Oregon special draw?

creepingdeath

Hello, I was hoping for some ideas(help) puting in for trophy mulie hunts in Oregon. I've been saving up for a couple years now and finialy can hunt somewhere else besides washington!!! Help Thanks CD

Depends on what you mean by trophy units? What type of terrain do you like, flat desert, high desert, timber, above timber and how many points do you have. If you give me a better idea of what your looking for there are some guys on here that might point you in the right direction.

Rich

don't expect too much, herds are way down thru most of the state...you got points ?...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-07 AT 06:59AM (MST)[p]Well, I want to hunt areas where I can possible get a 170 plus buck. The terrain dosen't matter!!!!!! Just really want a great buck with mass. I have zero points....Thanks fo the input. CD

With 0 points I'd go with an archery tag. Opens up a lot of great country that you stand no chance of hunting with a rifle at this time.

Backpack into the eagle caps. The deer are up high and in the open country so you can glass them. There aren't a lot of places in Oregon that you can hunt like this because there are so many trees. There are still some good bucks up there. OTC archery and 0-2 points for rifle depending on the unit.

Well
I'll be in the Eagle Caps/Minam unit this year for rifle deer. I'm backpacking in with a buddy, we plan on going in about 9 miles a couple of days before the season to set up. As for weather - what do you want?? Really, it can be nice a sunny, then the next day you can have it snow - 2nd week of season more chance of the snow but its a tough call. Expect anything and be prepared, its a pretty rugged area but is a fun area to hunt and like said before not many places in Oregon to get into a wilderness hunt. Good luck.

the eagle caps are not as good as they use to be. Some of my buddys went last year. They were is like eight miles and they saw more hunters then bucks! They say three bucks and 16 hunters in 7 camps. out of those seven camps two bucks were taken 1 forked horn and 1 three point. To many hunters and to many cats are taking there toll on the deer up there.

Back
Top Bottom