Pack Frame Question

C

Cowboy

I am looking for a good quality pack frame that I can wear on day hunts to where its tough to get a horse. I want to lash my fanny pack on it for the usual stuff, but if I kill an elk I can comfortably bring a quarter out on it first trip. I have an old aluminum frame that I have used for years but it constantly hangs on brush and rattles and squeaks no matter how much lube or tape I use. I am thinking a tough plastic one piece frame that doesnt stick out past/above my shoulders is about right. Or maybe one that folds out and is strong.

Anybody got suggestions on where I can find one?

Look at Cabela's, usually can't go wrong there. The Alaskan I and II are good.

Cowboy, I bought a bull-pac for my upcoming moose hunt, and it is one solid piece of equipment. I am totally impressed with it. However, if you're looking for something lighter, I also looked at wilderness pack frames. These things are very light, and compact (also very inexpensive). I've heard pretty good things about them. Here's a website where they sell them.
http://www.archerywarehouse.com/wilderness.htm

I used to see an ad for a take-down frame that was supposed to fit in your fanny or day pack. If I remember right the product was sold in magazines and cost wasn't cheap. I took a quick look through some of my Bugles, but couldn't find the ads. Not much help for you, but maybe someone who reads this will be a better source and reports the name of the frame.

I'm purty happy with the Cabela's outfitter frame (I think that's the name of it, it's NOT the one with the gun rest sling, it's the basic frame). Carried a 3 x 3 dink muley out on it last year in one piece and the only thing creakin were my knees, back, ankles, brain (for not cutting it in 1/2).......Anyway, real happy with the little bugger.

I use Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter and I love it. There are lighter ones out there but I've put half a cow elk on it (bone in) and it held up and was as comfortable as I could imagine with that much weight..

I have used a Dwight Schuh pack for 10 years now and love it. It has held up great and has a plastic pack frame underneath. The fanny pack and main pack are made out of fleece and it is completely quiet. The packs unsnap easily if you just want the pack frame. It is not big enough for a week long trip but perfect for the day or two hike.I have packed out a whole boned out deer on it several times.I bought it from Cabela's but have not seen it in there for a while. I have seen it in a magazine recently but I don't remember where. You probably could contact him on the internet and find out where to buy them. I think they are made in Oregon.
Shane

I've got a Kelty pack I bought from Sportman's Warehouse. It has been a great pack. Packed out my deer last year in one piece. It carry's the load well. I have been happy with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I bought an Alaskan from Cabelas. I went to the store and saw it first hand and liked everything except it sticks up several inches above my shoulders, which makes it a net for branches when going through the timber. Since I am wearing it while hunting, that is a problem. My plan is to cut it down so that it barely sticks up above my shoulders. All I want is to lash a quarter on. With the fold down platform it will be easy to carry a heavy load. All the other connections are quiet so no more rattles and squeaks. Guess we'll see how it works in 119 days, 11 hours and 10 or so minutes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom