Outdoor Life June 1942

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I was at an estate sale about 40 years ago and saw a stack of Outdoor Life magazines. I went through some and bought two for $.25 each. June 1942 and November 1942....WWII days. The one on the left says: "Attention Uncle Sam: 7,000,000 hunters are ready to form an army for home defense....." Back then people understood what the 2nd Amendment was all about.
P1010222.JPG

Don't post the rifle adds with prices eel, I'm not sure I could take it
That's interesting. I went through both magazines and didn't see any guns advertised for sale. A few air guns only. In the Classified Ads there must be 50 ads looking to buy guns though. I suspect the major gun manufactures had switched to making arms for the military in different capacities. Or the metal for making guns was in short supply. Maybe both. In 1942 the outcome of the war was in doubt, for sure.

Gen. Yamamoto advised the Japanese war council that they could never land a assault army on the U.S. mainland and win due to the citizens owning firearms and would defeat any invading army.
RELH
Sorry RELH, that’s a urban rumor that seems to grow over time. Japan never considered invading mainland US. The story seems to have origins in a personal letter from Yamamoto to a fellow admiral.

Sorry RELH, that’s a urban rumor that seems to grow over time. Japan never considered invading mainland US. The story seems to have origins in a personal letter from Yamamoto to a fellow admiral.
But in reality....our 2A was to educate and control OUR government....not another country’s......

Beanman, I have been hearing that concerning Yamamoto for over 20 years from different sources. I just searched it and it seems you are right about not citizens with firearms being the factor for the Japanese not conducting a land invasion.
More of a logistics problem for them.

RELH

Beanman, I have been hearing that concerning Yamamoto for over 20 years from different sources. I just searched it and it seems you are right about not citizens with firearms being the factor for the Japanese not conducting a land invasion.

RELH
Regardless, I think we would have still created a ruckus for any invaders.

RELH
Good story anyway.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom