Outerwear for Dall Hunt?

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
I was just flippin' through the new Cabelas catalog and started thinking about my sheep hunt next year in Alaska
What would the best rain gear be? I see their"Dry Plus" stuff,"Microtex" or "RainSuede" all looks pretty good.
What would you guys wear?

HH,

I bought some Browning Gortex raingear and I love it!! It's a bit more pricey than some of the other stuff but you can get tops and bottoms in a pouch that is about half the size of a football. Light and super durable. Breaths nice too. I bought it for sheep hunting but have found it priceless year round.

Make sure you get the Microtex from Cabela's in at least the shirt... the pants are awesome too. DO NOT go without it. Breaths,wicks, and drys out really, really quick. Get the outfitter camo. It's actually a perty nice looking shirt if your a redneck.

Harry, I havent went sheep hunting but I was on Kodiak for a week and wore the cabela's dry plus gear and never once got wet. It snowed, rained, hailed, blew just about every kind of nasty weather and I am convinced this dry plus stuff is great. It does dry out quick on the exterior and isnt too bulky. I got the un-insulated stuff and have used it even when its not wet out, it cuts the wind........... Allen Taylor......

Definitely Gore-Tex outerwear. I have used all kinds of different stuff on sheep hunts including some expensive crap and totally regretted it. Life can get really bad really fast out there as you well know, and when you're backpacking you can't put on what you don't have.

i like the mto-50. My buddy used on sheep hunt, and yukon moose hunt.The stuff is great.

harry, i have a friend who is an alaska guide. he said to hunt nekked and wear "gnat bait", whatever that is. or black fly attractant. either one will get the job done. at least that's what he told me to do. good luck on your hunt.

I am going on a dall sheep hunt in August and have looked at just about everything out there as far as rain gear. Cabela's, REI, Barneys of ANC., all have nice (expensive stuff) that they would like to sell you and they all claim that theirs is the driest, lightest going. Maybe so....
But, I have decided to use what I already have and it is not camo'd. I snow ski, backcountry hike and do just about everything else outdoors in the winter in a North face goretex shell jacket with a polarfleece zipup mock turtle neck and have never been wet or cold. It is light weight and the moose said they like the color pattern of black/blue. I use polarfleece long john u/w bottoms and a helly hansen guide pant that zips all the way from the ankle to the hip for easy on/off and cooling. They are black. Most of the animals are color blind anyways so it doesn't matter if you have camo or something you already own thats not. I guess you might impress the other hunters at base camp with your new MT050, etc, but other than that who cares. Good luck in your search.

I guide sheep hunters in alaska and i wear Hodgman 3/4 lenght rain coat, i hardly ever use it, its not the lightest thing, but it double as a small tent in emergency, keeps the wind out, i can carry water in it and i don't care if it gets dirty, i just drop in a pond.
You can keep your gor-tex for the tree stand and all that other fancy stuff. stick to plain waterproof outerwear. don't try to combine a overcoat with raingear. not made for that. helly hanson has a rain coat called impertec, probably the best for light weight water PROOF rainware.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom