Oryx

BradA

Very Active Member
Does the state sell any oryx tags? I have always wanted to draw one of these tags and never have, so that lead to the curiosity of the option of just being able to purchase one. The research I have done I haven’t found one and if that’s the case then I guess I will continue to apply and hope for the best. Probably couldn’t afford to buy one for the next couple years anyway. Looks like a fun hunt that I would like to experience one day.

Texas might, but I am not sure. Odds might also be a lot better if applying for off range oryx. But I think that will take a lot longer and more effort to be successful.

Does the state sell any oryx tags? I have always wanted to draw one of these tags and never have, so that lead to the curiosity of the option of just being able to purchase one. The research I have done I haven’t found one and if that’s the case then I guess I will continue to apply and hope for the best. Probably couldn’t afford to buy one for the next couple years anyway. Looks like a fun hunt that I would like to experience one day.

Yes. Private Land only OTC. Just logon like normal to the website, select, and buy.

Don't do it though until you have secured permission on a piece of private (that holds oryx).

Be careful not to pay too much before considering an Africa Oryx for about $600.

I drew WSMR and after the $1900 tag and travel expenses, that’s a big dent in an Africa trip.

A couple nights at the Days Inn in Socorro isn’t the experience Africa can be.

There are some Africa hunts that are every bit of the “hunt” that on-range NM is.

Be careful not to pay too much before considering an Africa Oryx for about $600.

I drew WSMR and after the $1900 tag and travel expenses, that’s a big dent in an Africa trip.

A couple nights at the Days Inn in Socorro isn’t the experience Africa can be.

There are some Africa hunts that are every bit of the “hunt” that on-range NM is.

This. Expect a PL oryx hunt to have a total of close to $3500 - $4500.

Most ranches are going to likely require you to go through a trusted outfitter.

I know the Armendaris Ranch sells oryx tags, at least they did six years ago when I was allowed to hunt my desert bighorn there. If I remember right, there might be a waiting list though.

After getting my ram and driving it to the facilities they had for butchering, there were a couple of successful oryx hunters already there, and their guide actually measured my ram for me.

I think they're also allowed to sell a desert bighorn for every one that NM awards in that unit through the draw.

Be very careful about some Ranch tags, I've heard plenty of stories about how they will not let you shoot any Oryx. You run into a 40 inch female they say we are hunting trophy bulls, you see a trophy bull and they say we are hunting cows. You can come back if unsuccessful but won't ever call you, back. Just make sure you get everything in writing.

I opted to go to South Africa in a few years and get mine. I plan to harvest and import five or six animals, including gemsbok and kudu. The total cost will be around $12,000 (airfare, hunt, imports, etc.), or roughly $2,000-$2,500 per animal on average. I'm doing European mounts over there before they are shipped home. I rarely shoulder mount anything anymore because I'd rather spend less on taxidermy and more on adventures. I do plan to get a shoulder or pedestal mount done when I draw my Utah mountain goat.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom