Parallax adjustment?

Blueoak

Very Active Member
I am looking to buy a new leupold scope to replace the 2.5-8x30mm I have now. I was looking at the 3.5-10x40mm and put a range compensation reticule in it. The guy at premier reticule told me I should look at the 4.5-14x40 with the side focus parallax adjustment on it. He says it more accurate past 300yds. Any opinions?

Sounds like longer distance shooting is what you'll be doing since you are considering a range type reticle. I would then go with the 4.5-14 with the parallax adj. Look through the 3.5-10 scope at something small 300 yards away, and see if it moves, and how much, with respect to the recticle as you move your eye around behind the eyepiece.
In the latest Rifle magazine, John Barsness had an article on parallax and adjustable scopes.
Another option to the reticle would be the 4.5-14 M1 with the turrets. That way, you can use different numbers of clicks for different loads, as opposed to having reticle markings that are more load specific.

Doug/RedRabbit

Premier Reticle is an outstanding company. They could set your parallax at any distance you desire.

Is this a big game scope set up or varmint and bench shooting?? Which reticle?? Gen II Mil dot?? It is superb...

I also like an adjustable objective verses a side focus. A AO is somehow superior to a side focus, ala US Optics. Thats all they use on their very expensive scope line. Side focus is little more than a gimmick. True parallax correction is best done via an AO.

FWIW....

I am using it on my 7mm and looking to stay as close to the 2.5-8 in size and wieght as possible. Will the parralax make that big of differnce for hunting? Had not decided on a reticle yet. Don't think I need the Mil-dot with the range compensation reticle. Maybe the Boone and Crocket

Blueoak, if size and weight is a concern, leave off the AO all together. I hate them for a big game hunting scope. My opinion.

Most scopes are set from the factory parallax free for about 100 yards or so. If you are not shooting varmints or small targets at loooong distances, stick with a non AO scope. You'll be happier. Leupolds make several small, compact scopes.

Howdy,

Blueoak, Rangercon is giving you some good advice. If you look at adjustable objectives closely, you will notice lots of adjustment for ranges under 100 yards, and very little turning necessary for 100 yards to 200, and even less from 200 to 500 or whatever the limit of the range is. That simply means that there is less visible parallax at longer ranges than what is obvious at say 25 yards. If you are really into long distance shooting and being very very precise with said shooting... then by all means purchase the AO. But for my hunting, shots about 300 yards at the most, I don't need it and its extra weight and complexity. The more bells and whistles... the more things to go wrong!!! Just my .02

Coach

Thanks guys. I think the 3.5-10 will be fine. I shot this weekend and I don't think this parallax thing will be a problem either. I had to chronogragh my loads for this range compensation reticle. I got and average of 3298fps with a federal 140gr NP. Not bad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom