Oryx-too small to Mount?

H

HillbillyNnevada

My wife took a juvenile oryx about 15 months ago and we haven't heard anything from the taxidermiist since we dropped it off. So my wife calls to check on the status and the taxidermist said that they are having difficulty finding a form because it was so small and said they may have to make a form. Can this be true?

4a0df7303ca17210.jpg

Yes that can be a problem,...the taxidermy supply companies that make the forms that we use want to make forms that will sell of course, therefore they tend to make average to large forms for most mammals since that's what most hunters tend to have mounted. It can be a real problem to find a form that fits a smaller specimen, so they aren't just telling you a tale. Good luck...bet it ate good though!

While it is true we sometimes run across specimens which are too small or too large to fit many standard forms, any taxidermist that knows what he is doing should be able to alter a form to fit the animal. It is part of the business, part of the art of it all. A taxidermist should be able to pull out the recipsaw and go to work.

I just finished an antelope which had a tiny neck and a huge head. I cut the form this way and that, increased the head and nose. Turned out great. It shouldn't cost more either.

Your Oryx looks tiny in the body, but that should just be another challenge for your taxidermist. Anyone can stretch a hide over a premade form. You pay a taxidermist to bring your animal back to life, which means they have to customize the form. Best of Luck.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I have mounted big , small , extra large oryx. there is not a lot of forms to choose from , but enough. altering a form to fit is just a little brain work, not a problem. three simple cuts to the form and a little sanding you make it fit . most forms do reqiure altering, I would say theres a little inexp. with that taxi.

>While it is true we sometimes
>run across specimens which are
>too small or too large
>to fit many standard forms,
>any taxidermist that knows what
>he is doing should be
>able to alter a form
>to fit the animal.
>It is part of the
>business, part of the art
>of it all. A
>taxidermist should be able to
>pull out the recipsaw and
>go to work.
>
>I just finished an antelope which
>had a tiny neck and
>a huge head. I
>cut the form this way
>and that, increased the head
>and nose. Turned out
>great. It shouldn't cost
>more either.
>
>Your Oryx looks tiny in the
>body, but that should just
>be another challenge for your
>taxidermist. Anyone can stretch
>a hide over a premade
>form. You pay a
>taxidermist to bring your animal
>back to life, which means
>they have to customize the
>form. Best of Luck.
>
>
>-------------------------
>www.sagebasin.com
>-------------------------

Packout, excellant post!

I had my daughters mounted it came out great. The work was done very well and yes he had to cut the form to fit. Little juv. oryx but very nice trophy.

30 inch, do you happen to have a picture of your daughter's mount?

We are still waiting on my wife's juvenile oryx mount. Taxi keeps giving us the runaround on when it will be finished--16 months and counting.

Sorry took so long to see your question to me. i do not have a picture but will ask daughter to take one and send it to me.

She is in Las Cruces going to school and took the mount to hang in her house.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom