Out of box most accurate hunting rifle.

sniper14

Just wanted to see what gun people think is most accurate out of the box, shooting over the counter bullets. Looking to get my first rifle for deer and just wondering where to begin.

Thanks

IMHO, your best two are Bergara or Browning. I have a Browning Hell’s canyon long range and a Bergara B14, that with a proper break in and good optics will shoot near what many “custom” set ups shoot. Both of those companies have guns well over 1k and Browning has some Lower than 1k.

I guess it would help if you gave a price range. In most cases your scope will cost as much or
More than the rifle.

You want a production rifle that is bedded. Browning is one of them. It's bad enough most rifles comes in cheap plastic stocks but not to have it bedded is asking for flyers. :)

Alot has to do with the skill of the person mounting the scope on your new rifle. I bought an X-bolt 300 wsm with Nikon scope a few years back. The young guy mounting the scope had some serious skills. 1st 3-shots at 100 yards were within a 2-inch circle of the bulls eye with Federal ammo. I have since messed it up by tinkering and have had to work hard to get that accuracy back.

Cooper Rifles but you'll invest some real money.
Those come in a box, right? LOL

What kind of dough do you want to spend? That's the real question.

The above suggestions are solid if you don't want to break the bank.

Zeke

Right now $1200 is probably my limit. Would love to own cooper someday.

most accurate out of the box, shooting over the counter bullets

Are you asking about accurate rifles or most accurate ammo?

RELH

most accurate out of the box, shooting over the counter bullets

Are you asking about accurate rifles or most accurate ammo?

RELH
Wanting to buy a rifle, and if you know what factory ammo shoots well with it that is a bonus for me as I don't reload.

My grandson and I got new Browning X bolts last year. His is an eclipse and mine is the Gold Medallion. Both in the $1200 range both really great rifles

I'd like to know what's cheap, LIGHTWEIGHT and accurate. I want something light enough to want to bring with me when I just go out to glass just in case I see a lion.

I have a Tikka T3, weatherby vanguard and Christensen arms mesa. All 3 can get me a 3" group at 300 yards if I have a good day. Next gun is going to be a browning xbolt.

I have a few custom rifles, a handful of "semi-custom" and a armful of over the counter rifles. My main go to for western hunting is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. It shoots extremely well and is light for long days on the mountain. Other than that rifle, my secondary and most often used rifle at home on whitetails are one of my Bergara rifles. My opinion, straight out of a box, the Bergara is an accurate well made killing machine for hunting. I use it, and my two boys use them, ages 10 and 12. Very accurate and easy to get behind rifles that don't break the bank.
2Muleys

Sniper 14, I used to build custom rifles fitted with match grade barrels. I tested every rifle for accuracy using factory ammo. I found that Federal ammo proved to be more consistent for good accuracy over other brands.
This was 20 years ago, as for best accuracy today, may have changed, but back then Federal was best using their loads with Sierra bullets or Nosler Partition bullets.
RELH

Guess I'm a pretty lucky guy. Some rifles in my war room consist of a Ruger American in .270, two Stevens 200's in .25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag and a couple of Winchester Model 70's in .270 WSM and 7mm WSM.

None of them are glass bedded (that I'm aware of), just floated barrels out of the box. Ammo is published load data and not tailored to the rifle, so essentially store ammo.

All of these rifles consistently hit the center of a 3" circle at 500 yds leaning across the hood of the truck.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and again, in my case, 5 times.

How Many Holes/Powder Burns You got on the Hood?

I'd like Pics!:D

Guess I'm a pretty lucky guy. Some rifles in my war room consist of a Ruger American in .270, two Stevens 200's in .25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag and a couple of Winchester Model 70's in .270 WSM and 7mm WSM.

None of them are glass bedded (that I'm aware of), just floated barrels out of the box. Ammo is published load data and not tailored to the rifle, so essentially store ammo.

All of these rifles consistently hit the center of a 3" circle at 500 yds leaning across the hood of the truck.

Alot has to do with the skill of the person mounting the scope on your new rifle. I bought an X-bolt 300 wsm with Nikon scope a few years back. The young guy mounting the scope had some serious skills. 1st 3-shots at 100 yards were within a 2-inch circle of the bulls eye with Federal ammo. I have since messed it up by tinkering and have had to work hard to get that accuracy back.
Huh? Not sure I follow you unless you mean some people shoot better than others. The kid who mounted the scopes on my guns shot a lot better than the old man who shoots them now.:confused:

I have a few expensive Remington 700 builds, but I needed a light weight rifle that could really take some abuse on and off a snowmobile hunting wolves through the winter, cheap and accurate. I settled for the Rugar American Predator the 6.5 creedmoor with the Hornady 143 ELDX, I really hate saying it for a Man-Bun Gun this little plastic piece of crap out shoots all my rifles. You should go buy one if you want your bullet holes all touching, all for whooping 425.00

I bought my wife a 6.5-300wby in a weatherby accuguard that shoots half moa groups with factory ammo. It was about $800.
I have 4 other weatherby rifles in weatherby calibers. One mark v and 3 vanguards and they will all shoot better than moa.
If it was my money I would buy a vanguard in 257wby and you'd be set for everything from mice to moose!

Depends on what you consider a factory rifle...
I’ll call it over the counter rifles
Mid tier
Bergara
Browning
Savage
Tikka/
Top Tier
Christensen
Seekins
Fierce

It’s a lot like trucks... some can be absolute gems or others can be turds. Just depends if they are built on early in the week or on Friday.

I saw a movie like that once.

My Savages have always been very impressive to me.
I bought a Remington Sendero a couple years back and that POS would NEVER shoot.
I then bought a Christensen Arms Mesa in a .300 Win Mag. I absolutely LOVE that gun! Great feel. Great fit. And it flat out shoots (with factory ammo).
I really do like the looks of the Coopers as well and might invest in one at some point. I think I paid about $1,400 for my Christensen Arms Mesa.

6.5 creedmoor Tikka t3x superlite. Hard to beat.
ignore the 2 I pulled :)

09AC1E20-1393-4D73-916E-190204C04500.jpeg

If you can stretch the budget just a hair more, Sportsmans Warehouse has the Nosler M48 Liberty on sale in 28 Nosler caliber for $1,300. Kill anything in North America with a gun that has features typically found on custom guns.

I can only comment on guns I own which include Browning A Bolts (no X Bolts) But all 3 of the Savage Weather Warriors we own are tackdrivers.

Best triggers, outta the box of any guns I own.

And I have 2 with the Accustock. I would pay the extra $100 and carry the extra 8 ounces.

Looking in the $800 range. Put the extra $400 into your scope.

The 7 mag puts 3 bullets in a 3" circle at 500 yards, Lead Sled and bench. Ammo is reloaded for the gun but when I was breaking in the barrel, I used factory and shots were touching at 100.

I'm sure the other suggestions are great as well. But all 3 of our Savages shoot better than I can.

Every gun I have owned, until 3 years ago, has come from a factory in a box. I have owned Winchester, Ruger, Remington, and Browning. I hand load all my ammo so I have always been able to eventually get each one of them to shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yds.
(Especially if I ignore the two I pulled! ?)
But I agree 100% with Coloradoboy that getting a great shooting, out of the box, with factory ammo, rifle is a little bit of a crap shoot, regardless of the manufacturer.
So find one you like that fits your budget and roll the dice!
Be aware that some guns shoot one brand and weight of bullet better than others, so you can always try different ammo until you find one that shoots well in your rifle.

I’ve been thinking about a 28 Nosler for awhile now, I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread.

If you only want to spend 1200.00, what are you scoping it wth. I would be putting at least 850.00 to 1500.00 in the scope. Maybe a 2500.00 set up, now these guys have given you a lot of options that are obtainabl.

Not to HI-JACK the Thread!

But What's the Worst Shooting New Out of the Box Gun You've ever Bought?

I'll Start it:

Browning A-Bort!

The F'N Thing Has Never Shot in the Same Place Twice in it's Life No Matter What Ammo or Who is Shooting it!

Wished I had the Money in My Pocket that I've Wasted on this POJ!

I'll Start it:

Browning A-Bort!

The F'N Thing Has Never Shot in the Same Place Twice in it's Life No Matter What Ammo or Who is Shooting it!

My father in law has a Tikka like that. Sent it back to the factory and that helped some but still pretty bad.

My wife's A-bolt 270 wsm shoots great. My daughters X-bolt in 7mm08 shoots meh...

Good and bad in all of them I suppose.

Bill

I'll Start it:

Browning A-Bort!

I had a Remington BDL in 30-06 that the only thing it was good for was a paper weight.

I have a few expensive Remington 700 builds, but I needed a light weight rifle that could really take some abuse on and off a snowmobile hunting wolves through the winter, cheap and accurate. I settled for the Rugar American Predator the 6.5 creedmoor with the Hornady 143 ELDX, I really hate saying it for a Man-Bun Gun this little plastic piece of crap out shoots all my rifles. You should go buy one if you want your bullet holes all touching, all for whooping 425.00
Everyone talks **** on this gun until they see it preform. It is a clunky, plastic, cheap gun that just flat shoots!!

I saw on Euro-optic had a whole slew of Mausers in a variety of all the popular calibers in the 400 dollar range...seems like a smokin deal....they claimed sub MOA and it seems Mauser is traditionally a good rifle. I know enough about rifles to know I don;'t know that much. love my 7 mag and that will be my go to gun for everything but tempted to get a .243

I saw on Euro-optic had a whole slew of Mausers in a variety of all the popular calibers in the 400 dollar range...seems like a smokin deal....they claimed sub MOA and it seems Mauser is traditionally a good rifle. I know enough about rifles to know I don;'t know that much. love my 7 mag and that will be my go to gun for everything but tempted to get a .243

I've seen and considered one of these in 6.5 prc for a designated CA non toxic ammo gun. I have a custom .300 wby that I love how it's set up and with lead ammo I am confident in its use out tons far as I can shoot so I dont want to change the setup to nontoxic ammo.

Also looking at Bergara.

Bill

I’m honestly not poking fun at anyone but instead at everyone. We all have seen a lot of good groups and accurate guns but most of us have also seen guys with their treasured sub-MOA rifles than get performance anxiety and produce 4MOA groups when witnesses are present!
997B5256-5C34-4FA9-AA06-D6360711E2DD.jpeg

I've owned 7 different Brownings, 5 A-Bolts and 2 X-Bolts and every one has shot better than I can. I don't reload, so all with factory ammo. I bought several different brands and several different bullets for each and shot them until I found one that the rifle liked. Hornady ammo was consistent at producing acceptable accuracy for hunting purposes. When I discovered HSM ammo, I found a whole new level of accuracy. My current favorite is an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7MM Remington Magnum shooting HSM ammo with the 168 gr Berger Hunting VLD. That ammo has shot as well as custom reloads out of 3 different rifles all of different manufacture (2 not owned by me). I would recommend a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14X40 with a Wind Plex reticle, CDS and side focus. Optics Planet has them on sales right now for $599. Classic Firearms has X-Bolt Stainless Stalkers for $1,080. Rings and bases will run you $160. $1,770 + tax for a great shooting rifle. Some people will say you need a 50MM scope objective but I prefer the lower profile of a 40MM for hunting. Lighter and less prone to hang up on the oak brush & willows. I've never had a problem with the light gathering ability of a 40MM scope in low light. Best of luck on whatever you choose.

I grew up a 700 man. I own at least 40 rifles Several are 700s and not one of them would be the best shooter. They r the sexiest best feeling ones but the best shooter is a little howa 1500 in 243. I wanted to sell/trade this gun for a while but the more I shot it the more I was amazed. Factory fed fusion same hole 50 yds. 3/4 groups at 100. Then would be weatherby vanguard 257 close third and fourth would be savage and tc venture. Ugly as hell Tupperware on the savage 7mag but lights out shooter if u can stand the smash!! I hate Tupperware stocks but they serve a purpose. I also have a 220 swift m77 that shoots 1/2 “ With handloads but 2.5” with factory. She’s perty in walnut tho.

You have plenty of suggestions about brand. I would just add that I would watch for sales and try and pick up a gun for $800-$1000. Should be doable.

And don’t skimp on rings or scope! The mounting system and the scope you use are as important if not more than the rifle. That said, I have always used Leupold scopes in the $300-500 range and done real well.

But next: what caliber???? You can go with “new and exciting” or “tried and true”.
N&E: 6.5
T&T: 270

You did say you wanted a DEER rifle. There will never be a better deer rifle built than the 270. And the added bonus: plentiful and cheap ammo. My go to ammo on on every day deer hunt is still Remington corelokts. Less than$20/ box, accurate and deadly. Or you can get the latest flavor of the “best” ammo too. I shot Hornady superformance with solid copper bullets for my last mule deer hunt. If you get new and exciting, plan to spend more for factory ammo. And unless you plan on shooting deer at 600+ yards, and spend an enormous amount of time at the range, zero difference in accuracy

I just bought a Savage 120 ultralight in .28 nosler. I think I paid around $1,100 for it. I put a Nightforce NX8 on it, and within 10 shots was shooting out to 800 with it. I have a semi custom .300 rum, and I like this Savage way more!

I shoot s Christensen ridgeline in 28 that I hand load 175 eld-x for and shoots half minute, but that same gun shoots Hornady precision hunter 162 eld-x 3/4 moa. Obviously that gun is A little over budget, but if you could stretch some coin that's my vote.

I shoot s Christensen ridgeline in 28 that I hand load 175 eld-x for and shoots half minute, but that same gun shoots Hornady precision hunter 162 eld-x 3/4 moa. Obviously that gun is A little over budget, but if you could stretch some coin that's my vote.
How much more could you get one of these for?

Call me crazy but I have bought 2 one for myself and one for my son T/C compass in 6.5 creedmore threw on vortex scopes trigger spring kit and Boyd stock shooting Hornady 143gr eldx . I also shoot a tikka in 300wsm and love it. Had a Browning hell’s canyon speed in 26 Mosley and hated it could not get it to shoot and I reload tried everything and ended up selling it.
8350A96F-DA7D-45F1-8077-41FD1E5EC9FB.jpeg

I was going to buy a new gun just because of the advanced sales pitch of every maker. I have several but mainly use my 300 win in 700 rem,I had floated the barrel and added a timney trigger mostly for safety based on rem. lawsuits. this gun never shot that tight of a group, but it is light and smooth action. I had always reloaded my ammo, so I checked with gun werks for a bullet they said use a bergar 190 vld and slow the speed. Well at 2750 the groups aren't going to get closer no matter how much I spend on a new gun, the gun is a hair under 9 pounds with a mount for a hatch bi pod and a vx5hd 3x15 scope and is still accurate and over 1800fps at 800 yrds, so I am pretty happy with the gun and it will last a 1000 years and I wont need to shoot 800 yrds but it will.I still want to buy new guns but don't use all the ones I have . getting the performance that I am getting was not easy, but the capability of the gun was there.

If you can stretch the budget just a hair more, Sportsmans Warehouse has the Nosler M48 Liberty on sale in 28 Nosler caliber for $1,300. Kill anything in North America with a gun that has features typically found on custom guns.
+ 1 for the 28. Only downfall is the price of the lead. Near $5 a round.

The one you are lucky enough to get your hands on. I have a friend that has an old Sears 270 (Post 64 Winchester in reality) that will shoot 5 shots touching at 100 yards each and every day. I have another friend that bought a Savage 110 in 6.5 CM that he bought at a pawn shop. Its a heavy barrel and he shoots it at the 1000 yard range every Sunday and it groups with guns worth $5000 on the bench. Go figure.

My son bought a SUB MOA Weatherby Vanguard that is amazing out to yonder.
Cheap rifles aren't supposed to shoot that good.

Both my Brownings do well consistently. Here are five shot groups from two different X-Bolts.
Both are .280s set up to shoot 140 gr bullets but I loaded up some 160 gr bullets to go for an elk load. No scope adjustments made... I just wanted to see if the 160s would group as well as the 140s.

Xbolt 160 accubond accuracy pic.jpg

20200222_134906.jpg

Both my Brownings do well consistently. Here are five shot groups from two different X-Bolts.
Both are .280s set up to shoot 140 gr bullets but I loaded up some 160 gr bullets to go for an elk load. No scope adjustments made... I just wanted to see if the 160s would group as well as the 140s.
That looks great. My waiting period is over Thursday can’t wait to shoot it.

View attachment 9622

View attachment 9623

Both pics are of 160 gr accubonds. Two rifles, five shot groups. First five 160gr loads ever shot out of either rifle.
Actually, the faded out group in the lower target of one pic is an old group from the 140 gr accubonds.

Ruger American 30-06, Leupold VX-1 3-9 mounted with Warne rings. Rifle was bought unboxed off Gunbroker years ago and the whole unit looks functional, not ugly, but basic tool. It's .8 MOA at 100. I usually put 165-180 grain downrange preferably BT or cup and core. Dialed up 9x, VX-1 Leupold subtension between the crosshair to the solid line fits a deer at 225 yards so approximately elk at 450 yards. I sight 5" or 7" high at 100 yards which puts me on at 300 or 400 yards. This rifle has ALWAYS been Minute of Target (deer/elk) using this set up. Total outlay for this rig was $450.

I have a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag that I've never been able to get to shoot better than about 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Generally it groups right around 2".

My Kimber Montana in .300 WSM groups a little less than 1" with 165 gr bullets but it doesn't like 180 gr bullets at all.

Based on everything I have researched I recently bought a Christensen Arm Mesa in 7mm-08 for my son. We haven't found it's preferred ammo figured out yet, but with the cheapest stuff I could find on the shelf my 13 year old son has been shooting just over 1" groups. I'm expecting it to be a pretty good shooter once we figure out what it likes.

6.5 creedmor... savage 110 tactical... nightforce. NXS 5.5x22... little basterd MB...143 Hornady ELD-X factory ammo.

MOA out to 1200.

Straight out of the box accuracy, digest a wide variety of ammo, inexpensive price tag. IMO Savages are hard to beat. Have 4 of them, dirt cheap and shoot like Lasers.

I have a 30/06 HS Persision shooting Federal shells with 180 grams Nosler Partion bullets, I sent it out to have the scope mounted and sited In for those bullets 2 Bulls 3 Shots.

Joe

Just wanted to see what gun people think is most accurate out of the box, shooting over the counter bullets. Looking to get my first rifle for deer and just wondering where to begin.

Thanks
Go get a Winchester Model 70. They are right in line with you budget and all of them shoot well.

Shot my new Browning X bolt long range Hunter 6.5 Creedmore today. Break and sight in this is first 3 shot group Hornady precision 143 gr ELDX.

D7C670E2-2CDE-40AF-835A-9349D4C046DB.jpeg

B908452E-0B54-4194-8028-34A83C4CBA62.jpeg

How far out are you shooting? At 1,000 yards any gun will do. It's the scope and loads that give you accuracy. I know some of you who've spent 1,000's on your queens will disagree. Browning X, Savage, Tikka and the Winchester mentioned are all excellent guns. I like to think more in terms of caliber.

"Over the counter" bullets for the most part and with few exceptions are mostly sh*t. I am privileged to shoot with some anal long range shooters. I've learned most of what I am sharing from these guys out at the long range concrete benches at Boulder Gun Club.

They advised me to get a TC Compass ($300) in 6.5 Creed. I upgraded the trigger and mounted a Vortex Viper HST ($1200). These guys usually load Nosler BT in 143 or 123 gr. I have it sighted in at 200 yards getting under 2 inch groups. I'm not competing so that's damned good for me. I can easily hit a pie plate all day long at 400 and I can hear the ping at 800 yards. I would probably never shoot an animal past 450 anyway.

Save some money. Get the TC Compass, a good scope like a Vortex Viper or higher. Find someone to load for you or learn yourself. Learn long range shooting so you are comfortable under 500 yards. And, shoot a lot!

BTW... Vortex is guaranteed for life for any reason!

Curmudgeons please hold your cackles. ;)

W.a pawnshop Savage 110 and factory .243 ammo, my daughter shot a 3 shot group that we covered w.a penny.

Anything under 1.5" is fine.

The next day, she shot a doe w.it.

W.a pawnshop Savage 110 and factory .243 ammo, my daughter shot a 3 shot group that we covered w.a penny.

Anything under 1.5" is fine.

The next day, she shot a doe w.it.
Awesome. Not just the gun but the fact your daughter hunts! I bought a savage 110 in 7mm Mag. Still one of my favorite guns. I think I paid $240 for it with a crappy scope at Walmart in 1995. Put the scope on my kid's 10/22.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom