Packers near Hoback Junction WY

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I am likely to draw my moose tag and before I draw I would like an outfitter lined up to pack me and camp in and my moose out. I do not need a guide. I just want to be able to chase a moose most places without fear of a long pack out. The area I am heading into is EASY access but 5 or 6 miles of wide, worn trail. I have reached out to the forest service but I am looking for any ideas who to contact.

I do not want to rent horses or llamas. I want to spend all my time hunting & sleeping not caring for stock I know little about. I am not opposed to llamas but I have never used one or bend around them much. I also suspect delivery to a TH and renting will be at least as expensive as hiring a packer. I can easily get me and my gear in on foot.

Don,
I hunted up there with the folks at Spotted Horse Ranch many, many years ago. In fact, I finished off someone's wounded bull moose that was intent on running over the top of me. :mad:

I see from the website they still conduct hunts. That said, I'm not sure whether they run a packing service or not. Might be worth a call, tho.

Spotted Horse Ranch

12355 US 191
Jackson Hole, Wyoming 83001
Phone: 307-733-2097
800-528-2084
Fax: 307-733-3712

Click to enlarge:
1647979973925.png

Last edited:
Anyone that provides packing services has to be a licensed outfitter. If it’s on USFS land then they need a Forest Service permit to operate on that area.

This doesn’t apply if you rent horses and they bring them to the trail head.

This does possibly limit the number of options you will have to hire a packer.

I'd give yellowstone horse rentals a call and just have some horses on standby. Shoot your bull hang him In a tree and have him deliver a couple horses to the trailhead your closest to then walk them in there load it up and walk em out

Last edited:
And I I'm pretty certain I know what area you are talking about I used to guide in it there is still an outfitter camp at the main trailhead there. When I was guiding there we had a guy come into camp and pay to have his moose packed out but he was lucky we had a spare guide that day

Going to be hard to find an outfitter around here that has the time and resources for a drop camp hunt. They are a pain for an outfitter cause they don't make them much money and are usually a logistical pain with everything else they have going on. Outfitters rarely have an extra guide during season available to be ready to help you the day you need it. Your best bet is to locate the closest outfitter to your spot and hope they are willing, but most Outfitters i know turn away drop camp type hunts cause they just don't want to deal with them.. if you want to PM me the general area you plan to hunt, i can try to give you the best list of the Outfitters to at least try calling

FFS you can share the unit number. It’s a moose tag and you’re not going to get another in WY.

Based on the info you gave I would recommend

Youreaclown meat packers Their phone number is 307-Get-a-clue

SS! What? There is exactly one NR tag and a thousand guys with more points then me, and I may not draw this year. I am happy to share my unit number AFTER I draw. It seems like common sense to not share intel on a unit with ONE nonresident tag, and a bottom tier unit, one of the 3 easiest moose tags to draw in WY - and with the new 10% quota the thousand guys ahead of me are going to be looking for a moose tag they can draw. It only takes ONE to pick my unit and I do not get a tag.

I have 20 moose points and there are literally 3 units (4 moose tags total) that can be drawn with that number of points. The 1000 NR with more points are going to be looking to drop down and draw.

I was also sworn to secrecy by the resident I went in with in 2021. I am honoring my promise.

Thanks to the other guys who helped out.

The Forest Service has an outfitter coordinator, you might want to give them a call. They can tell you which outfitters have permits to operate in the area you are going to be hunting.

SS! What? There is exactly one NR tag and a thousand guys with more points then me, and I may not draw this year. I am happy to share my unit number AFTER I draw. It seems like common sense to not share intel on a unit with ONE nonresident tag, and a bottom tier unit, one of the 3 easiest moose tags to draw in WY - and with the new 10% quota the thousand guys ahead of me are going to be looking for a moose tag they can draw. It only takes ONE to pick my unit and I do not get a tag.

I have 20 moose points and there are literally 3 units (4 moose tags total) that can be drawn with that number of points. The 1000 NR with more points are going to be looking to drop down and draw.

I was also sworn to secrecy by the resident I went in with in 2021. I am honoring my promise.

Thanks to the other guys who helped out.
If there are thousands of guys with more points than you and there is only one tag well god damn it Donny why the hell do you think you're so special? And I quote you saying "I am likely to draw". Draw what? A moose on a piece of paper cuz boy you ain't going moose hunting in WY this year if thats the case.

This story doesn't add up. So you went in 2021 with a resident. How did you get his moose out? Doesn't he know anyone that can help a brother out?

I would worry about drawing a tag first. Only thing worse that someone calling your phone asking about a guided hunt is someone calling your phone asking to pack out an animal this fall that you may or may not have a tag for.....

Speaking from experience. Good lucky in the draw Donny! You're a lucky basty so I'm sure you'll beat the odds!

Wow, that went side ways pretty quick!! I guess you two have some kind of beef.
beef? well it sure as hell ain't going to be moose meat with less than max points.

DonV is a good dude. He will get it done...

beef? well it sure as hell ain't going to be moose meat with less than max points.

DonV is a good dude. He will get it done...
I agree, without max points I don’t see anyone drawing in WY. Don is a good dude he’s drawn many great tags, but this WY tag will be a tough one.

Something tells me that 90/10 split potentially might crush some dreams. I would probably get the tag in hand first and then start calling outfitters. As others said before, as a outfitter it can be a logistical pain to do what you’re wanting to do as far as freeing up the horses and personal to pack someone in and out if you are already dealing with all your guided hunters and drop camp hunters. However there might be someone out there with the time, resources or needing the money bad enough to do it.

Last edited:
I've watched several shows, mostly Newberg, where they rent llamas.

They don't seem to be that big of a pain, compared to horses.

Unless I'm missing something they seem fairly easy to care for

I've watched several shows, mostly Newberg, where they rent llamas.

They don't seem to be that big of a pain, compared to horses.

Unless I'm missing something they seem fairly easy to care for
Thing with llamas is you piss off about every horseman in the country lol not sure why but horses see llamas as the boogie man. A fair majority of the pack string wrecks I’ve been involved with have resulted into running in llamas on the trail ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Thing with llamas is you piss off about every horseman in the country lol not sure why but horses see llamas as the boogie man. A fair majority of the pack string wrecks I’ve been involved with have resulted into running in llamas on the trail ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Horses are xenophobic???

I am so glad I gave up my Wyo Nonresident moose points with the last increase in price. Good Luck to all the those still dreaming of getting one of these tags.

I have only had an issue one time ( I am the llama owner) with horses and llamas. It was a pretty good show of horsemanship when it all went down. I saw the horses coming and was 30 yards off the trail when they came past but it didn’t help too much.

This was VERY helpful. I had no idea horses hated llamas. I would pass by a lot of horses on the way in/out and it could be in tight quarters with no where to go quickly because of step terrain on both sides of the trail.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom