Owhee Deer

Salmon

Good evening, I have been trying to gather any I can on this unit. So far it's been pretty slim. I am a NR 68yrs old and hoping that someone here might have some advice/info that they would be willing to share. If you do please PM me. Thanks in advance for any help....Tom

There are bucks that live on the private on the west border of the unit that move off of the private to bed. But most of them moved up into the unit to the west when I hunted it 15 years ago. They may not use it much now?

Other than that most of the deer we saw were in the canyon. It's HUGE! Bring big glass.

Not very dense with deer. Sorry I don't have much specific info as I haven't hunted it in 15 plus years and only hunted it once.

Went back last summer to see it again. Beautiful country. Needs to be seen to be believed.

I don't think there is a unit you can draw for the same points that would be any better hunting. So might as well be in beautiful country.

Lots of rattlesnakes.

There are big bucks killed in there. And there is country in there they could live there life unseen by hunters in the two weeks of the season.

I echo the good glass advice. Bring a spotting scope or some 12x Bino’s with a tripod/shooting stick that you can stabilize them on. Get to some places you can glass morning and evening (the heatwave distortion during the day can make it tough to glass the distances you may be looking, if you happen to get a very cool or cloudy day, use that whole day to glass for sure!) it may take a bit to find deer pockets and then a little more time to find some bucks but once you locate them it will be much more enjoyable and less frustrating than blindly stomping around through the whole unit.
You’ll want to look near water, tall sage, buck brush, pockets of juniper, bedding areas off of alfalfa fields, bedding areas around rim rocks (especially north facing and east facing) it really depends on where you are hunting in the unit what you should look for ( some areas in the unit have almost no sage or juniper; if you are near the river, water will be less in demand, etc)
Desert bucks are very cagey they will often find a pocket that they like and will stay there as long as they can and will just move no more than 500 yards from that central location until big rains, cold weather or the rut. Good luck!

I would take a boat. If you can launch it this year. Then look for tracks of larger deer on the lake edge. Then try to find them by hiking up draws and peeking over the ridges with good glass. Fish and glass

The lake was really low last summer and I can't imagine it got better. But I agree that wod be a cool way to hunt the unit!

Most big bucks don’t seem to drink at the lake. Although I think it can happen it’s not as common to find a big set of tracks by the reservoir. It’s hard to believe the bucks can find water anywhere else but they must.

Back
Top Bottom