Oregon deer/elk

Salmon

I was lucky enough to draw a Owyhee deer tag and a Ochoco Elk tag for this fall. Would anyone be willing to share any advice or knowledge about these hunts? Thanks in advance...Tom

More info, I am 68yrs old and these will be my last hunts in Oregon. Did talk to a few MM members a month ago who said they would be willing to help me out, but so far nobody has returned my PM's so far. Will only be able to scout 2-3 days before hunt starts. Would just like to have a general idea on where to start if possible. Thanks again to anyone who might help.

The Owyhee is a tough hunt anymore and with the drought and extreme heat we're having it's going to be even more challenging assuming it doesn't burn up.

Obviously water will be even harder to find this year and both the deer and the hunters will all be there. maybe someone with specific information will come forward but all I can say is plan on hunting hard.

I just saw your PM I'd be glad to give you an overview of the Ochoco unit I hunted it last year and spend a lot of time in it.

I'm an advocate for multiple use public lands and I'm for grazing, but this year I've been calling in and griping. the low lands are burnt up and the grass up high is all there is and the FS is letting the allotment holders nuke it. worse than I've ever seen, in reality they shouldn't have let them turn out at all in some allotments and they don't seem to have any intention of pulling them off early from what I gather. I'm not sure where this ends but I see potential for the elk to be down on the private this fall and winter kill this year if we get a winter. there will be plenty of elk on public ground in any event but it could be a factor this year.

Back
Top Bottom