Our Family High Country Cabin

BCBOY

Long Time Member
Here's a picture of our family cabin in the highcountry of Blue River, BC. My wife's greatgrandfather build it over 60 years ago. He was an avid backcountry telemark skier and came accoss this basin one winter. He liked it so much that he went back the next summer and built this two story cabin. In 1992, the BC government gave the family homesteading rights to the land. This picture was taken on a weekend Mt.Goat hunt. As you can tell from the fog, I didn't see any goats that weekend.

Ken-NelsCabin.jpg

This photo was taken from the front door of the cabin. There are actually two lakes within this basin. Both were stalked with Rainbow Trout in the 1950's. Fishing is great, with lots of action, but nothing big. My wife's grandfather told me that his brother-in-law's caught all the big ones years ago.

Mt.Cook.jpg

That looks like an awesome cabin, and an awesome area! How do you get into the cabin?? I heard of a few cabins that were built off of some of the forestry roads i worked on in that area, i wonder if this could be one of them??? Again, awesome pics steve, thanks for sharing!

Matt

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-03 AT 09:20PM (MST)[p]Hey Matt,
This cabin is a good hard climb up a trail that takes off of a forestry road. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to hike if you are in good shape. Mike Wiegle Heli-Ski Resort has a deal with the family to use the cabin for avalanche training sessions. He has flown up big propane tanks and the cabin has been set up with propane lights ans stove. As well as a big wood cook stove and woodstove. It can sleep over 10 people. We also get good deals from him if we want to fly to the cabin instead of hike.
There are several other forestry cabins in the backcountry around Blue River. Most are hike in access. Several are maintained by snowmoble clubs and Mike Wiegle.
Another thing I should note that only family members are welcome to use the cabin. The only way a non-family member can go up there is if they are with a family member. The family is fairly large and we have to book our weekends well in advance with my wife's aunt. Other than hunting for goats one year, I've never hunted seriously from it. There are a couple of muley racks in the cabin, but I haven't seen to many deer in there. I'm sure that Blue River has some monsters but the deer are very sparce with a lot of terrain to hide in. It is moose country more than anything else.

The cabin i heard of was off of the Otter crk road i bleieve, i cant remember for sure. You also have to hike into that one. That would be an awesome getaway to go to, i was thinking about building a cabin this summer, but i could get in sh!t for doing that i think. I just need to find a good area....

Matt

Steve,

Howd you do this weekend shed hunting? I went out today and right off the bat i spotted a deer and looked through my binos at it and could tell it was a buck, but no antlers! It didnt have a mature bucks body but i think it was about a 2.5 yr old. So i walked a lot of area, just going back and forth, but i didnt find any fresh sheds. I did jump a couple deer but didnt get looks at them because of the thick cover. Later on today my basset hound found his first shed! Its a 5 pt not counting eyeguards. About a 70 inch shed. My dog just walked over to the antler and started nudging it, and then i saw what he was trying to get! LOL, i was pretty proud of him. But either than that, i had no action. How was your weekend?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom