Oryx off range

Bump...

Anybody?

I guess I'll start by getting BLM maps of the areas surrounding the WSMR and just wander around and see what I can see/access.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-08 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]Well, it all went down a lot easier than expected. Thanks to some helpful info, a little scouting, and not being too afraid to hike away from the road, I was done on the first day.

Nice bull, a little over 36".

47cc65e83d4511c7.jpg

47cc660f3df78ce1.jpg

Yes, the packing trip was a little rough. It took two of us 5 hours to get all of him back to the truck.

Excellent work man! That is quite the accomplishment.

Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Great job , congrats on a good looking bull! Those are some nice pics , thanks for sharing them and by the way , very cool hat , woof woof.....

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-08 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]nice bull!!

leftturn sent you a pm

pinemesa

What he didn't mention was all the thorns on the way out. Hell at one point I took a thorn to the nipple. You talk about a world of hurt. I was the one taking the pics.

Wow! That's an exceptional bull! Congrats. Off range is getting tougher. I hunted 3 full weekends last year and didn't get one. Great job!

Travis

Awesome and congrats on a hell of a bull. Nice to see an off-range hunter getting out of the truck and scoring!

I have been on 3 off range hunts with fellow hunters and all have turned out successful. We did put in time several weeks before the hunts scouting and finding areas where oryx frequently leave the range. It helped tremendously. All three have required us to leave the truck and get out in the hills. It's nice to see another hunter willing to do the same. Seems like everyone hunts from the truck, a blind or baited areas these days. Good to know there are some real sportsman out there. Congrats on a fantastic Bull!

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, we've never been afraid to cover some ground. Although, with both of us having desk jobs...it's getting harder and harder.

I love to hunt out here in the west. I just cannot stand hunting from a treestand or blind. I've done both, but it's not for me. I have to get out, cover some ground, and see the country. Every time I go out I learn something new.

Are off-range hunts for residents only? I only ask because I didn't see any mention of off-range hunts in the proclamation. I could have missed it though.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom