Oryx

backpacker

I've been reading the other posts on oryx and was just wondering how physically demanding it is? I want to apply my dad for the license but he's older and not in the best shape. Also, is there a better time to hunt them? All the seasons are short and I was wondering if they have a rut like other animals. Thanks.

Nope, they do not have a rut. The biologists tell me that after a cow drops her calf, she will be pregnant again within a month.

The rigors of the hunt will be determined by how picky and lucky the hunter is. Sometimes they can be seen close to the road, other times you have to work for them. The off range hunts are a month long. Personally, I would not put in for a warm weather tag. Hunting in 80+? heat is not my idea of a good time. The on range hunts (once in a lifetime and broken horn) are 2 day hunts.

I think the on range tag would be a good choice. On my hunt in October each hunter was allowed to take three people to help out with the hunt. Your dad would just have to shoot it, and then let you young guys do all the work.

I agree with hntbambi those early hunts are no fun the first Stallion hunt this year was over 100 and the first Rhodes hunt a week later was hovering in the high 90's the capes on some animals were slipping before the hunters could even get them out of the gate. The November hunt was great and so was the December. The success rates are higher on both the Stallion or the Rhodes compared to the Small Missle Range. I would put him in a 8 year old boy killed a real nice cow ealier this year. Hope that helps,
Jordan

ok guys, I got a real dumb question. I am an Oryx idiot. Ha!

Oryx resemble a horse. The tail and head. So, does the beast have a horse hoof or a cloven hoof? I am guessing cloven?

The closest hunt to compare it to is an antelope hunt. It is kinda what you make of it. If you are picky you will have to work for it. If you are not, you can probably shoot one right off the road. Just be sure to take enough gun, they are tough animals and have a really weird internal organ configuration. You will have to shoot them square in the shoulder, any farther back is a gut shot.

IMO It is great hunt for kids and older people.... The only thing to remember is that if you are on-range you can only take one maybe two guests so it might be hard loading the animal...

RRS1 is correct the vital are pretty far forward.

Jason
I updated the website... www.thenewmexicosportsman.com

All African animals have lung further forward from what I hear, good point, hopefully I can remember that if I ever draw a tag! From what I hear if your dad takes some help he should have no trouble getting a oryx, success rates are high, most tag out first day.

Thanks balz. I was guessin' cloven, but I would not have bet the ranch on it. You guys say they taste great. Everything I have ate without a cloven hoof kind of sucks!;-)

Can the ORYX be quarted and packed out to the truck or do they need to be checked in whole? Is the hunt a spot and stalk a few miles from the truck or more of a road hunt? Going in March I guess I'll find out then. Any one want to share experiences of the Rhodes Canyon hunt?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-08 AT 06:47AM (MST)[p]new for 2008 you can take up to 3 guest per hunter so you can take plenty of help to load them. You can quarter an animal if you want to.It is a truck hunt you can drive around and glass until you find what you are after then make a stalk. Come to think of it I am going on an oryx hunt this weekend and they sent a letter stating we could have 3 guest.

You are also allow to drive offroad to pick up the oryx. Most areas are easy enough for this. - But take 2 spares if possible - mean rocks and mean catus.

Yes it is 3 guest for this year.

In a couple of weeks it will be my 6th time on the Stallion Range. 100% sucess. Rhodes from what I have heard is also good.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom