Outfitter Recommendation w/ 15 points NR (Deer)

upmuley

I am looking to burn my points this year. I have 15 points for deer going into the draw. Because of work constraints (owning my own business) unguided is a no go due to limited to no time to scout. Because of limited time and the years put in, I understand a high quality hunt may will not be cheap and that is ok. What are some outfitters I should be looking at? I would be interested in rifle or muzzy. Thanks in advance!

You might want to check out "Comanche Wilderness Outfitters." I don't know much about them as I don't go on guided hunts, but I always heard they did pretty well with big Mule Deer, even huge Whitetails. Anyway good luck with your search that's a long time to wait. Hope you have a good hunt.

I'd find someone in the Eastern Plains. You'll be hunting private land with no other hunters to worry about! $ well spent if you ask me!

eastern plains is a great choice (as others have said) but 15 points is a lot to burn considering you could draw that area with 4 points (or less) or get a landowner voucher with a guide and save your points. if you go with Scott Limer (Commanche) you're waiting 3 years to hunt the plains.

With 15 points, you have options and lots of them. unit 44-3rd season private land? Have you contacted a hunt planner service like epic outdoors or huntin fool? they should be able to set you up and meet your expectations. Good luck

B.

If you can find private in 44 to hunt you would be set! Piney valley holds most of the private land. If you get permission to hunt a dinky private property you may be stuck hunting a tiny parcel of private since you can’t legally hunt public with this tag.

You could have a great shot at 180+ bucks on lightly hunted private land in the eastern plains. That’s pretty tough to find in any units in western colo. is it worth burning pts plus spending $ on a guided hunt in the eastern plains? If you are up there in age or physically unable to do a mountain hunt it may be worth it? I certainly wouldn’t rule out the eastern plains. Pretty easy hunt and some guides you can pretty much bet you’ll harvest a whopper!

I am guessing that if quality of bucks in western colo continues to nose dive that eastern plains pref pts will slowly but surely rise. Private land may be the only place where there are many mature bucks left in colo unless the cpw drops tag numbers. I doubt if that is going to happen.

There may be a bunch of upset colo hunters in a few years if colo returns to the days of poor quality forked horn bucks of the 1980’s from otc deer tags. The writing is definitely on the wall!

Bodhi what is the deal with unit 44-3d season (private land)?
I was just throwing out an idea/option. 44 3rd takes about 22pts to draw. With upmuley going guided and likely hunting on private land, 44 3rd on privates takes about 10. There are just so many options with 15 points.

Update. Called Epic and got some good info.

Called Lazy F Bar twice - never returned the call
Called, texted and emailed Sandy Hills Outiftters - no call back
Called J & D outfitters - no call back
Contacted Scott at Commanche Wilderness and he nicely explained he was full and not taking clients due his backlog of hunters. I told him I should have booked 4 years ago when it was a 4 year wait :) but I didn't want to wait so long. So...maybe just a point for this year. I have to say I have been on a number of hunts all over and have never seen 3/4s of the outfitters not call back.

Quality ranches on the Eastern Plains that manage for quality bucks is a great option. I'm sure a lot of outfitters are bombarded with hunters calls....especially on the Eastern Plains!

I'm sure it will take more years of backlogged hunters on well managed private land in the years to come as the quality of Western Colo public land bucks deteriorates. There may be a few Western Colo ranches where bucks summer and winter and don't cross public land that still produce a few great bucks. I'm sure outfitter prices that hunt private land will likely increase as demand increases.

Update. Called Epic and got some good info.

Called Lazy F Bar twice - never returned the call
Called, texted and emailed Sandy Hills Outiftters - no call back
Called J & D outfitters - no call back
Contacted Scott at Commanche Wilderness and he nicely explained he was full and not taking clients due his backlog of hunters. I told him I should have booked 4 years ago when it was a 4 year wait :) but I didn't want to wait so long. So...maybe just a point for this year. I have to say I have been on a number of hunts all over and have never seen 3/4s of the outfitters not call back.
Not the best time to try an outfitter... might wait until all the hunts are done then try contacting them. Book your hunt this fall, but don't plan on hunting for a few years. This way you've at least have your deposit in and when you do draw you'll be able to hunt...

I talked to all the outfitters you mentioned and a couple more back in December.
They are all booked up for the next 3 years with the season date changes.
Everyone wants to unload there points.
Several outfitters told me guys are you planning on using
20 plus points on 13-15 point units to get out.

I talked to all the outfitters you mentioned and a couple more back in December.
They are all booked up for the next 3 years with the season date changes.
Everyone wants to unload there points.
Several outfitters told me guys are you planning on using
20 plus points on 13-15 point units to get out.
I can appreciate that but how hard is it to call someone back.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom