Opinions on the Charles Daly Rifles

S

Sendero

I want to hear if anybody has a Charles Daly Rifle off of the Mauser Action. The price seems pretty good and I am shopping for a rifle in the $300-$400.00 range. I have been looking at the Savage and the Weatherby Vanguard. I like the Mauser Action but am not that familiar with Charles Daly Bolt Action Rifles. I know a little bit about the Pistols on the 1911 info about them either so I figured this was the place to go. Thanks.

Sendero

Sendero;
I believe the CD Mauser rifles are the same ones made in Yugo. that used to be imported by Interarms before the imbargo stopped the imports during the war there a few years ago. If this is the case, they are of the first quality and have a rep for superior finish and accuracy. My personal elk and deer rifles are Yugo made Mausers that had been imported by Interarms and both will shoot under an inch with the factory barrel, the 25-06 shoots consistant 1/2-3/4 groups day in day out. You will not go wrong with these rifles.

RELH

I personally held one at my local shop lately. The fit and finish was absolutely awful. Maybe I just got a bad one but it was really bad. The trigger was very heavy and creepy. The stock did not fit the action well and the action was rough and stiff. I have also shot 2 different Interarms Mausers and they were in an entirely different class, much, much nicer. The Daly might be a good canidate for customization if you were to ditch everything but the action and put some serious work into it. But for the price, I truly think that an Savage or Howa are much nicer and in a similar price range. Of cousre others may be nice and I might be basing my opinion on the lemon I actually saw and held. I certainly would not buy one sight unseen.

For around $400, you might be able to pick up a Howa 1500 rifle. I believe that Howa manufactures the Weatherby Vanguards(and maybe the older Smith&Wesson rifles). Just another option.

I have also been looking at the Weatherby Vanguard and the Savage Models. I just happened to come across something the other day about the Daly Rifle. I didn't know they even made Rifles. I just thought of shotguns and Pistols when it came to them.

Sendero;

The Mauser rifle imported by Interarms was made by Zavodi Crvena Zastava out of Belgrade, Yugoslavia. They were market under the name of Interarms Mark X. These rifles were excellant quality and were compared as being equal to the commercial Belgium made Mauser rifles.
Based on what Bigpig stated, there is a very good chance that Charles Daley may be using another company out of Yugoslavia to make the rifles they are importing.
The Zastava rifles had a very smooth action, and the metal polish was one of the best on a factory rifle along with the finish bluing and had very accurate barrels. The triggers were very smooth and adjustable. You may want to check with the dealer and find out who is making the rifle before you spend your money.

RELH

RELH, I dont know for sure but I would put money on the Interarms and the Daly being two different manufacturers. Or at least 2 different grades of quality. IMO, the Daly I saw was a real POS.

BigPig;

It is either a different company, or because of the civil war they had for several years, caused them to lose alot of their experienced employees and their quality control took a dump.
I was glad to hear that Charles Daly was importing the Yugo Mausers under the belief that they would still have the same quality that I had seen in the past with Interarms, but based on the rifle you saw, it appears it is not up to the standards that I expected. Sendero would be better off looking at the Howa, their quality control is very good. Savage would also be a good contender for a good rifle that would not cost him a arm and leg.

RELH

Go with the savage. I had one, and it was the most accurate rifle out of the box I have ever shot. Not the prettiest gun, but definately functional.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom