Owyhee Deer tag

Buckjunkie

My son, son-in-law and father in law drew the Owyhee deer tag. If anyone has any advice, I would gladly trade for info for another western state.

Lots of country with low deer numbers and bad roads. I'd plan on taking ATV's and covering a lot of miles of road and a lot more with glass.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Just got back from the hunt. It was terrible. Been hunting out of state for 30+ years and this was top 3 worst deer hunts ever. We only saw one 4 point. Some days we didn't see any deer. Son shot a 2 point and son in law shot a spike for meat. My father in law ate his tag.

I have 21 deer points and now I have to find a way to burn them.

That sucks. I've seen some pics of some really good dead Owyhee bucks the last few days.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

That's a bummer. I've been hunting Owyhee for 20 years, bucks and birds. It's a huge unit. Not sure where you were hunting, but there are places in that unit that support less forms of life than Mars.

Sorry to hear you had a bad hunt! Its a big unit and it can be tough to find the deer pockets. Pretty similar story with Juniper, Steens, Whitehorse, Wagontire, most of the big desert units. There are not deer everywhere, even though there might be great habitat, seems like there are swaths with very few deer. That's just the the way deer work sometimes. It is just a lot more pronounced now than years ago because the deer populations are so low.

Back
Top Bottom