P&Y Changes 65% Let-Off Rule

BOHNTR

Long Time Member
Here's the news release from their website:

Changes to Records Program - % Let-off Rule

In an effort to "resolve" a very hotly debated and divisive issue, the Pope and Young Club's Board of Directors has been developing a possible compromise solution to the ongoing debate over the Club's well-known 65% let-off limit on compound bows.

A solution was finally adopted by the Board and forwarded to the Club's Regular Members and Senior Members (voting members) for a vote on a change to the Club's By-laws. That vote concluded on Friday, November 14th, and the ballots have been tallied. By a vote of 294-148, the membership passed the motion.

THE CHANGE

The proposal called for a change to the Records Program, whereby the Club would begin accepting entries harvested by compound bows that have let-off greater than 65% (provided they are legal, in the state/province where used, AND meet the Club's remaining definition of a hunting bow). Any record book entry with a compound bow exceeding 65% in let-off will be listed with an asterisk (*) in the Records and in the record books.

The proposal also called for the production of a periodic, specialty book that would contain only animals harvested with "traditional" bows (recurve bows, longbows and self bows), in addition to them being listed in the all-time record books.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Effective January 1, 2004, the Club will begin accepting entries taken with compound bows that have let-off greater than 65%.

This change is retroactive, meaning that animals harvested in the past can now be submitted for possible acceptance into the Records.

The 65% value remains an important numerical "line," as any entry taken with a compound bow having percent let-off greater than that will be listed with an asterisk. The Club's definition of let-off remains the same and is an important consideration when accurately completing the entry materials. The Club's definition matches the A.M.O. standard method of measuring let-off. It differs from the now-popular advertising definition of let-off, referred to as "effective" let-off. This is a point all bowhunters need to be aware of---when completing the "Hunt Information Form" on the Fair Chase Affidavit, you need to list the A.M.O. standard let-off for animals taken with a compound bow.

A "traditional-only" record book is intended to be published in 2007, with subsequent editions published on a six-year cycle. Those entries will remain in the all-time record books, as has always been the case. The next all-time record book (which has been, and will continue to be, published on a six-year cycle) is due out in the spring of 2005. The deadline for that book, the 6th Edition of "Bowhunting Big Game Records of North America," is 12/31/04.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-03 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]Hey Roy,

I have a question from a novice (me); What is the big deal with the let-off percentage? How come it matters what the let-off is?

Is it because it is 'easier' to kill with a bow with a greater let-off (not saying it is, just speculating...)?

S.

:)

Stanley,

P&Y objections to higher let-offs is because the higher the let-off, the longer a person can hold a bow at full draw. If a bow was designed with a 100% let-off, a person could literally hold the bow at full draw forever. They feel that holding at full draw for a long period of time takes away from the tradition of bow-hunting and gives too much advantage to the hunter. Their problem in recent years is that ALL manufacturers are making bows with higher let-off because that is what the public wants and it brings in more women to the sport. I personally think that the 'advantage' to hunters by higher let-off was over-stated and I saw this coming a long time ago!

Stanley:

To answer you honestly, I really don't know. It has been noted, based on minutes from prior meetings regarding this topic, some members of the board felt they had to draw a line somewhere and picked 65%. Others in the bowhunting community speculate the influence of "traditional only" board members had a large sway in the voting and felt the line should be drawn at 65%.

With that said, I really do not feel that the board thinks it's "easier" with a higher percentage of let-off vs a lower percentage. I do feel the separate books documenting traditional & compound archery kills DOES give the opinion that compounds are "easier" than traditional equipment. Honestly, since I still hunt with both, I'd have to agree, it is more difficult with traditional equipment. I'm just not sure if separating these styles sends the right message.

BOHNTR )))------------>

Thanks for the post BOHNTR. That's a pleasant change of tact by the P&Y even though I shoot 65% on most of my bows.

Cheers,
Pete

Another reason they were reluctant to change was that they felt that they had to set limits on technology. Back when the 65% rule was adopted most bows were 50% or less. Think about it. Is a 100% letoff bow possible. If there is a market, it WILL happen. The archery industry passed P&Y up and it caused some people to turn away from P&Y. I hope that some of these people will look past it and these awsome animals will be recognized. I'm for the new rule. If it makes them happy to put an asterisk next to the entry, then let them. You still have to get close and make the shot, no matter what equipment you are using. To each his own. My 2 cents. Ed F

Good information guys. Thanks for the explanations/opinions.

Now how about this; Roy, I know from your posts that you have been bow hunting for many years, and from your success' you are obviously very skilled (as are many others on this board). I dabbled in archery as an adolescent growing-up, but never got serious about it. About 7 years ago, like many hunters I was looking to expand my opportunity to be in the field & decided to take-up archery hunting. I bought a 'beginner' type of compound bow (Browning) 7 started target shooting. I noticed two things immediately; 1) The compound was easier to shoot than the re-curve I shot with in high-school (for the reasons you have all stated). 2) The peep site made it MUCH easier to shoot accurately.

Does P&Y have any special dispensation for peep site vs. non-peep site? I guess that I would assume that the 'traditional' category would discount the use of peep sites as well? Also, I noticed that with the trigger releases, it was much easier for me to shoot than with fingers.

All interesting points for debate I guess.... I wonder where technology will ever stop...

Regards,
S.

:)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-03 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p]Stanley:

Man weren't those archery classes in our High School days great? Wish all schools still offered them.

Many people experience the same thing as you when they get back into archery. They discover shooting the compound is different than a recurve and many experience success quicker as a result. There's nothing wrong with shooting a peep, especially if you are more accurate and most of all, confident with it. Pope & Young does not "penalize" you for shooting an animal with a peep sight attahced to your bowstring.

I believe when they refer to a "traditonal" only book, they are referring to animals taken by means of a recurve and/or longbow and NOT a compound bow. Again, I can see the distinction, but I'm not sure separating bowhunters is the message we should be sending.

I agree with Ed (BOWUNTR), it's a good rule change that needed to be done to keep up with today's manufactured bows. To each his own, my compound still has 65% let-off, but I don't care if soemone else's has 80%. :)

BOHNTR )))----------->

I think that it is a good ruling! We are limited to 65% here in WA, but if it is legal to go with a higher let-off, why not? There are a lot of folks out there with shoulder problems and such that would be able to hunt if they were allowed to use a higher let-off bow. It will be nice to see some of those critters that were not allowed into the books because of let-off restrictions. Hell, a nice buck is just that, no matter what poundage bow it was shot with.
Eric
Bird-01.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

About time they got with the program. I still do not think I would enter anything into P & Y if I had the chance because they are so anal about that. I like the Safari Clubs program.
Michael

It's a good move for the P&Y Club. Think of all the new entries, memberships, trophy book sales, etc. It makes sense and should infuse the Club with a fresh group of members, growing the Club, which surely is a good thing.

I wonder if the guy who got the new South Dakota Muley record will re-mit his head from last year It was shot with a 80% letoff and they would take it into the recordbook, or might that is South Dakota rule too about the 65% letoff requirement. I'm sure there will be a few deer that was killed with the 80% letoff trying to make the book now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom