+P Ammo

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
I know it’s a higher pressure and shouldn’t be used every time you shoot. Is there a pistol that can take the constant high pressure and survive for a lifetime of about 40,000 rounds? I reload and have loaded up some hot rounds just like everyone, but I haven’t really studied what it does long term. I just inherited a model 60, 38 Special from the 70s that has only been fired maybe 10 times so it’s pretty new. I don’t think I will shoot +P ammo in it ever. I have been thinking about getting the Walther Q5 Steel Frame in 9mm and would expect it to take the abuse but maybe I’m wrong. So do any of you have experience in shooting too much hot stuff in an automatic or revolver? I’m not one of those that thinks I need the hot loads every time. I’m cool with the 900 FPS stuff, I just have been looking into this issue for a while and I’m curious to hear more.

The manuals show a fair increase in pressures over 38 spl. I'm not sure when the "cut-off" was for modern revolvers that would handle it, but you can figure it out if you dig. I got a bunch from someone and I went thru the exercise.

I agree that it's negligible in most cases, but better safe than sorry.

Bluehair is correct. Big jump in pressure for sure.

Straight from Hodgdon reloading:
158g Hornady XTP:

38sp +P

Hodgdon
700-X
.357"
1.455"
18,500 PSI

38sp:

Hodgdon
700-X
.357"
1.455"
13,000 PSI
15,900 PSI

+P ammo in your M-60 S&W will shoot that gun loose long before you reach that 40,000 rounds you mention. Timing and cylinder end shake are some of the first things to go when shooting too much +P in that revolver. Best bet is to use standard pressure ammo and only use the +P for possible self defense.
As for the 9mm, all steel semi auto will hold up longer then alloy frame guns for a steady diet of +P ammo. The European loaded 9mm ammo was loaded hotter then American made and may still be that way today. It would be considered a +P load by our standards.
I would use standard 9mm ammo for the majority of shooting and keep the +P for self defense. A lot really depends how many rounds you put though the gun in a years time on how long the gun will survive before you seen problems or accuracy falling off.
when I was shooting matches I would shoot 1,000 to 2,000 rounds a month just to keep in practice. I was using a custom built S&W M-19 and put over 20,000 rounds per year on that gun and it was still tight and accurate, but that gun was consuming soft cast lead wadcutters at 750 fps. If I had been shooting standard 357 mag. ammo, I doubt the gun would have held up for those 20,000 rounds without having to retime the cylinder and remove any endshake in the cylinder due to the excessive pressure level.
RELH

I know it’s a higher pressure and shouldn’t be used every time you shoot. Is there a pistol that can take the constant high pressure and survive for a lifetime of about 40,000 rounds? I reload and have loaded up some hot rounds just like everyone, but I haven’t really studied what it does long term. I just inherited a model 60, 38 Special from the 70s that has only been fired maybe 10 times so it’s pretty new. I don’t think I will shoot +P ammo in it ever. I have been thinking about getting the Walther Q5 Steel Frame in 9mm and would expect it to take the abuse but maybe I’m wrong. So do any of you have experience in shooting too much hot stuff in an automatic or revolver? I’m not one of those that thinks I need the hot loads every time. I’m cool with the 900 FPS stuff, I just have been looking into this issue for a while and I’m curious to hear more.
+P ammo is a hotter load you can feel the difference in recoil after you shoot a standard round.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom