Panguich lake doe hunt...

just_a_hunter

Has anybody ever hunted this?

Is there a good amount of public to hunt?

I have enough non-res P.P. I should draw but I have been on more then one UDWR sucker hunt like the Lucern point doe Antelope hunt.

Thanks,

Todd

i think you should get the tag and not use it. Most of us on this site are against shooting any does in utah while the herd is down.

Thank you for sharing your oppinion but I respectfully don't care what you think I should do. I'm not going to pay a non res doe deer fee to protect a doe that is one way or another going to die. If the DWR wants the deer dead, hunters or henchmen are going to kill them. I myself prefer the hunters do.

Now, back on subject, Yes or no answer, Is there public land around there to hunt?

Thank you and happy hunting to all,

Todd

Yes, there's some real good doe hunting above Brian Head. Just cross the cattle guard and you'll be in doe haven. I think the property's called Cedar Breaks or some thing like that. Good luck

>Yes, there's some real good doe
>hunting above Brian Head. Just
>cross the cattle guard and
>you'll be in doe haven.
>I think the property's called
>Cedar Breaks or some thing
>like that. Good luck

Thank you very much. I will get a BLM map on order since it sounds like there is public land around and study it harder from here on out. I'm still in my season planning stages like everyone else and really appreciate the P.M.s and the helpfull posts.

Todd

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-12 AT 01:14AM (MST)[p]Though I haven't hunted these particular hunts (there's two of them.), I have hunted the area several times during the rifle hunt for bucks and have been on that unit a lot during the winter and there are plenty of does (and bucks) there from late October to March. In fact, I was just part of the March 31st range ride to observe and discuss the merits of having these hunts and we saw over 100 deer in the junipers in the middle of the day.

The reason for these hunts, habitat degradation, is obvious to anyone who sees the area, so don't let anyone discourage you from hunting these does. In fact, per the UDWR and the BLM, the 150 permits are only about half the number of deer that should be removed in order for the habitat to even have a chance of recovering, and it's just the politically correct number they thought they could get through the system. Most of the responses you'll get on this forum will be politically correct, but not biologically correct. You've already gotten those!

The area, in fact, is a narrow strip of land about 25 miles long and a mile or less wide on the east side of I-15 from Cedar City to State Road 20 (The eastern boundary is an elevation line in the foothills). It does contain a lot of BLM land, but much of the private land is also accessable because many of the ranchers and farmers there also want the deer gone. You'll have no trouble finding deer!

Good luck on the draw. I plan on applying myself.

+ 100 you wouldn't have a hard time finding deer. Try and shoot a old fat doe, pass on those young doe's that have a few years left in them. A dry doe will better eating. Good Luck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

A Non-Res Doe Hunt?

You gotta be shitttinn me?

SFW is gonna step in and Transplant all the Does that the DWR & Farm Bureau want shot!

So don't get wrapped up in another SUCKER hunt!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

Well if you feel you need to contribute shooting a doe and thinning the deer herd then yes there is abundant public land. The doe haven the other guy was refering (cedar breaks) is a national monument and no hunting allowed, he was just razzin ya. You should have absolutely no problem filling your tag. if its after november hunt low before nov hunt mid to high.

>A Non-Res Doe Hunt?
>
>You gotta be shitttinn me?
>
>SFW is gonna step in and
>Transplant all the Does that
>the DWR & Farm Bureau
>want shot!
>
>So don't get wrapped up in
>another SUCKER hunt!:D
>
>
>[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
>
>If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM
>TO ME!

A non-res is allowed to hunt antlerless the same as a resident.

No need to use expletives to try to invoke some emotion. This is a simple biological issue not an emotional one.

If SFW steps up to do the transplant, then more power to them. I'll even volunteer to help them. But they'll have to do it on their own money, (about $1,000 per animal at the capture site) not on the 30% they give back directly to the DWR or the 60% they set aside to do habitat projects approved by the DWR since deer transplants are not approved by the DWR. And they'll probably have to show a release survival rate much higher than the current 3%-5% in order to keep doing it year in and year out.

And this is pretty much a slam dunk hunt, not a SUCKER hunt as he described the term.

"Yes, there's some real good doe hunting above Brian Head. Just cross the cattle guard and you'll be in doe haven. I think the property's called Cedar Breaks or some thing like that. Good luck"

Thanks for the laugh Blegit, I needed that today.

This is the winter range for these deer, you will not find them down low in the summer, at that time of the year they are high on this unit. There is a ton of em but killing the does is going to reduce the overall amount of deer on this unit. Oh well, its all about opportunity and some good meat. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom