Out of box most accurate hunting rifle.

No sir.ree....Western CO (Whitewater).

I dont remember what I did w.the scope. It has a Redfield on it now....the optics arw way more important than the rifle.

My Savages have always been very impressive to me.

It's been many years now, maybe at least 26, since I had the conversation with Craig Boddington about accurate rifles other than the custom builds. At THAT TIME, he told me he considered the Savage 110 as the best out of the box.

It's been many years now, maybe at least 26, since I had the conversation with Craig Boddington about accurate rifles other than the custom builds. At THAT TIME, he told me he considered the Savage 110 as the best out of the box.

When I turned 12 (I'm now 42) my dad bought me my first deer rifle and it was a 110. I still have that gun today and it flat out shoots!

Depends on what you consider a factory rifle...
I’ll call it over the counter rifles
Mid tier
Bergara
Browning
Savage
Tikka/
Top Tier
Christensen
Seekins
Fierce

It’s a lot like trucks... some can be absolute gems or others can be turds. Just depends if they are built on early in the week or on Friday.
My C.A. Ridgeline .300 win must have been built on a Friday 1 hour before quitting time. So frustrated and disappointed in its accuracy. It also showed up with a bad ejector and i had to wait for parts. Took it to my local gunsmith to repair it as I didn’t have time to send it back to the factory. Have 250 shots through it in multiple loads. No load recipes have been good enough to settle for so far.

My C.A. Ridgeline .300 win must have been built on a Friday 1 hour before quitting time. So frustrated and disappointed in its accuracy. It also showed up with a bad ejector and i had to wait for parts. Took it to my local gunsmith to repair it as I didn’t have time to send it back to the factory. Have 250 shots through it in multiple loads. No load recipes have been good enough to settle for so far.
I would of sent it back to Christensen by now. From what I’ve seen about 1 out of every 3 are duds. The first thing I do with them is run premium factory ammo (Hornady precision hunter or match) for barrel break in pre load development. If they won’t achieve sub MOA with either one of those once the barrel has been broken in I don’t even mess with them. For example Ive been setting up two different 6.5prcs for friends. One is a CA ridgeline and the other is a savage 110 ultra light (proof barrel) The CA was a complete dud. Hasn’t shot anything close to what I would call acceptable accuracy with factory ammo or hand loads. It is currently being sent back. Where as the savage, rounds 5 through 10 out of it were one ragged hole with the Hornady match ammo with the 147eldm.

Got me a BSA rifle chambered in .303 Brit. Bought it from an old ad in the back of a National Rifleman magazine in the 80s for $110. I can poke it out the truck window and shoot wire off posts at 500 yards with my dial up open sights.

Got me a BSA rifle chambered in .303 Brit. Bought it from an old ad in the back of a National Rifleman magazine in the 80s for $110. I can poke it out the truck window and shoot wire off posts at 500 yards with my dial up open sights.
You fire your gun out of your truck window?

I got a new savage 110 ultralight this last year. It’s a dream to carry in the mountains and shoots extremely well. Plus a proof carbon barrel right in your price range. I am sold on mine

I got a new savage 110 ultralight this last year. It’s a dream to carry in the mountains and shoots extremely well. Plus a proof carbon barrel right in your price range. I am sold on mine
Most definitely a steal for a sub 1500 dollar rifle. Definitely one of my favorites as far as factory rifles go

I bought a CA a couple years ago that wasn’t able to shoot their guaranteed sub moa. I contacted them and sent it back. They tested it found it was not to their satisfaction so they spun a new barrel on it and tested it again and sent their test target back with it. Customer service was excellent I thought and I’m happy with how the gun shoots now.

I bought a CA a couple years ago that wasn’t able to shoot their guaranteed sub moa. I contacted them and sent it back. They tested it found it was not to their satisfaction so they spun a new barrel on it and tested it again and sent their test target back with it. Customer service was excellent I thought and I’m happy with how the gun shoots now.
The problem is is that you should have never had to send them back in the first place.

Yeah I agree you shouldn’t have to and it was frustrating burning through ammo that’s extremely tough to find but I just figured I’d say they were good about resolving the issue.

The problem is is that you should have never had to send them back in the first place.
I’ve had several Christensen rifles over the years and all of them have shot very well. Purchased 2 more this year and both are easily under 1/2 MOA. Not sure why they have some lemons, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Here’s pictures of groups from this years rifles.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’ve got a left hand Remington 700 bdl 30-06 that I bought in 1981. Sighted it in and took it out to shoot jack rabbits . Killed two with my first shot. Told Dad I might as well put it away, If I kept shooting it it would lower my average.?. Killed a truck load of deer and elk before I retired it.

I built a rifle with one of there barrels. It took a lot to get it to shoot but it finally did. I’m happy with the rifle for what it is but I will never buy one of their products again. And frankly turned me off to the carbon fiber thing. I’m back to steel

Bought a Tikka t3x compact for my son in 6.5 Creed. After bore sighting it, I started right at 100 yards with 143gr ELDX. I thought something was really wrong after my second shot, because it looked like it didn’t even hit paper on the second shot. After my third shot, which was dang near touching my first shot 1/4” MOA at the most, I realized I same holed my second shot. The thing just shoots!

Tc venture 6.5 creed. Elevation Turret on vx11 leuppy. Most accurate rifle to 600 yds I’ve ever fired. Dropped it off side of mountain in Colorado and currently waiting on bolt release from tc to fix the one that broke in half during the tumble

I have a browning x-bolt hells canyon speed in a 6.5 prc that shoots extremely well. Only complaint has been the trigger is a little heavier than I like but that has been resolved with a replacement spring which reduced the weight of pull by about 50%.

Call me crazy but I have bought 2 one for myself and one for my son T/C compass in 6.5 creedmore threw on vortex scopes trigger spring kit and Boyd stock shooting Hornady 143gr eldx . I also shoot a tikka in 300wsm and love it. Had a Browning hell’s canyon speed in 26 Mosley and hated it could not get it to shoot and I reload tried everything and ended up selling it. View attachment 9146
I’ve got a Thompson Center Venture with cheaper Nikon scope. It groups 110 grain Sierras at a 1/4 inch and 100 yards and is hammer out to 500 yards. It’s my coyote/truck gun / somebody needs a gun and it’s accounted for a pile is muleys the past 8 years. It just flat shoots, whether is was 1200.00 or 450.00.

I agree with anyone who states that getting an accurate rifle out of the box is a crapshoot. I have had a lot of bolt action rifles over the years. Finding the right one out of the box is just not easy. About 6 years ago, I purchased a new Sako 85 in .300 Winchester Magnum. It had a funky “rubber stock”. I mounted a Swarovski 3-12 scope on the rifle. This rifle is the most accurate I have ever owned. I shoot 178 grain ELDX bullets being pushed by 72 grains of 4831sc with a Winchester Magnum Primer. I use Nosler brass. I don’t spend a lot of time target shooting. I have killed every mule deer I have taken with one shot using this rifle. Shots have varied from 400 yards and down. Shooting at targets, I have shot 1” groups at 300 yards. At 100 yards the holes usually touch. If you get a good shooter, my advice is don’t sell it looking for something better. Just sayin...mh

I have a few expensive Remington 700 builds, but I needed a light weight rifle that could really take some abuse on and off a snowmobile hunting wolves through the winter, cheap and accurate. I settled for the Rugar American Predator the 6.5 creedmoor with the Hornady 143 ELDX, I really hate saying it for a Man-Bun Gun this little plastic piece of crap out shoots all my rifles. You should go buy one if you want your bullet holes all touching, all for whooping 425.00
Best bang for the buck

Bought my son a Tikka t3x in a 300 win mag for his high school graduation. Stuck a Leopold VX3 scope on it and put some Hornady sst's in it. 1st shot at 100 yards was 1" high of dead center. Best out of box gun I have ever seen. Now we own 3 of the same gun and have been in the red on the other 2 rifles within 3 shots out of the box.

I can't believe Savage is not mentioned more. I've had all kinds of rifles and the new Savage ultralight 6.5 PRC is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever seen! I have a few friends that either have the PRC or Creedmore and every one is a tack driver. Mine shoots the factory 143ELDX under 1\2 inch and I've shot Cutting Edge handloads into 3 shot one hole groups at both 100 and 200 yds.!

I can't believe Savage is not mentioned more. I've had all kinds of rifles and the new Savage ultralight 6.5 PRC is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever seen! I have a few friends that either have the PRC or Creedmore and every one is a tack driver. Mine shoots the factory 143ELDX under 1\2 inch and I've shot Cutting Edge handloads into 3 shot one hole groups at both 100 and 200 yds.!
Well, if it helps, I'll repeat my earlier reply... ;)

"It's been many years now, maybe at least 26, since I had the conversation with Craig Boddington about accurate rifles other than the custom builds. At THAT TIME, he told me he considered the Savage 110 as the best out of the box."

I'm going to strongly look at replacing my Weatherby accumark 7mm with the Savage 110 ultralight 6.5 PRC, now that they make it in left handed.

Never been Much of a Savage Fan!

I Know they are Way Better than they use to be though!

One of the Most Accurate Guns I've ever had is a Savage/Anschutz!

Made In West Germany Many Years Ago!

I Should'of Took Better Care of it!

I've owned (that I remember) 1 Browning, 1 Sako, 1 Tikka, many Remington, 1 Winchester, 1 Weatherby, 1 TC, many Savage, and several high dollar custom rifles. The ONLY ones that would consistantly shoot under 1 MOA were the Customs, the Sako and every... single... Savage. Just don't buy the cheap Savages. I suggest one with an accutrigger and either an accustock or a chassis.

Own a Tikka and the Browning X Bolt. Both shoot lights out. Browning has a muzzle break so it’s my preferred rifle. The Tikka shoots great but shoulder pain after a few shots, 300 win mag both rifles.

Me and several friends and relatives shoot Tikka T3s with great results. That being said, the best off the shelf rifle that I have ever owned was a Ruger M77 red pad in a 7mag from back in the 70s. Half moa with factory ammo. I eventually shot the barrel out of it and retired it to a safe queen.

Last edited:
Didn't see it mentioned though might have missed it, Sauer 100 is a great shooting rifle. Plenty of mentions for Tikka and Savage, good experience with both of those as well.

Some time back in 2020 sniper14 bought him a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and mounted a meopta scope on it.

For all my reading of the recommendations and comments, I never could locate where he said which rifle he purchased. Now that I’ve invested an hour reading the suggestions Im curious to know what he went with, which make and model of cartridge he likes in it and what MOA it shoots.

Asking for a friend.

And BobCat, I only scorched the paint on one truck hood.......... but it was worth it...... I’m sure. I can tell you this, blackpower do leave a large black calling card. It don’t buff out.?

Hey Lumpy?

You Gotta Tell Me Something about The Black Powder I Don't Know!:D

Some time back in 2020 sniper14 bought him a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and mounted a meopta scope on it.

For all my reading of the recommendations and comments, I never could locate where he said which rifle he purchased. Now that I’ve invested an hour reading the suggestions Im curious to know what he went with, which make and model of cartridge he likes in it and what MOA it shoots.

Asking for a friend.

And BobCat, I only scorched the paint on one truck hood.......... but it was worth it...... I’m sure. I can tell you this, blackpower do leave a large black calling card. It don’t buff out.?

A lot of guys like Tikka’s however I just didn’t like the feel. I highly recommend Bergara. I have an HMR Pro which is more of a target and Varmint rifle for me though and shoots 1/4”-3/8” consistently with factory ammo an sub 1/4” with handloads. Best group I’ve shot with that rifle is .110”. Just bought a Weatherby Vanguatd though and have just started load development. So far I like what I’m seeing.
ADADFC60-B819-4ACC-9F8F-D7F5EF44D392.jpeg

A lot of guys like Tikka’s however I just didn’t like the feel. I highly recommend Bergara. I have an HMR Pro which is more of a target and Varmint rifle for me though and shoots 1/4”-3/8” consistently with factory ammo an sub 1/4” with handloads. Best group I’ve shot with that rifle is .110”. Just bought a Weatherby Vanguatd though and have just started load development. So far I like what I’m seeing.
View attachment 65218
When the time is right give us an update on the vanguard. What model is it etc?

When the time is right give us an update on the vanguard. What model is it etc?
It’s the First Lite Cipher edition and in 6.5 PRC. I was a little concerned after getting this rifle as I’ve read on several other forums that guys are having problems with 6.5 and 300 PRC’s that reload once their brass gets 3 or 4 firings due to the chambers being too tight. There is a fix for this though so not the end of the world. After inspection of my chamber I found that mine was on the larger size and will not need to be opened up. This is at the .200” line .432” dimension. Looks like Weatherby may have been on top of this issue as I heard that all (obviously not though) factory rifles will have this problem, and even some customs unless the gunsmith spec’s out a custom reamer. Anyway, at this point I’m very happy with this rifle. Still have to work up a good charge weight and will wait until it gets a little warmer out. Currently I’m shooting 147 ELDMs With Reloder 26 and 210’s. Testing seating depth I loaded a middle of the road charge of 54.7gr. While looking for pressure starting at 55.0 gr. I did see what looked like a possible velocity node between 55.0 and 55.6 gr. Loaded up to 56.2 gr. and didn’t see pressure signs yet. Again, I’ll do more testing when it warms up as it was 14 degrees when I was shooting.

Last edited:
Around 1993 I bought one of the Ruger M77 aynthetic with the paddle style stock in .243. I shot the green and yellow box Remington for years and it’s extremely accurate. I still use it on occasion.

I've owned a pile of 'um over the last 40 years but if I really wanna kill something grave yard dead and want a gun that goes BANG everytime, I reach for my Browning A-bolt. I named it King David and it'll never leave my family.
256791656_295075809152982_2068952778123472213_n (2).jpg

I've Only Had One F'N Rifle I've Ever Hated or Threatened to Sell!

A Browning A-Bort That's Never Shot in the Same Vicinity Twice in it's Life!

Back in the early 90’s I got a reward for helping to catch a poacher. I used it to buy a n A Bolt in 25-06 and a Leupold 3x9. It shot 1/2 inch 5 shot groups all day long with my reloads. Between my kids and I we killed a bunch of deer elk and antelope with it . It’s been semi retired for several years now, but it’s one of my favorite guns.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom