Panda gone

larrbo

Very Active Member
Just read this online this morning:

The Red Sox didn't rest on the news of signing Haney Ramirez. They're reportedly addiing third baseman Pablo Sandoval as well.

The Red Sox have signed free agent third baseman Pablo Sandoval to a five-year contract, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The deal is believed to be worth about $100 million. Sandoval's agent denied the report's accuracy, Alex Speier of WEEI in Boston reports.

Boston was linked to Sandoval dating back to this summer, so the agreement doesn't come as a huge surprise. GM Ben Cherington identified adding a left-handed bat as one of the club's top priorities this offseason and the addition of Sandoval should help the Red Sox offense recover in 2015.

Sandoval is a big upgrade for a Boston team that struggled offensively en route to a last-place finish in 2014. A year after leading all of baseball in runs, the Red Sox scored the fourth-fewest runs in the AL, due in part to a lack of dependable options at third base. Will Middlebrooks struggled against big-league pitching for the second straight year, and Boston had no one else to fill the gap.

The 28-year-old Sandoval comes with his fair share of risks, however. He batted .279/.324/.415 this past season, seeing his OPS+ decline for the third straight year. Sandoval did chip in with 45 extra-base hits, including 16 home runs, but both his on-base and slugging percentages approached career-low marks.

In addition, Sandoval's ongoing weight issues make him an even riskier investment. With the Panda set to turn 29 next August, how his skill set will age (as much defensively as at the plate) remains an open question.

Regardless, Sandoval will give Boston a boost in the short-term. Fenway Park should be a good fit and is far friendlier to hitters than AT&T Park, which Sandoval has called home for seven years.

Even with his recent decline in performance, however, the Venezuelan native remains an above-average hitter, and someone whose performance has been nothing short of spectacular on the big stage of October. A switch hitter, Sandoval is far better from the left side of the plate, having hit .304/.357/.493 against righties and .270/.317/.391 against lefties throughout his career.

Sandoval is a good fit for the Red Sox, and while the end of his contract might not be pretty, Boston gets an immediate upgrade at a position that has been a problem spot of late.

I think it's a move Panda will regret. Going from a WS team to a last place team? I think he will find out that he needed the Giants more than the Giants needed him.

He put up some great numbers in the playoffs, but not so good during the regular season. If you remember, Bochy never played him in the 2010 post season.

Some lucky 3rd baseman will take his place and we'll make a champion out of him! No problem.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

+1 Steve! I think it goes against popular opinion but i believe the Giants dodged a bullet on this deal.

The Giants are a great organization at filling in the blanks. Pablo had a good run while he was here but he also was hurt a lot and went thru some terrible long cold stretches. In his favor, his defense really picked up this past year and he seemed to keep his head in a game better.

Thanks Panda, now pack yer $hit and get! :) I guess we receive a high draft pick being we made Sandoval a qualifying offer.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

TAKE IT EASY FELLAS, THE REDSOX ALSO DID YOU A FAVOR IN SIGNING H. RAMIREZ A DODGER FOE TO A BOSTON CONTRACT AS WELL. IT WILL ALL WORK OUT, I THINK BOSTON MIGHT GO FROM LAST PLACE TO WORLD SERIES CHAMPS AGAIN.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUST NEED ONE MORE PITCHER. ( THE REDSOX ARE CHATTING WITH MADBUM AS WE SPEAK).....................YD.

Just the fact that Pablo jumped ship from the Giants for darn near the same money offered, should tell us all we need to know about Panda.

Panda has never been Coachable. He talks one way but then does what he wants to do and is prone to making stupid mistakes.

In truth, i wish Ramirez was still with the Dodgers. A streaky hitter, getting older, with terrible range and questionable skills even playing as a shortstop. We knew that going in. Boston might stick him out in the outfield where he might like it and do well but Ramirez too, likes to do only what he wants to do and i see him as a potential cancer for young guys to learn by example from.

I do wish Pablo well...but, seeee ya!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The Giant's don't really have a player ready in the organization to step in at 3rd base. Matt Duffy is a shortstop that also played a little second base this season but doesn't have much power. Mitch Delfino played single A at San Jose this season and had decent stats hitting around .289 and 13 HR, but I don't think he is ready to come up. That leave someone like Chase Headley or another free agent...not many third basemen out there.

For a hundred million.... he made right choice. .
big lost for Giant's if it's true!!
I haven't heard anything but who knows?
I would take their drift choice we get and trade
for another ace..along with the cash we would have
to shelled out to keep him..
Jester

More power to him to make his own choice. Boston is a great baseball town with a great park and fans.

But when he's batting .245 on May 12th and weighs 265 they'll boo the sh_t out of him and call him a fat bum.

If he'd have stayed, the fans would give him another 2 months to get his swing going and root him on. Boston will be ruthless.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-14 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]jester and Larrbo, i agree with what both you guys are saying.

EDIT: CHW, you too! +1

Still, it looks like the Giants will probably be playing ball next year. I'd try out for the job but there's that somebody out there tailor made to be, the Past, the Reigning, and the Future, World Champion San Francisco Giant's, new 3rd Baseman,.. and it's not me. Starting pay about $500K season, d.o.e.

Buster at Third? Maybe? i been thinking on just that for at least a couple years now. I wouldn't know until i seem him doing it.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]The Giants didn't have anybody to step right in at 2nd base this year either. Panik did OK:)

I would have been embarrassed for the Giants if they had paid Pablo more than Pence.

Does Dan Uggla get a WS ring?:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

After reading several articles on the Panda leaving SF to Boston for the same money tells me that he expects to be the DH in a couple of years and weight won't be as big an issue.

I truly believe the Giant's will have a player step and contribute at 3rd base next season. Like Sage I have asked about Posey, but it sounds like that's not in their plans.

Chase Headley is a interesting player to me. A couple years ago, he was one of the most feared 3rd baseman in the game. 2012 he hit 31 HR's and 115 Rbi's, a career year but, he hasn't played that well, anywhere near that well, since then. Our park might not help his numbers either but i once had high hopes that Headley would be a Giant if the Panda were to take his weight issues, prolonged slumps, and injuries elsewhere.

Eel, i too am glad we didn't pay him more than Pence and really believe that the Giants dodged a bullet this time! I may eat those words but like Larrbo said, somebody IS going to step up.

I always said, "i don't wanna be with a gal that don't really want to be with me! Get on down the road girl"

Maybe jester has it right on this one, take the high draft pick from Boston and the money they were going to pay Pablo, and try to get a solid #2 type Pitcher.

Joey

We need Lester because I worry about Cain...period.
we will find a qty 3rd baseman..
why not try Morse at third he was an ok short stop?
Jester

Yeah, i agree with you. It's not just Cain i'm concerned about with our pitching. I actually think Cain could be a comeback player of the year guy, hope so, but no doubt, we could use another guy who can consistently keep our guys in the game.

I don't know much at all about Lester. He might be a little too high profile for the Giants brass to pull the string on. I think the memories of the Zito contract are still fresh and recently, not often do they sign big money away to other than home grown talent.

I do believe our biggest need is for a good Pitcher! If we get one or not, remains to be seen.

Another guy? Adam Duvall played 52 games at 3B as a post season All-Star for AAA Fresno this year. His natural fielding position is First base but he spent near as many games at 3rd last season. His 3B fielding numbers were not very good. Maybe why his name has not been talked of very much.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]The Cubs reportedly extend an 6 year offer of 135
Millions to him...(Lester).
they could have him ...to me he's is a 15,000,000 a year pitcher.(4yrs max he's 31 yrs old).
What's Bum going to get as a free agent? 240 million for 6 years ..
Where does it end?
jester

LOOK FOR LESTER TO BE BACK IN A REDSOX UNIFORM WITHIN 7-8 DAYS, BOSTON MIGHT BE WHERE HIS HEART IS. COLE HAMMELS MIGHT BE A STRONG TRADE CARD AS WELL...................YD.

Sox blew their wad on Sandoval..
Cubs would be a good spot for him and money can buy you love!
Jest err

I hated to see him go BUT IMO he did what was best for him and in the long run the Giants. I think that with his weight issue as he grows older it will be harder to keep it off and sooner or later he will start to break down physically. Then the Giants will still be on the hook for all those big dollars. At least in Boston or any other American League team they can hide him at 1st base for awhile or just let him DH. His has more going for him long term in the American League IMO.

))))------->

:)

Sad to see him go.

That said, Chase Headley is the direction I hope they go.

Pitching needs attention too. Behind MadBum, what do we really have?

Timmy screwed up a couple of years ago when the Giants wanted to buy his last Arbitration year and sign him long term. Thanks Timmy.

This isn't good! Until a few weeks ago when i had my TV provider, DISH, shut off altogether, the main reason i payed their high cost was to watch the Giants games on Comcast Sports net thru DISH network. Now, Dish is talking not picking up Comcast and leaving Giants fans out in the cold.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/giants-statement-dish-potentially-dropping-csn

Did you know that the LA Dodgers just went thru something very similar in LA? Many Dodgers fans were not able to watch Dodgers games on TV and of those, most are/were very pissed off because of it. I can only hope that doesn't happen up here.

Joey

Well I don't know how the economics of baseball work but I'm glad they didn't get Pablo. If they could have paid a little more per year for a shorter term like 2-3 years but at a million or two more per I would have been in for that just to keep him motivated.

Now I have been clammoring for Posey at either 3rd or LF for a long time. My thought is give Posey 2 starters in the rotation the others to Susac. Susac in my opinion has earned some time and is formidable. With panda gone posey plays 3rd 2-3 games per rotation and this gives guys like Duffy a semi regular game or two to keep from going stale on the bench. Those young guys need playing time.

The one thing that was kind of a blessing in disguise this year was Belt getting hurt. I honestly felt they should have taken that opportunity to rest Posey some and give him more games at first. Well they didn't and found Ishikawa was a necessity but I do think there was some fatigue for posey.

Another thought I don't feel is the answer at third but is being considered is Scutaro still has a year left. He played there when he first came until panda was healthy. I also think Duvall has upside but like other youngsters consistent time is key in my opinion.

I doubt we will see Morse back but you never know.

Who's the left fielder for 2015? Can pagan put his ego aside and move to left and allow one of the younger better defenders in?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom