otc archery deer

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Who is hunting the desert and when? Southern or Northern? I'll be down hunting mule deer first around the 10th of Jan for a week.

My wife had a general deer tag. I have been hunting the desert for over 40 years and never saw so many people. It was hard to get away from the crowds. I can only imagine what Dec/Jan is going to look like.

My wife had a general deer tag. I have been hunting the desert for over 40 years and never saw so many people. It was hard to get away from the crowds. I can only imagine what Dec/Jan is going to look like.
Covid crowds or hunters? The cooler weather is helping keep the Covid people out of the high country. It was bonkers this year.

Question ???

Isn't the non permit archery deer tag good for 365 days, but you can only take one buck in a calendar year ???

So what is a 'calendar year' that the regs talk about for this tag?

Not referring to the license here at all. I know that is a 365 day thing.

Cheers, Pete

The deer permit is only good for the calendar year (Jan 1-Dec 31) and only one deer per calendar year. Your hunting license is good for one year from date of purchase.

Question ???

Isn't the non permit archery deer tag good for 365 days, but you can only take one buck in a calendar year ???

So what is a 'calendar year' that the regs talk about for this tag?

Not referring to the license here at all. I know that is a 365 day thing.

Cheers, Pete
Non-permit tags are good for one year, Jan 1st to Dec. 31st. Your hunting license is good for one year from date of purchase. You are only allowed to shoot one deer per calendar year. Like one deer in 2020 and 1 deer in 2021.

A good gift to ask for every year is all your OTC tags as Christmas gifts. OTC deer, mtn lion, bear and turkey. Ask for a combo hunt/fish license for your birthday gift or always buy it the last day you can apply for elk/antelope.

Shooting daily now getting ready for the upcoming Mule deer hunt in January. Are there any bucks left that survived the rifle and ML season??

Last edited:
49D29B6B-2ED5-46B9-B080-E061F08A1A72.jpeg

Here’s one a buddy is hunting

Just to locate a deer like that would make the trip a success. I seen a buck killed by an outfitter with a ML the other day and he was a stud.

Question, can OTC permits be purchased online like the non-res combo, or do they have to be purchased in state?

First time AZ OTC hunter here. I'll be in a southern unit 1/10 through 1/14. Just hoping to see some deer! Trying to pick areas that the terrain is similar to what I've hunted in New Mexico. Hope it works out. Per the AZ success rate, the odds are against me!

You can order from G&F offices (there’s a form that has to be printed and sent in). There’s no true online purchase option other than the hunting license only. The AO deer permit is only via a form......or in person.

you can also purchase a permit at Walmart, etc,.......but they can charge a small processing fee above the purchase price

Thanks Bohntr. One additional question for the group. Looking through the regulation booklet, it talks about trespassing laws. Am I correct in my interpretation that property needs to be posted every 400 yards to be off limit? Do most properties actually post their land?

It does need to be posted...at entry points as well. Yes, some ranchers post theirs depending on where you’re at.

I could use some clarification on state trust lands. I believe you have to have permission from the private land manager of checkerboard state trust parcel even if it touches county or state roads? I know I don't have the terminology for AZ down yet, but I think it' something like that.

Curious if that is correct or if you can go just hunt if it's not posted and state land?

Cheers,
Pete

I could use some clarification on state trust lands. I believe you have to have permission from the private land manager of checkerboard state trust parcel even if it touches county or state roads? I know I don't have the terminology for AZ down yet, but I think it' something like that.

Curious if that is correct or if you can go just hunt if it's not posted and state land?

Cheers,
Pete
State land is open to all who have a valid hunting license/tag. No permission is required.

Here's one I was reading through and got a head ache from :)

Here's the line toward the bottom talking about closed areas -

The Permittee(s) acknowledge that recreation on State Trust land must only be conducted on lands that are open for recreation. Lands leased for agriculture, mining, commercial, or military purposes are not open to recreational use. Other State Trust lands may be closed to some or all recreational uses in coordination with other land management agencies. Permittee(s) is responsible for being aware of and complying with State Trust land closures. For more information on State Trust land closures, please click here (http://gis.azland.gov/webapps/parcel/) or call 602-542-4631.

Seems like I read somewhere else that private property has to be posted every so often. There was a piece of state trust land at one of the gates leaving the Perrin Ranch in unit 10 onto the Aja Ranch. The Aja doesn't allow any hunting. We could get onto that piece of state trust land from either the Perrin Ranch or the national forest. There were no, no tresspassing signs or painted fence or trees behind it on either of the two boundaries touching the Aja ranch.

Mr Perrin told us we weren't allowed to hunt there, but from the above and some other forums it seems we can with a hunting license. Additionally there is more confusion if the Aja needs to post their property behind the state trust land that has no fences or any markings on the boundary that is legally accessed from outside their property boundary.

Someone else told us we could just go hunt their land and the state trust in it, if they don't have it posted. Obviously I wasn't about to do that.

Just a bit confusing to the uninitiated :)

Cheers, Pete

Cheers Pete for that tid bit of wonderful confusion. I say if it’s state, NF or BLM and you can access it without going onto private then game on. I’m gonna keep it simple. Corner hopping, now I’m not sure on that in Arizona? Maybe someone can chime in? Although I will say I haven’t had the issue even come up in Arizona before. New Mexico, many time.

How has moisture/precipitation been in Az so far this fall?
Flagstaff is about to record the driest year ever! That doesn’t bode well for the rest of the state either. It hasn’t been a good precipitation year at all!

2020 has been cursed all the way around...even that damn rain/snow decided to wear a mask! Lol

Just a snapshot - Percent of normal for Oct/Nov/Dec. But the whole year has been this way.

FF20B698-B39E-4E9D-9B4B-AE6E666C609A.jpeg

Last edited:

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom