game. I just picked a unit that I can hunt every year.Learned as much as I could about the unit and the animals in the unit. It has done us well over the years.

Thanks Thomas, that gives me a good starting point.

Whiterock: I do hunt either 62 or 71/711 OTC every year but just looking to burn my accumulated points while I can still go solo.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-17 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p]

76 and 49 jump to the top of my list with 16 points, but both would require a pack in camp to have a chance to best your 320. Unit 40 if you have the cash to pay for a trespass hunt on some private, even if you DIY. The next group includes 66/67 but the quality is not what you are looking for unless you get real lucky.

BTW, I am 59 andam going to do a pack in hunt this next fall. Gonna have my gear packed by horses, but I will walk in

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

76 would probably give you the best "experience" of seeing lots of elk. However, much of that is above timberline and that makes it a little more difficult to sneak up to bow range.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

At 65 years old ,50 sounds like a kid. Seriously ,you should find a good unit with that many points.
Can't help you ,I always hunt over the counter units.

76 you waste some points, can you draw muzzy 76? GREAT timing.....

If not archery 76 is your only option I think

Also I had buddy pay a small tresspass fee and see ZERO elk in 40, he admits he should have researched more etc.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom