P&Y Club Announces New World Record Velvet Non-Typical Mule Deer (324 3/8")

BOHNTR

Long Time Member
P&Y World Record Link

DSC_0024.JPG

So which is the main beam where is the G4’s? It just doesn’t make any sense to me. Would I release an arrow or pull the trigger without a doubt. Not trying to take away from the hunter or the buck at all just don’t understand the scoring on this buck.

Not sure about cactus buck or not. The hunter stated the buck had full testicles of normal size.....but something going on with it for sure. There’s no scientific test to determine. Moot point anyways, as P&Y accepts stags.

As for ‘not seeing the score’, not sure what your experience with non-typical is......but they tend to add up quick! This buck has a typical 3x4 main-frame that nets 168+”......with 156” of abnormal points.

Last edited:
Not sure about cactus buck or not. The hunter stated the buck had full testicles of normal size.....but something going on with it for sure. There’s no scientific test to determine. Moot point anyways, as P&Y accepts stags.

As for ‘not seeing the score’, not sure what your experience with non-typical is......but they tend to add up quick! This buck has a typical 3x4 main-frame that nets 168+”......with 156” of abnormal points.
Thanks for the details. I didn’t know P&Y accepted stags.

I didn't realize pope and young accepted stags. When did they change their stance from B&C? That kind of gives an unfair advantage considering stags don't shed.

I didn't realize pope and young accepted stags. When did they change their stance from B&C? That kind of gives an unfair advantage considering stags don't shed.
The buck had all normal ‘plumbing fixtures’ when it was taken. Taxidermist also stated it appeared the buck had shed his antlers previously....although I’m not sure how that can be determined? As stated before, it’s a moot point, as P&Y has accepted them as velvet entries since they began accepting velvet over 40 years ago. They have never Not been accepted.

B&C does not accept velvet or ‘stags’......although they will tell you there’s no scientific test to determine when the animal became a stag and antlers were no longer shed.

The buck had all normal ‘plumbing fixtures’ when it was taken. Taxidermist also stated it appeared the buck had shed his antlers previously....although I’m not sure how that can be determined? As stated before, it’s a moot point, as P&Y has accepted them as velvet entries since they began accepting velvet over 40 years ago. They have never Not been accepted.

B&C does not accept velvet or ‘stags’......although they will tell you there’s no scientific test to determine when the animal became a stag and antlers were no longer shed.
Gotcha thanks for the explanation

I really can’t see how that buck scores so well congrats to hunter but I just don’t see it. Lucky enough I live in Reno maybe I’ll be able to see it in person come April.
You wouldn't have been able to see it in Reno as promised... the hunter didn't send it. Ed F

I have a question, and no I’m not trying to be a smart a——, but how tight do you have to pull a tape or wire when taking measurements for mass? I would think that it would be spongy like and have room for error??? Do they treat the velvet to make it hard like? I’m just curious, that’s all.

I have a question, and no I’m not trying to be a smart a——, but how tight do you have to pull a tape or wire when taking measurements for mass? I would think that it would be spongy like and have room for error??? Do they treat the velvet to make it hard like? I’m just curious, that’s all.
That’s actually a great question. The velvet is required to dry for 60 days after it is treated or preserved (injected or freeze dried). They are rarely ‘spongy’ when measured, as the blood is either removed or dried properly. Circumference measurements are measured exactly like hard antlers; pulled tight to the smallest location at each respective location.

Thanks for sharing BOHNTR.
I remember trying to figure out what was going on with that rack 4 or 5 years ago when it was killed. Very unique rack. Those nonetypical points add up fast.

Yea South West Colorado now has the WR typical (Burris Buck) as well the velvet WR.

More than a few monsters have been coming out of the 70’s the past few years…

I believe it was La Plata.
I don’t have access to the book, so can you verify that? I heard a different location when it was first killed.

I would be surprised if it came from down here. The Burris buck (killed within a few miles of my cabin) was a couple hundred years ago.

I don’t have access to the book, so can you verify that? I heard a different location when it was first killed.

I would be surprised if it came from down here. The Burris buck (killed within a few miles of my cabin) was a couple hundred years ago.
It’s La Plata

Where do you think the Burris buck was harvested? There is no “proven canyon” I’d be curious to hear. I’ve heard rumors of on Boggy in Beaver Canyon etc. this intrigues me!

Where do you think the Burris buck was harvested? There is no “proven canyon” I’d be curious to hear. I’ve heard rumors of on Boggy in Beaver Canyon etc. this intrigues me!
Agreed, who knows for sure. Counting Beaver, that makes 3 places it was rumored to be from. However, most of Boggy and some of Beaver are in Montezuma county if I’m not mistaken. I’m too lazy to look.

Agreed, who knows for sure. Counting Beaver, that makes 3 places it was rumored to be from. However, most of Boggy and some of Beaver are in Montezuma county if I’m not mistaken. I’m too lazy to look.
Most of beaver and all of Boggy are in Montezuma, correct. Gosh I’d love to know the truth!

As I understand it, this buck is the WR in the velvet category only. It does not compete with hard horned bucks. Correct?

I very much doubt that anyone here would shoot this buck if standing next to the buck in post #7. But no one would pass if he was alone.

As I understand it, this buck is the WR in the velvet category only. It does not compete with hard horned bucks. Correct?

I very much doubt that anyone here would shoot this buck if standing next to the buck in post #7. But no one would pass if he was alone.
If you read the link in the first post, it would answer your question.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom