oregon blacktail advice

kimbersig

Hey all, Since I haven't draw jack this year except for doe antelope in Wyoming, I'm thinking going to Oregon to try my hand at blacktails is the best option. I have killed mule deer, whitetails, coues, and Sitka blacktail so all I have left is a Columbia blacktail. "insert not after anyones honey hole line" I'm really just looking for a fun hunt with a chance at a decent buck. I'm looking more at SW Oregon but my mind could always be changed. I haven't picked a unit yet but I have narrowed it down to a few. If anyone knows SW Oregon and would be willing to chat about the different units in general terms I'd appreciate it! I've been to Portland but that is my extent of visits to Oregon but being in Idaho now I can and plan on going over to do a little scouting before season or may just go earlier in the season and hunt more days. Any advice from anyone on tactics and how hunting Columbia blacktails would be different from any of the above species that I've been successful in hunting? I'm a strong back pack hunter so I plan on taking that gear but I was also thinking of taking a nice base camp with wood stove to dry out gear. Most likely I'll be doing this solo this year.

I can provide advice and help folks with info on my experience with the above species as well as lots of experience with hunting all species in NM and some in Idaho.

thanks!

you wont need to backpack anywhere unless you go behind locked gates. Some of that land now you have to by a permit from the lumber companies too, so i would look into that. if you buy the permit you can drive in.

id go the last few days of the season and hopefully the rut is in motion. i recommend glassing clear cuts.

good luck.

Travis

just so happens were hunting idaho 43 this year, and i have some advice for hunting blacktails since i have been a guide over here in s oregon n stuff, rifle or archery my boys do the late archery me n my grandson do the rifle...

36374bradleybuk.jpg

Nice buck!! We are looking at the rifle hunt for sure this year. Any advice would be appreciated. In SW Oregon would the fires that occurred this year be worth hunting or will they still be black.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom