OTC ibex

H20fowler

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of an otc New Mexico ibex spot? My son is 15 and I want to take him out, thank you

Hey welcome to the forum. Keep checking your messages someone will likely private message you with coordinates shortly. Lot of OTC IBEX hunters around here. Cheers

Just got back from my son’s archery Ibex hunt. Really neat animals. Really challenging with a bow. His was a draw tag. Close but no banana. Would love to try with a rifle. Good luck

Wow.

Guys are tight lipped about OTC barb spots. Asking for an OTC ibex spot is like asking to borrow a guys wife.

I only know 1 guy who's even alluded to OTC ibex and even then he was incredibly vague. Most people probably wouldn't share an OTC ibex spot with mother Theresa.

Unless you live in Deming and can start exploring daily or weekly, you'll likely find a unicorn, bigfoot, and a shelf full of primers before an OTC ibex. Even if you do live in Deming you may find 2/3 before the ibex.

More seriously though, if you do find one please post a report and some pics (without sharing the location or even that it was OTC). That'd be an awesome accomplishment.

I live in NM and have been lucky to hunt ibex with a bow a few times. Its about as good of a hunt as you can dream of. However, you have to hunt on one of the draw tags to have that experience.

I have looked in the nearby otc units and not a goat to be found. I know of an Alaska Sheep guide who puts a NM Ibex at the very top of his bucket list. He came down here and flew the area in a bush plane for a week trying to find an otc billy and never saw one. Now, he is putting in for the draw and crossing his fingers like the rest of us.

I'd say put your kid in and wait..... or buy an otc tag and take a shotgun. The quail down there can be amazing....

Just got back from hunting Ibex last week on the actual draw unit. According to the local biologist they flew the unit 3 times last month and counted 127 total ibex. When the numbers were up around 800-1000 there where a few that wondered off the unit but I think the odds with the current low numbers is slim to none! Save the gas money and buy a Corsican ram hunt in Texas.

Just got back from hunting Ibex last week on the actual draw unit. According to the local biologist they flew the unit 3 times last month and counted 127 total ibex. When the numbers were up around 800-1000 there where a few that wondered off the unit but I think the odds with the current low numbers is slim to none! Save the gas money and buy a Corsican ram hunt in Texas.

Did you see any or take one?

We must have seen every Ibex on the mountain during my son’s hunt if there are only 127 animals. Seeing them was one thing, seeing one where you dared to get close enough for a bow shot was something else. They live on ledges you’d need climbing gear to get close. We’ve had success on Mountain goat hunts, and the Ibex archery hunt was an extreme goat hunt. They are beautiful animals. There are multiple reasons the success rate is so low. Very challenging hunt.

Darn, I did not know the population on the rock was that low. With all the extra hunts the last few years I thought they were over populated. Must of been great back when there was almost 1000 animals on that rock.

127? JHC! When I hunted them in the mid-90's, there were 1500-1800 animals.

There are no OTC ibex hunts. There may have been a few in the West Portillos years ago, but not anymore.

NM_Ibex_1994 (1).jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom