pack weights

joebuck

I was reading another thread and some young man stated that he carries an 80 pound pack when backpack hunting. Now I'm not saying that it is untrue but I do think it's unlikely. I've carried packs in excess of 80 Lbs. but only after bagging a critter. The biggest pack I ever hauled was 113 Lbs with a front shoulder and antlers of a moose. When sheep hunting we often carry packs in the 80-95 Lbs. range for a few days while hunting from camp to camp. My question to you backpack hunters; what is the biggest pack you've hauled and how far was it? Also what are some tricks you use to lighten the load on an extended pack in hunt?

I havent went on what I would call an extended pack hunt, but as to whoever said they carry an 80 lb pack, it was probably extreme exaggeration. My normal pack I carry has around 30 lbs max in it. This is just an overnighter type pack/ packframe but if you carry much more by yourself, you cant make it back out in one trip. Also, I challenge someone to come carry an 80 lb pack in Southern Arizona mountains and try and hunt at the same time. After about the fifth time falling into cholla or other cactuses, they would give up hunting..... Thanks, Allen......

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-02 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]You can probably guess who said they were carrying an 80 pounder, I think he has a reputation for "expanding on the truth". His name rhymes with dumbASS.

Now that I know who you are talking about, enough said. I would guess on an extended hunt way back in, you would carry somewhere around 60 pounds in per person. Base camp is set up etc... and your day pack would be around 20 lbs. The biggest issue will be water. If good water is close to where base camp will be, then your pack will weigh alot less. If you need to pack in water, your pack may push 80 lbs...... Allen.....

During extended packpack hunts (4-8 days) I do everything possible to keep it between 60-65 pounds. Once in the area and have camp set up I put the necessary hunting gear in a day pack that totals about 10 pounds. I've carried more than 80 pounds on many occasions but that was for one-way meat pack out trips.
J

That sounds more like it. On all the sheep hunts I have been on I never packed more than 63 pounds of camp, food and gear. When I carried that 113 pounder it was for 2 hours and 25 minutes on a horse trail and it just about killed me. I've heard of guys paking a couple hundred but I wonder if they ever actually weigh their packs or just estimate.

I have no doubt that someone could carry 80 pounds but that is a heck of a lot of gear. On an average week-long sheep hunt I'd take 55-60 pounds including rifle. That doesn't include many changes of underwear. It's not uncommon to cover 30-40 miles during this time.

I've had the good or bad fortune, depending on how you look at it, to backpack a lot of moose out of the mountains. I have weighed packs in excess of 150 pounds that we carried for six hours maximum. I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done. I know Dall sheep guides in the NWT that often carry 125-140 pound packs out after their client has shot a sheep.

All it takes is a good frame, a strong back and a weak mind.

To carry a 80 pound pack in one must be planning on getting skunked or planning on shooting the first 80 pound live-weight spike you see. If we're talking about the same dumbASS kid, I'd say he's planning on missing all the deer he sees. What do you suppose he's carring in that pack? We all know he doesn't pack a camera because they are too heavy. He must pack in his whole collection of Backstreet Boys CD's and Teen Magazines. He probably also brings his GameBoy with the latest Jackie Bushman Buckmaster's video game. That's how he sees all those big bucks that beat the World Record.

I would agree, 80 pounds is alot, even for someone in good shape. My pack usually weights around 50-55 pounds. Even that is to much, but stuff doesn't come lighter. My heviest items are my rifle and spotting scope/tripod. I try not to pack more than 1 quart of water, but pack a pur water pump. When I pack an animal out I'm hell bent for camp and have to concentrate on staying vertical with an overloaded pack.
Jer

I hate to disagree with you guys - but heavier weights can be packed and are packed for longer hunts. It truly depends on a guy's physical condition, build and desire. I am 5'9" and weigh around 220 (my buddies have compared me to a log/stump). While hunting in wilderness areas of Colorado during the '90s it was common for me to pack in packs weighing 80-90 lbs (including compound bow strapped on back)- 4-6 miles on uphill trails.

Difficult? Yes, but for a 9 day hunt by yourself - it's nice to have some tasty food and some protection from the elements. By the time I come out I have dropped around 20 pounds of food and have room for a boned out buck. One year I packed my camp and buck out 4 miles in one trip - pack weighed in around 125 pounds. Damn near killed me due to the fact I had just packed in that morning 4 a.m., shot my buck midday, boned him, packed to camp and packed out to truck at 10pm. Was pretty satisfying.

Last year I was fortunate enough to shoot a Bighorn ram - unfortunately my daughter had her first gymnastics meet that same night. Needless to say, I was short for time. After packing out the rear half and backstraps on the first load, I decided to go for the front half in the second load. When I say half - I mean ribs forward minus the backstraps - head/horns intact. Talk about a load!!! I have a Cabelas Alaskan II and the left shoulder strap broke at the buckle after I got it on my back. Since I was hunting alone, I decided to finish the load with the one shoulder strap. I know you're thinking it was a small ram - not really, he scores 166. I've got a great set of pictures of what the ram looked like strapped to my pack if someone can show me how to post them.

Notice I said I carried these loads in the 90's - well, I'm getting old enough to understand why you guys keep your packs under 60 pounds. I have been working with a buddy whose into extreme lightweight packing (25lbs for a week)and I'm getting my pack weight down. Learning that it might be easier to be a bit uncomfortable than too tired to do what I'd like for the whole hunt.

I'm a shorter guy, only five foot seven, but i'm a hunting guide here in alaska. i've had packs up to 175lbs according to the scale. those are only moose hindquarters and loose meat. obvioously this is not for more than three or four miles. one ten foot kodiak brown bear we estamted at around 200lbs, this was a bad deal. i'd carry it for several hundred yards and swap for a while, then take it again. Mt goat hunts with clients who cannot carry large loads, will put me and my packer at packing in weights about 70lbs or so. mostly food for the client and sleeping gear(tent and bags). The more you pack, the better shape your in and easier the loads get. I have a Barneys Frontier Gear (made in ak) frieghter frame and expiditon bag. 7600 cubic inches and its got a custom suspension system. the pack will make all the difference. if you do have a pack, tighten and loosen every buckle on the frame so you know what it does and how to use it to your advantage. With most back packs and frames, the more you spend the better it'll be.

AK Guide...shoot me an e-mail...where do you guide and for what. I'm looking into a caribou hunt in the next couple of year. I'd like to pick your brain...

Thanks,

Scott G.

Scott, G. i need an email address and i'll drop you a line. more than willing to have the ol' brain picked.

I do 4-5 day backpack trips for coues deer and my pack is in the range of 45-50 lbs. My weight comes from water mostly. I carry a 3pound tent, 3lb. sleeping bag, MRE's for food a therma rest mat and MSR stove the rest of my weight is binos tripod and odds and ends.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom