OTC Elk

C

caterpillar

Has anybody heard of a 370 to 390 bull being killed last weekend around Camp Verde. this bull is suppose to be a 7x8 with two drop tines, one on each side.

Yep there is a bull that was killed that is supposed to be close to 390. There was also a 6x7 killed a couple weeks ago but not sure what that one will score. Its hit or miss. You gotta know where the elk go. Definitely not an easy hunt.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

Not on the OTC tag but we saw a couple bulls by Kirkland Jct. while varmint callin the other day.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
th_Nuke.gif

Nope haven't heard about the Alamo area.

A friend and I have chased that bull for awhile with a bow to bad he had to be taken with a rifle. does anyone have pics? I think tha AZGFD ruined that area by opening it to a rifle hunt mostly year round now. It was a good and challenging area to hunt with a bow. I heard when that bull was taken the entire area was flooded with people on horses and four wheelers all toting rifles and trying to push him out so that some one could get a shot at him, i hope this was not the case. anyways congrats to the hunter who got him, if you are reading this post some pics for all of us to see.

If the chasing with ATVs was the case, then we should hope that LE/G&F was called about the illegal chasing/herding/harrassing of the elk. Also, the bull would not be considered being taken under the rules of fair chase for any record book purposes.

I do not know first hand if this was the exact method used to take the bull,but i do know first hand that the entire area that this particular bull had been seen by myself and friends had more atvs than a motor cross race and more horses than a rodeo in it. the next day after this big gathering of people is when the rumor was started that the bull had been killed.maybe just an odd coincident. two days later and the next weekend the place was a ghost town. and evet part of the area that i went in had horse tracks on the ridges and atv tracks in the washes.Another question, if the elk are naturally living in the environment then why would the AZGFD try to eliminate them by opening up the area to rifle hunting. this was a good place for people that did not get drawn to at least go out and hunt elk with a bow even though there are very few elk in the area. the elk with be eliminated from the area if rifle hunting continues. i the rifle hunt is just a way to make more money for the AZGFD, when i bought my tag this year i was told by the AZGFD that they had hoped to double the amount of tags sold by adding a rifle hunt to the otc areas.

The objective is to eliminate all the elk from this area. G&F does not want elk in the area so they opened it up to rifle to wipe it out easier than with archery. They figured there were enough areas outside the city limits a rifle could be used, why not?

There are still places within some of the city limits that hold elk that rifles cannot be used. You can still use a bow and not worry about rifle hunters.

Well i guess that good to give rifle hunters something to do if they are not drawn.I also took advantage of the rifle hunt but lost a little motivation when i heard that big bull was killed.i guess now i will just have to wait for draw results to see if i will brave the heat with a rifle or brave the jungle along the river with a bow.one good thing is that i know there are more than just those two bulls that i consider trophies and i will glady give it a go again this summer.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom