Out of The Box Accuracy, Who Cares?

mtmuley

Long Time Member
See a lot of claims these days about "out of the box" accuracy. I guess to the casual shooter that feeds their rifles factory stuff it might make a difference. To me, as a handloader, not so much. I have, and have loaded for more than one factory rifle that didn't seem accurate "out of the box". But with the right bullet and powder combo really shined. I'm just not concerned with it too much. mtmuley

Most rifles that shoot good "out of the box" will shoot just about every load combo good.. Sometimes you just get one that you can't go wrong with, no matter what you feed it..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I have a couple that will shoot like that. Sometimes, I kinda enjoy taking a rifle that seems like it is a lemon and finding a load that will group well. mtmuley

Depends for me. Reloading is a fun challenge figuring out a rifle during the late winter or earily spring when I dont have much desire to be doing much else, however for me personally, I rather do practical shooting instead off of the bench during the summer or fall when the weather is nicier. So less time on the bench is fine by me too if a gun shoots well right out of the box.

Only accurate rifles are interesting, the right load can make a good rifle better but you can't polish a turd.

My experience is try a load with ballistic tips and if the rifle doesn't shoot make it someone elses rifle.

Stay thirsty my friends

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"

I think you stole that line from the Col. Mr Sixpack!!!

Its always great when you hit the magic combo. But, I've had a few that I could never quite get to work right. Rifles too.

Me. I have a $3k weatherby that still doesnt shoot where i point it. But my $700.00 Remingtons all shot great from day one. Guess which ones goes hunting? I do reload, but dont get as much range time as I would like. Out of the box accuracy is great.
Why would I want anything else?

Why would you not care? I guess I must be missing the point here. I have more custom guns than factory guns and I don't want to have to completely revamp a rifle to get it to shoot. I fully expect a custom gun to shoot well because that's what I pay for. It's a very pleasant surprise when you get a factory gun that shoots smoker groups without doing all the extras to it. I would think that the vast majority of guys buying rifles these days do care about out of box accuracy. JMO

It's always an adventure!!!

Really!! That makes no sense at all. To have a rifle that is accurate out of the box is important. I have had rifles that had to have loads worked up just to be accurate. That really stinks if the rifle is tempermental. Im not aware of anyone that would market a rifle as not accurate out of the box. JMHO and Ive shot and reloaded many rounds.

I could understand if your hobby is making a gun that won't shoot, shoot. And i can see how you'd get satisfaction out of that.

That said, I'd much rather buy a gun, have it shoot better than my expectations, then try to get just a little more out of it. I think when I needed to make that once in a lifetime shot, I would have more confidence thus my results would be better.

I gotta agree with AWB and others. Yes most often a rifle can be tuned to acceptable accuracy with the proper handloads but as you stated its the "right" bullet/powder combo. Whats dissapointing is when the rifle won't shoot the bullet of choice. I tend to choose a caliber and specific bullet combo for different reasons. Most often custom rifles can be and are throated for certain bullets. They will often shoot most any loads and bullets well though.
Also acceptable accuracy to some people may be considered a great group or a huge group by others. I also tend to like 300 yards and beyond as a real test to check a rifles acuracy. Once I find a decent 100 yard group I will test and tweak loads til 300 yards groups are to my liking.

Seems to me, every gun manufacturer out there claims to be the "best out of the box." So.... It really don't mean a damn thing. I guess that's my point. It's not that I don't realize a stock accurate rifle is a good thing and I don't appreciate that fact, I'm just kinda tired of the claims. mtmuley

I see your point mtmuley. I guess it's like anything else though. Sooner or later word of mouth is going to make or break you. You can make those claims all day long but proof is in the pudding.

It's always an adventure!!!

Generally, i don't buy new. I'm one of them guys that knows a deal when i see one and if i'm feeling flush at the moment, i want it and the price is right, i'll buy even if the owner claims that it's not very accurate.

Most, i say most of the long guns that i have bought would shoot way better than their previous owners could. I realize here, in these pages, is not a good example of what the average Joe out there can do on the bench. I myself make no claims as a shooter of gnat's asses but i do have my minimum requirements as to how well i can get the rifle to perform and rarely has that not come to be.

I like to be pleasantly surprised when a new, to me, rifle packs em in tight right off the get go but if the price is right and it's something that i've been looking for...i don't mind going thru a good extensive cleaning, tinkering through a triage list making sure everything is in order, trying a few groups out of several different factory labels, or even working up handloads especially for the likes of that particular weapon.

Unless i'm really strapped for time, getting the gun on a great deal and it being one that i've wanted is most important to me. I'll get er to shoot well most, i say, most of the time. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LOL

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Was it Foghorn leghorn? Loved that wise ol rooster as a kid, still do. And yes, he was in the back of my mind as i wrote out that post! lol

(talking to the young chicken hawk) "What, i say what am i...a chicken or a dog? You wanna chicken, why there's a chicken over there!" (pointing to the nemesis dog) :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom