Outfitters setting up dummy camps

bowedark

Has anyone running to camps that the outfitter set up and don’t use during the season so-called dummy camp myself I’ve seen this and some of the wilderness areas Colorado Idaho when was run off in National forest in Wyoming this is my place to camp area.

one area in specific that I’ve hunted several years Great point for glass from camp also nice spring no one ever stays there I just camp setup trying to command in their area

this area also holds some nice bulIs have found

It was a bit difficult understanding some of what you posted, but...

I wouldn't be too sure they are all "dummy camps." As you no doubt know, every outfitter in CO has a specific area to hunt, and over the long seasons there, conditions sometime change. When I guided there in the 1970s, we sometimes placed camps for two purposes -- as drop camps for DIY hunters or as spike camps in a different area that was too far to hunt from the main camp each day. We tried to set up the extra camps early, just like we did with our own main camp because we didn't want to be doing it during the season(s). Unless one spends every season in the area, it's tough to know if & when a camp might be used.

Last edited:
It was a bit difficult understanding some of what you posted, but...

I wouldn't be too sure they are all "dummy camps." As you no doubt know, every outfitter in CO has a specific area to hunt, and over the long seasons there, conditions sometime change. When I guided there in the 1970s, we sometimes placed camps for two purposes -- as drop camps for DIY hunters or as spike camps in a different area that was too far to hunt from the main camp each day. We tried to set up the extra camps early, just like we did with our own main camp because we didn't want to be doing it during the season(s). Unless one spends every season in the area, it's tough to know if & when a camp might be used.

And their permit specifies where they can set camps in a wilderness. They know an area may get hot when certain conditions are met and it may only be hot for a week as they're pressured to or thru a specific area.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom