OTC Archery Hunt Help?

elks96

Long Time Member
So my step brother and I and our families are looking at a Christmas hunting trip. We both are pretty hardcore archery hunters etc. His wife hunts, my wife hunts, my daughter age 12 hunts etc. He has been applying and building point in AZ, as teacher I struggle to build points because money is always tight. We are looking for anyone willing to help us narrow down units to look at. I can do a ton of research once we have a few ideas...

So things to consider, we will hunt high or low, but the appeal to AZ is hunting the lower country as we have plenty of high country.

We love hunting the junipers and desert in WY and Colorado so places where we can park walk out a little ways and glass for miles is better than thick. The open country hunting allows our kids (ages 12, 11, 10, and 8) to glass see things and then when bored go play on the rocks etc.

We want a location where we can over lap with Javelina and maybe our wives and my daughter get the Javelina tags and we hunt deer or vice versus.

We would prefer and area with a decent chance at a Coues deer, but any deer are good. Also we are not looking to shoot young deer, but antlers do not matter, just looking for age. If I see a 4 year old 2 point it is in a lot more trouble that 2 year old basket 4.

We are coming from Western Colorado, so units closer to the north or east side of the state would be nice.

If not pinon and cactus country, there is something really cool about the areas with big cactus etc.

Also realize that if you prefer to PM I will guard your info with my life. I have spent years helping all sorts of guys hunt Western Colorado so if you want any info on this area let me know.

So what areas would you look at for the trifecta of animals and areas with good glassing etc. Not worried about monster bucks but do not want to see a bunch of 2 year old bucks breeding the doe either...

Thanks for any help.

You might be disappointed with the quality of hunting in the low country. The animal per square mile ratio is very low. Most coues deer hunters that glass one two point buck in a day consider it a pretty good hunt. If you begin with the mentality that it's going to be a really boring you'll be fine. The successful coues deer hunters are patient behind their glass.

There is several OTC units in Arizona that would work for you. Two of my favorite are unit 23 and 27. 27 is more remote but has great coues and some good muleys plus quite a few pigs.
Unit 23 is also very good for all species.

Good luck !

Hey Elks, I've been to AZ only once so I don't have anything to offer. But if I did, I would give you the exact location of my favorite glassing rock. I've seen your posts offering help and info and I hope the good karma you've given comes back tenfold!

Good luck and post pics!

Unit 27 has everything you are looking for. You could hunt 7k ft plus or down on the desert floor. It's on the east side of state. All three species. Plenty of glassing.

You could go down to 29 if you wanted to, probably less folks but it's a further drive. Maybe more deer.

Good luck. Have a blast.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom