palisades B tag

vikes4r

Hello everyone,
I am a DAV and I saw that Idaho offers resident pricing as a non-resident on an elk tag so I pulled the trigger on a palisades B season elk tag. I am looking for general information on the area. I have ONX maps and it seems like the best bet is to hike into unit 67 and try to find some less pressured areas. I am relatively fit and don't mind a decent hike in, but would like to limit my distance to within a day of my truck (10 miles on modest terrain). I have done the 3+ day pack-out and would rather not have to do it again. Unfortunately, with COVID-19 and my work schedule I can't do a scouting trip. I have done a fair amount of elk hunting in Nevada and I am more than willing to trade information. I am looking for any suggestions on general areas to hunt or areas to avoid.

Ahhh, the notorious DAV excuse. If indeed you are truly a DAV, then I profusely thank you for your service to our country. But, unfortunately, I've seen too many scumbags come on these forums claiming to be service members and using the good name of our military and their selfless service to exploit sympathy and to try and get free information. I would caution anyone thinking about giving away free info to ask for confirmation on his DAV status rather than potentially helping out a scumbag. Another red flag for me is 3 posts total so I suspect he likely joined under another screenname to use this ploy.

I agree
I appreciate our veterans and the service they have put in.
However I have a hard time understanding how they can easily get an Idaho permit and then they come on here and ask for help and say they don’t mind hiking 10 miles a day and they’re in great shape. What kind of disability do they have? Must not be too disabled if they can put on a pack and hunt area elk for 10 miles a day.

I can't speak for the OP, but I was injured in the military and upon my honorable discharge they rated me as disabled. I get around pretty good and many disabled vets do as well. We have no say in whether we're rated disabled or not. Some choose to use it to their advantage every chance they get, some never use it at all.

I can't speak for the OP, but I was injured in the military and upon my honorable discharge they rated me as disabled. I get around pretty good and many disabled vets do as well. We have no say in whether we're rated disabled or not. Some choose to use it to their advantage every chance they get, some never use it at all.
Thanks for your explanation and thank you for your service. Happy memorial day weekend!

Hello everyone,
I am a DAV and I saw that Idaho offers resident pricing as a non-resident on an elk tag so I pulled the trigger on a palisades B season elk tag. I am looking for general information on the area. I have ONX maps and it seems like the best bet is to hike into unit 67 and try to find some less pressured areas. I am relatively fit and don't mind a decent hike in, but would like to limit my distance to within a day of my truck (10 miles on modest terrain). I have done the 3+ day pack-out and would rather not have to do it again. Unfortunately, with COVID-19 and my work schedule I can't do a scouting trip. I have done a fair amount of elk hunting in Nevada and I am more than willing to trade information. I am looking for any suggestions on general areas to hunt or areas to avoid.
If you kill an elk anywhere in unit 67 will probably be a two or three day pack out unless you have horses.

Guess I'd wonder what your expectations were, regarding the hunt. You can't get more than 5 miles from the next road or access, but you can get into some rough tough country that holds elk. Most getting the B tag wanted that big 6-pt bull, but it's crowded in mid-Oct and the success rate is only 6-8% on any bulls. You could also hunt cows and spikes from 8/30-9/14 in some beautiful country. Less pressure, higher success, closer to roads and trail heads. Can sit on water and be real lucky. Some good USFS areas, and a lot of no motors areas where the ATV's can't go.

There really isn't much "modest terrain" in 67 that isn't private land. It is very steep rugged country. If you kill an elk there, you will likely have to earn it not only by getting it on the ground but also the work that will require to pack it out. This will give you an opportunity to hunt but if you have never hunted OTC elk, it will be an eye opening experience on how many other hunters you will come across, even in places that take extreme physical effort. There is no secret spot that holds a bunch of elk. In the fall I've seen elk in 67 from right down on the Snake River to some of the highest peaks. You will have to get in there and hope to find places the hunting pressure has pushed them to. There really are not high densities of deer or elk in 67 but it is beautiful country to hike in. Good luck.

There really isn't much "modest terrain" in 67 that isn't private land. It is very steep rugged country. If you kill an elk there, you will likely have to earn it not only by getting it on the ground but also the work that will require to pack it out. This will give you an opportunity to hunt but if you have never hunted OTC elk, it will be an eye opening experience on how many other hunters you will come across, even in places that take extreme physical effort. There is no secret spot that holds a bunch of elk. In the fall I've seen elk in 67 from right down on the Snake River to some of the highest peaks. You will have to get in there and hope to find places the hunting pressure has pushed them to. There really are not high densities of deer or elk in 67 but it is beautiful country to hike in. Good luck.

I agree 100%, just not a unit that I would pick for an elk tag OTC or draw tag. So close to some really good elk hunting units but it’s just too rugged for a foot hunter. Deer numbers are super low also.

This is off topic but I think you should have to have X number posts ( 25 for example )before you can create a thread. I know a lot of sites do this, nothing against the OP but it would slow down the amount of people who draw a tag, ask for help and we never hear from them again.

I agree
I appreciate our veterans and the service they have put in.
However I have a hard time understanding how they can easily get an Idaho permit and then they come on here and ask for help and say they don’t mind hiking 10 miles a day and they’re in great shape. What kind of disability do they have? Must not be too disabled if they can put on a pack and hunt area elk for 10 miles a day.

I had a very different reply ready when I read this last night but decided to sleep on it and approach it differently. I won’t delve into the myriad of reasons that guys can get rated for, but you don’t have to be a quad amputee, have a massive TBI, or be wheel chair bound to be rated. I agree there are flaws in the system when it comes to being able to just say you’re a DAV on the internet and expect something in return (and honestly I wouldn’t even use that to ask a question on the internet because it comes with nothing but grief) but at the same time if someone is going to stoop low enough to fake DAV status to get the tag in the first place any info here isn’t gong to stop them from poaching their way to being successful.

I personally take issue with your last statement though, and I’m going to guess that you haven’t served a day in your life and are the “well I was gonna join but....” kind of person. A rated disability comes in many different forms from the VA and not all preclude a man from hiking 10 or 20 miles with a pack. Maybe he took a bullet to the gut and has a colostomy bag and no ability to love a woman anymore but his legs still work... Maybe he was the only survivor from an IED blast and lost his three closest friends in the blink of an eye and a cloud of dust... Maybe he killed a child that picked up his dads weapon because he just killed that man before he was killed himself... These are all true stories from my time in the service and not one of those guys is alive anymore because they either didn’t want to or could not live up to people like yourself wondering why they’re disabled if they can still function physically and dismissing them as lazy or liars.

That time in the woods hunting could be the only time the OP feels normal anymore since he got home from wherever he was, doing whatever he had to do to get home. Think on that before you make a blanket statement about someone’s service, and raise a glass to the men that never made it home or never left the war even when they were.

For Memorial Day,

Av

TFAvalanch
I’m sorry you feel that way.
Seems like you have a lot of anger.
If you carefully read my post again you will see that I was just asking a question. Was not intending to insult anyone.
I also gave him my honest opinions to the question he asked.
We get that a lot here on this Idaho forum where guys come on and play the DAV card and then go on to say what great shape they are in.
At that time I was not aware of the rating.
Thanks to D6native for explaining that to me he seems like a pretty good guy.

What kind of disability do they have? Must not be too disabled if they can put on a pack and hunt area elk for 10 miles a day.

Nah dude, I let my anger go a long time ago. Its careless statements like this that I take issue with. To be honest, if you didn't serve what makes you think you deserve to even ask a question like that?

My son got hung up in some razor wire while in Iraq. That plus other stuff over there leaves him with a lot of struggles. He’s slowly starting to get better. Oh and he could hike 10 miles no problem. God bless the men and women who serve and who have served our country.

I guess I assumed that the word disabled meant a physical condition that would prevent a person from doing certain activities such as hunting in a manner of one that was not disabled. Therefore allowing such a person that was disabled to receive special treatment such as reduced license/tag fees and more hunting opportunity.
my mistake sorry.
For what it’s worth I think all veterans should receive special treatment whether they are disabled or not.

And no I did not serve I fell into that age group where there was no mandatory draft and I had to get a steady job at age 15 to help support my family.

I now have a better understanding of what the veterans disabled rating is.
I’m sure there is a lot I still don’t know about it so I would like to ask another question and please don’t think I’m intending to be insulting to anyone I’m just curious. Are there different scales on the rating like for how seriously a veteran was injured?
Or do I not deserve to ask that question either?

Thanks to all that have served and are still serving I sincerely mean that.

There are different ratings, and there is an extremely complicated calculation table and opinions of VA doctors that decide your rating. I will summarize it to save you the google search.

Soldier A injures his right knee when patrolling the mountains of Afghanistan and has his eardrums blown out by a close quarter ambush. He returns and has surgery to fix his knee, and is service connected (this is the key defining factor and means it can be proven to have happened in military service).

Soldier A is rated at 20 per cent for his knee and 10 for his hearing loss. When calculating his disability the formula is as follows)

100 per cent ableinitial 20 per cent rating (knee)= 80% able

10 per cent (hearing) of 80 is 8, 20 plus 8 is 28%

Soldier A’s combined rating is 28, the VA uses increments of ten to assign a benefits scale so they will round up or down to pay but keep his actual rating when adding or subtracting other issues.

This system is used to prevent men from attaining higher levels and being paid more. For instance a 90 per cent rating and a 40 percent rating equal 94, and will be paid at the 90 per cent.

Av

There are different ratings, and there is an extremely complicated calculation table and opinions of VA doctors that decide your rating. I will summarize it to save you the google search.

Soldier A injures his right knee when patrolling the mountains of Afghanistan and has his eardrums blown out by a close quarter ambush. He returns and has surgery to fix his knee, and is service connected (this is the key defining factor and means it can be proven to have happened in military service).

Soldier A is rated at 20 per cent for his knee and 10 for his hearing loss. When calculating his disability the formula is as follows)

100 per cent ableinitial 20 per cent rating (knee)= 80% able

10 per cent (hearing) of 80 is 8, 20 plus 8 is 28%

Soldier A’s combined rating is 28, the VA uses increments of ten to assign a benefits scale so they will round up or down to pay but keep his actual rating when adding or subtracting other issues.

This system is used to prevent men from attaining higher levels and being paid more. For instance a 90 per cent rating and a 40 percent rating equal 94, and will be paid at the 90 per cent.

Av
Thanks Av for that explanation.
This is helping me get a better understanding of the Idaho Game Department DAV program.

A couple years ago a guy came on here that had received unit 70 Bull Moose tag through the Idaho Fish and Game DAV program.
That hunt is one of the most coveted and hard to draw in the state.
Way much more than a Palisades B Elk Tag.
Do you know if IDFG awards different quality levels (so to speak) of tags based on a Veteran’s disabled rating?
Thanks again

I understand buckhorn's point and I will concede that "Disabilities" for veterans are much different than those for everyday citizens. I can imagine being affected by PTSD or other ailments while still being able to hike, hunt, etc. I think his point, and mine as well, applies to the losers driving around in lifted pickups who are out hunting the backcountry and have Handicapped plates because, somehow, they can't park in a regular spot. They're lazy, entitled POS's. Disabled placards are abused and shame on the physicians who issue them to the losers who request them out of pure laziness.

I don’t think people are abusing the DAV system to get cheap tags, as far as I know one has to submit paperwork proving their rating to IDFG, but man everybody coming from out of state comes on here and either “their kid” has the tag or they are a “disabled veteran” looking for info, people never just come out and ask and I think sometimes, people would rather somebody just do that rather than try to explain why we should help. I think that’s where this post really went off the rails. Unfortunately I have no info on the palisades elk zone, otherwise I would share.

IMO, if ya served so we can enjoy are freedoms such as hunting you deserve a lot more than cheap tags, def under paid and over worked. **** far as I’m concerned should get every benefit available weather DAV or not!! Thanks for your and all others service!!

Yes, these are not the five free tags awarded to deserving DAVs who are sponsored by organization and submitted for consideration. The discounted cost DAV tags require a copy of your rating letter, and it has to be at least 40%. I agree they deserve no less.

I think if they sold him a DAV license, he’s proved it to my satisfaction. From IDFG website:
“ Hunting - Disabled American Veteran (DAV)
Must present a letter from the Veterans Affairs office showing a percentage of disability of at least 40% disability. Includes 3-day fishing.”

I have no problem with disable vets getting discounted prices for tags. Even giving out a handful of DAV controlled tags doesn't bother me. There are bigger problems out there with tag distribution. I'm just thankful that Idaho doesn't have a messed up system like Utah for "landowner tags" and "conservation tags".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom